V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Squidly Do Right
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my experiement with the Roadhouse 2-1 (Flex Hose Design) was unsatisfactory.

It was more about personal tastes than anything. The pipe produced good numbers and had a decent sound. I did remove the baffle against the recommendation of the MFR. This did cause some slight discoloration of the canister. The Flex house was stainless steel and was bound to change colors even though I had a heavy exhaust wrap under it.

For more on this experiment everything is documented here: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61488

I decided to move on to my favorite pipe of the month -- the D & D Fat Cat (pics will follow in a few days).

Link to D & D: http://www.danddexhaust.com/

Jeremy at Competition Cycles did the install and the Dyna Tune. If you are in the Houston area and not using these guys you should give them a try. He is meticulous when tuning. I do have a Power Commander and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage Two.

He was able to squeeze out 78.62 HP and 81.83 Torque. This is a slight improvement (numbers-wise) over the Roadhouse which produced 75.58 HP and 80.97 Torque back in September.

Here is a link to the Dyno Report: http://www.geocities.com/achordc/05deluxe/05deluxefatcat.pdf

My thoughts on sound quality are that it is very tame at start up, but really has a nice low growl when you get on it. It is really quiet when out on the highway and cruising without accelerating. Like most pipes it sounds best when getting on it. However, my overall feeling is this is a great pipe if you live in a crowded area or want the ability to be kind to your neighbors. But you will not be disappointed when you get on it.

The quality is top notch with a very nice 2/3 heat shield.

Over this weekend I intend to take some pics and give more feedback.

My Roadhouse pipes will be up on Ebay soon through Competition Cycles. They do it for the exposure and I don't have to mess with the shipping.

Squid

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
The dyno is interesting. The D&D pipes look pretty good showing more area under the curve overall. Interesting minor dip in torque from 2,000 to 2,500, like they wanted a little more back pressure way down low (drag pipe style), then they really breathe up top, again like a freer flowing baffle design. Are the baffles tune-able? I am trying to do this with my V&H BS pipes, tune the power curve towards the low end, flatter out of the hole with a more steady climb, maybe sacrifice a little on the high end for that.

·
Squidly Do Right
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't know if they are tuneable?

But I don't know if I made it clear but the Red Line id the D & D and the Blue is the old Roadhouse.

I wish Had the orginal stock numbers ... but they are written down in the Road House link I posted.

EDITED: I went back and looked and I was at 66HP Stock. So from 66 - 79 HP is a great deal.

Squid

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
HD-LUX said:
The dyno is interesting. The D&D pipes look pretty good showing more area under the curve overall. Interesting minor dip in torque from 2,000 to 2,500, like they wanted a little more back pressure way down low (drag pipe style), then they really breathe up top, again like a freer flowing baffle design. Are the baffles tune-able? I am trying to do this with my V&H BS pipes, tune the power curve towards the low end, flatter out of the hole with a more steady climb, maybe sacrifice a little on the high end for that.
I have Fatcats on my 95 incher. It shows the same slight torgue dip, but you don't feel it in the butt dyno. Great pipes.

Teu

·
Registered
50 Posts
Squid, I am considering the FatCats for my 04 RK. Those are some good numbers you posted with the new pipes. What other Mods do your have on your bike?

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Teufelhunden said:
.. It shows the same slight torgue dip, but you don't feel it in the butt dyno ...
I've been told my V&H Bigshots do the same thing 'cause they are so wide open. Never dyno'd 'em but from a slow roll in 1st (taking the slack out of the drivetrain first) it seems a little flat until 3,000, then it really starts ripping (for a stock 88"er). I am going to try the Big City Thunder Monster baffles. Said to trade more down low for a little of that top end. We'll see.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
HD-LUX said:
I've been told my V&H Bigshots do the same thing 'cause they are so wide open. Never dyno'd 'em but from a slow roll in 1st (taking the slack out of the drivetrain first) it seems a little flat until 3,000, then it really starts ripping (for a stock 88"er). I am going to try the Big City Thunder Monster baffles. Said to trade more down low for a little of that top end. We'll see.
I keep tryin' to tell you guys about the way the "BuB's" work...and they bark kinda nice when ya want a little volumn...there is no real dip in the curve...I gotta find that dyno sheet!

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's not to shabby, I have a Stage 1 Flash and AC, what is the difference between that and the Arlen Ness Stage 2? I am planning to put on a SERT and the FatCats. Hopefully I can find a Tuner who can get me similar numbers to you.

·
Squidly Do Right
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is the difference between that and the Arlen Ness Stage 2
First off size is the main difference then shape. Forgive my lack of geometry terms ... but both are a trapazoidal cone shape (sic), just inverted.

Stage One is Fattest towards the back and smaller in the front. Apparently you can use the name plate off the stock air cleaner as an outter cover. So if you look at your stock aircleaner and the circle cover where it says Softail you can get a visual of the smallest outer diameter.

Stage Two is inverted with smaller end of cone to inside and much wider at the back and you have to buy an outer cover as you see on mine (Scalloped).

From Arlen's Site:

Stage I Kit features a Team Ness High-Flow filter that accepts all 1993-up oval or round OEM outer covers.

Stage II Kit features a 20% larger Team Ness High-Flow filter that requires an 8" round Ness or OEM outer cover.
LINK TO ARLEN NESS:
http://shop.arlenness.com/Productdetail.asp?SID=1&Category_ID=56&Product_ID=6985

Just remember if you get Stage 2 -- you will need to add bucks for a decorative cover and they are both "open air" design.

Hope that helps.

Squid

1 - 14 of 14 Posts