V-Twin Forum banner

Trade car for bike? 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T vs. 2004 Heritage Softail classic

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wouldn’t just my 2 cents I picked up a sweet 92 haritage for $ 2800 one owner with low mileage I just put the bags on it View attachment 271333
Well, you stole that one.

It depends on mileage and condition. If your car has 150,000 miles and the bike has less than 25,000 miles and doesn't need anything. I would say, Good trade

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
... It is my daily driver and I'm only selling because I can't afford to buy gas with it having the 5.7 Hemi
Are you prepared to make a bike your daily driver? Most people couldn't give up the creature comforts of a car for a bike. Things like riding in all weather conditions, and living with something that is pretty maintenance intensive. And unless you have the tools and knowledge, you'll be paying someone else what they think they are worth to do it.

Speaking of maintenance, I would want to see complete maintenance records. And if you don't know much about bikes, better find a friend that does, or pay a mechanic to give it a thorough inspection before doing any swap.

And you should do a lot of studying of what could be problems that will have to be dealt with for an 18 year old bike. It might be new to you, but really, it's just an old bike. It won't be much fun having the bike in for some major engine work, waiting for parts that are delayed because of this Covid BS..

Gas mileage, the bike wins hands down. But that is only a small part of the tco.

And Softails aren't the most utilitarian transportation out there. You probably couldn't carry more than a couple of cases of beer in those bags.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you prepared to make a bike your daily driver? Most people couldn't give up the creature comforts of a car for a bike. Things like riding in all weather conditions, and living with something that is pretty maintenance intensive. And unless you have the tools and knowledge, you'll be paying someone else what they think they are worth to do it.

Speaking of maintenance, I would want to see complete maintenance records. And if you don't know much about bikes, better find a friend that does, or pay a mechanic to give it a thorough inspection before doing any swap.

And you should do a lot of studying of what could be problems that will have to be dealt with for an 18 year old bike. It might be new to you, but really, it's just an old bike. It won't be much fun having the bike in for some major engine work, waiting for parts that are delayed because of this Covid BS..

Gas mileage, the bike wins hands down. But that is only a small part of the tco.

And Softails aren't the most utilitarian transportation out there. You probably couldn't carry more than a couple of cases of beer in those bags.
You make a lot of valid points. Thank you. I also have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4×4 with the 5.7 Hemi that I guess I could use as my daily driver but then I'm defeating the purpose of selling my car

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
947 Posts
You make a lot of valid points. Thank you. I also have a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4×4 with the 5.7 Hemi that I guess I could use as my daily driver but then I'm defeating the purpose of selling my car
Hey back in the day if you couldn't carry a flat case of beer on your tank, you weren't worthy! LOL!

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Hey back in the day if you couldn't carry a flat case of beer on your tank, you weren't worthy! LOL!
I miss the days of riding to a PA hill climb with a case of Ortliebs and ice in my bags. A finer light beer was never had for 69¢ a 6 pack on sale in 89. Sold within 90 miles of Philly now belonging to Miller or bud one of those weird beers. There is a huge reef off the steel pier in Atlantic City made entirely of Joe's beer bottles contributed by yours truly.

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Well if you were down here near Myrtle Beach your car would sell for 11,000 at the least. This is muscle car heaven the bigger the engine the better. There are 2 dragstrips within 30 miles of me not to mention Darlington speedway. My neighbor builds race trucks and works on my vehicles. Lucky me.

·
Super Moderator
21,747 Posts
If both are in very good condition......

Next time you see the person with the Softail, pop em one in the nose. The Softail is worth $5400 to $7500. You might see a dealer asking $8500, but that's max finance value plus a grand down.

The charger R/T is worth $9000 to $12000, perhaps more in this market. Unless it has a hemi with a valve tic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im asking$6000 for my car but should probably be asking more because it is a limited edition. It is one of only 2000 made in 2006... The torred Daytona R/T... It is my daily driver and I'm only selling because I can't afford to buy gas with it having the 5.7 Hemi
You can buy a lot of gas with whatever you spend on a (probably new and instantly depreciating) replacement car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts