V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little late but better than never..........haven't taken mine in yet because I already put it up for winter (up der in Wisconsin don't you know). The dealer said if the tank is worn he could have it for a month waiting for a new tank.

HD recal 0122-2004 Dyna Models Throttle Cable

For 2004 Dyna FXDL/I, FXDWG/I, FXD/I, FXDX/I, AND FXDP models built from June 11, 2003 through Feb 2, 2004.

The affected motorcycles have a condition that may allow the throttle cables to contact the tunnel portion of the fuel tank. In this condition the cables could eventually wear through the tank, causing a fuel tank leak, theegy presenting the risk of a fire and possible injury or death to the rider.

The NHTS site (NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V430000) lists 12398 vehicles effected.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
This is just my 2 cents worth on the throttle/idel cable bulletin. I have a wideglide but I think they are the same as far as the cable routing goes. I would remove the forward mount bolt for the gas tank, lift the front of the tank a couple of inches, and inspect the routing using a strong flashlight. You should be able to #1: see if the cables even rubbing on the tank, and #2: if they are rubbing, how much. The cables on my WG run through a type of standoff bracket. Just guessing the lowrider is the same. Of course, if you have any doubts, err on the side of safety.

Hey..I have an even BETTER idea. Go to www.magnumshielding.com and buy you a set of BEAUTIFUL cables with super clear teflon coating and wrap additional antichafe wrap around the area that contacts the tank. (Again, this is assuming you don't have damage that requires a tank replacement)

Okay..that's my Pensacola, Florida input. It was only 72 degrees here today.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the bike back from the dealer yesterday after the recall was done. The issue was the throttle cable routing (too sharp of a bend). With ~4K miles on the bike the throttle cable had already cut through the cable jacket and made a nick in the tank. They replaced the cables, put some paint on the nick and rerouted the cables. Anyway, it's fixed. Went for a ride and it felt darn good!

·
Sick Puppy
1,703 Posts
took 3 mos. to get my tank and they still forgot to order the cables!Lame very lame

·
Registered
4 Posts
steveusmc said:
Okay..that's my Pensacola, Florida input. It was only 72 degrees here today.

Semper Fi,
Steve....Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

It might be nice now but talk to me in August when it is 87 degrees here.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
My '04 WGI "Not Effected"

Took my Dyna to the dealer when this service 'bulletin' came to my attention. The warranty manager at the dealer said that my bike was not within the group that had the throttle cable 'chafe' problem. A week or so later, my curiosity kiling me, I removed the tank to find bare idle return cable and a spot on the botton of the tank rubbed about half way through the steel tunnel edge. They lied to me!

I mixed up some JB weld and covered the spot on the tank and modified the cable bracket on the throttle body to allow the throttle cable to lay lower toward the frame. I also checked the '05 throttle body bracket at the dealer parts catalog and the same bracket was used.

What was the fix by a dealer for this condition? I do not see how the cables could be rerouted without binding the throttle return.....Do they 'beat a dent' in the bottom of the tank?

I believe I know why I was lied to about this; I have HD custom paint! They didn't want to pay for their mistake THAT much!

HD is killing us!! Slowly...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have HD custom paint on my WG. Dlr changed the tank and cables. now down the road a few years. I am starting to see an issue where it will start to rub again without a rubber pad installed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts