V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had almost the same problem. A spot on the wire leading to my voltage regulator had worn through the insulation (due to vibration, I guess) and would intermittently short out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I had almost the same problem. A spot on the wire leading to my voltage regulator had worn through the insulation (due to vibration, I guess) and would intermittently short out.
I did give that a look, and there did not seem to be any obvious wear points, but who knows. In any case, it has not done any malfunctioning since I borrowed a reg from a brother and put it on. I am going to put mine back on this weekend, and if it does it again, we know for sure that was the problem. I did test both my stator and regulator per the manual and very meticulously; both checked out to be fine, but there is always room for a diode within the reg to intermittently fail out, which I believe very well could be the issue. I will of course provide an update on this later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, my bike is now a battery murderer. What happens is, it will shut off while riding, sometimes, the gauges will go apeshit first or during, then, it wont start for a few mins, and then starts, and the next day, the battery will be toast- and by toast, I mean it will charge to 12 volts on a tender charger, but has no ass to start the bike and a load test reveals a smoked battery. I have done all the proper checks of the stator and the regulator.
Stator- none of the three coils are grounded to body, and resistance between coils is around .2 OHM, so that checks out, and it puts out 23 volts AC at idle ( I didnt rev it to check further)
I also did the checks of the reg, and it outputs 14.3 volts at any RPM, and with the positive meter lead on each AC output wire, and the negative lead on each battery charge wire, the meter reads .5 volts and an infinite reading with the leads reversed.
What Im guessing, and hoping, is that the regulator is intermittently overloading the battery to 16 volts, causing the shutoff and burning up the battery?
The battery isnt smoking or exploding of course.
What should I do? Reg and stator checked out. Replace reg and see if problem goes away?
the bike shutting down an d restarting after a few minutes sounds like a bank angle sensor

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
the bike shutting down an d restarting after a few minutes sounds like a bank angle sensor
Id totally agree if it had thrown that code and didnt drain both batteries to the point of no recovery. Ive since borrowed a regulator and havent had any trouble since that day. I will be putting my reg back on to see if it gives me any trouble, as Ive gone through all the wiring and the fuse panel and cleaned everything and did that around the same time I borrowed the loaner regulator. If it does it again, I know for a fact its my reg, even though my reg checks out fine.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts