V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took this bike into the dealer as there was a clunking noise if I hit front brake hard or hit a bump in the road. Still under warrantee. They charged me $65.00 for an "adjustment" (adjustments not covered by warrantee) . Dealer retorqued head bolt but there is still a clunk--not as bad as it was--much better but still clunks when I brake hard several times with front brake. What is your recommendation when I return to the dealer with this problem?

Thanks group,

John

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
johneb48 said:
Took this bike into the dealer as there was a clunking noise if I hit front brake hard or hit a bump in the road. Still under warrantee. They charged me $65.00 for an "adjustment" (adjustments not covered by warrantee) . Dealer retorqued head bolt but there is still a clunk--not as bad as it was--much better but still clunks when I brake hard several times with front brake. What is your recommendation when I return to the dealer with this problem?

Thanks group,

John
my recommendation is,don't pay him again.you paid him to fix it,and it ain't fixed.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
What lbs did the dealer torque the head bolt to. There's a misprint in the factory service manual on head bolt torque. I had the same problem and I believe I torqued the head bolt to 90 ft lbs and the the clunk went away.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pinch bolts or head bolt??

The stealer is acting dumb about the factory memo to torque the head bolts to 100lbs now. I will check the pinch bolts.

·
But officer........
28 Posts
I had an '04 Deuce that did the same thing. took it in for 1st service at 500 miles and told the service manager about it. Said the fluid was not the right viscosity in the forks. Picked it up after service and it still did it. Took it back in and the service deptment said it just needed adjusted. What needed adjusted? Could tell me and the mechcanic that worked on it wasn't in today. So I guess just take it in for an adjustment:hystria:

By the way you should not have paid anything

Dino

·
Registered
184 Posts
clunk in the front

My 2001 fxst did that, until i had the fork oil changed and I put a fork brace on it. *i used a custom cycle engineering brace.
any way, i personally think its the valving on the forks.
because i thought the same thing about the sound "clunking"
and it really got straight when the oil changes (heavier) and the brace went on.

good luck

Trix

·
Registered
26 Posts
fork area clunk

Had this on my 05 fatty,dealer said nowt wrong,but it did not do it untill i had around 300 miles on the clock...then seemed to be getting worse and sort of resonating through the fork tins...horrid sound...sort of a clunk/ker-chinnnggg.
Anyhow,i eventually found that if i rolled forward on the bike in the garage,then banged the front brake on real hard it did it also,as the forks compressed heavily.
To cut a long story short i spun off the stem top cover bolt and nipped up the large bolt a bit at a time..the sound stopped.
Went back to dealer and told them to set up the fall away correctly{ you should loosen the pinch bolts and see when the forks swing a set amount you see}
Basically with how many people seem to get this i dont think the head bearings are being seated right,then after some pounding on the roud they settle in and hey presto its all slack,bumps just hammer that slack creating the clunk/bang/twang etc depending on the model. Personally i dont think theres any fault in any of the forks,when you look at how they work i cant see what would bang.
My experience here,but other have had the same,so its worth trying again..then get your money back. regards Dave. England

·
Registered
15 Posts
a few sugestions

First I would check and adjust the steeringhead bearing and check to see if that cures your problem. If not I would drain and replace your fork oil. I would also consider a slightly heaver oil. Screaming Eagle as well as others offer a 15 weight oil which can impove the front end. I know of some that have also added and extra ounce to each tube and have had good results.

Ric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts