V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of repairing a 2001 Dyna FXDX I picked up as a salvage. Here's the link to eBay, where I got the bike: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4609980249&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT As you can see, the tank is pretty much shot.

While looking for a suitable replacement on eBay, I have found several nice 04-06 takeoffs, some complete with fuel gauge, tank strip and the cool aircraft style cap included.

Does anyone know if you can swap a newer tank to an older bike? Obviously the fuel gauge wiring would be no problem, but do the mounts line up? And how about the fuel petcock?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

Anyone know?

Thanks
Dan

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
i just took a 2004 lowrider tank to delaer to have it put on a 2003 SG. the only porblem I encountered was the wiring harness and tach were for 2004. They told me that 2004 they made changes but anything older would work.

the tank may need some shimming but no problem. I believe the petcock may need adapter if tank is for efi.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, I found the answer to my question.

A 2004 FXD tank DOES NOT fit a 2001 FXDX.:badmood: The mounting points on the 04 tank were 1" longer that the 01 tank. The wiring is different, as is the fuel petcock.

But... It's on the bike, working, and looks way cool.

First, I had to buy some connectors from Harley to rewire the sender and gauge to fit the harness on the bike. Less than $5.00 and 30 minutes of soldering. (oh, and a $5.00 toke to a HD wrench to let me photocopy the 04 wiring diagram). The petcock was no big deal either. Just had to buy the female to female fitting for an 04 petcock, and it all screwed together.

The front mounting points lined up, and the tunnel fit over the frame ok. However, the rear tabs were an inch past the holes in the frame, and stuck up above the frame as well. I thought about only using the front mounts, but with the rear tabs above the frame, they interfered with the seat.

What I did was take my Dremel to the ears, and cut them off so the seat would fit. I then removed the 5/16" torx screw on the rear of the tank that holds the dash cover on. I removed the speed nut from the tank tab, and carefully center punched the frame where tab on the tank meets it. I then drilled and tapped the top of the frame backbone, and used the same torx screw to hold the cover on the tank, and the tank to the frame....

Just thought I would let anyone else know who may be in the same predicament...

Thanks
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts