V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just now getting back into motorcycles after a 26 year layoff. Was a very important part of my life from ages 14 thru 21. Honda 90, Honda 70, Yamaha DT-3, Yamaha RD-250. Never, ever had a wreck or spill, but had about 5,000 close calls. Just woke up one sunny summer morning, looked out at the trees and blue sky and said to myself, better quit while you are ahead. Only been on a couple of dirt bikes since, never on hard road. Never lost interest though, read the magazines fairly regularly, kept myself occupied drag racing cars. Always some bikes at the races, and kept an eye on them too. Always kind of knew I would return to motorcycles someday, so I guess that time is very near. Always knew I had to at least make restitution for the *** bikes, (I claim youthful innocence) could take it no longer and ordered the Sportster. If you put the Harley catalog in front of me and said "take your pick", it would without question be the XLH 883. Plan for now is just to look at it, don't even plan to ride it, yes I can do it. I love all motor vehicles, and can look at them for hours as mechanical art. Maybe start a small collection, an older Sportster, an Ameracchi/Harley, a Triumph or BSA maybe. Been going thru my old magazines for about a year now (I never throw ANYTHING away) and watched "Then Came Bronson" not long ago (hey, Bronson rode a Sportster) , so I am pretty excited. Hope everyone here does not jump all over me for my decision not to ride for now. I am not saying that I will never ride again, just not now at this point in my life. Besides that, I wrecked on my bicycle (real bad) last week, had to spend a couple of days in the hospital, so that kind of makes it easy to defend my stance also. Found out about this site thru the Turbo Diesel Register (a Cummins/Dodge Ram club), and am having a good time reading the posts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey man, to each his own and all, but if you just wanna look at it, it may be cheaper and easier just to hang a poster of one in your garage.;)

Just messin with ya. Good luck with it, I'll bet you end up putting some miles on it before you know it.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome aboard,roycrown!

You may get a few "Harleys are made for ridin'"responses,but wtf,different strokes!Congrats on your new Sportster.

Glad you joined us,hope your recovery is a speedy one.

Enjoy the forum.
guido

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
sounds like deep down you yearn to ride. you need to overcome your fears of motorcycling and ride, because life is too short not too.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I'll split the cost with you and you can look at it all night and I can ride it during the day, ok?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, not too bad so far. I am kind of prepared for any and all responses cause when I joined the TDR (Cummins/Ram club) I had just ordered my Ram after years of saving, saving, saving and made a post not that much different than the above, that I planned to keep it forever, and look at it more than drive it, got some rather critical resposes. Well, it is almost 4 years old, has provided me with immense pleasure, and as of today has 397 miles on it , so I've proved I can do it. I almost bought a Sporty 2 years ago, been fighting it ever since, trying to hold out for an '03. I know the XLH is the cheapest model, not all that rare or special, but if you "sit on it" for 20 years, you will really have something, that's my plan. If (when?) I do decide to take a ride, I will buy a used one. Just so everyone knows how I plan to take care of the new Sporster, it is going to live in my spare bedroom. Any guests will have to sleep elswhere!!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Well, you've kind of bared your soul to us already...so I don't feel wrong about asking......are you filthy rich and drive other stuff or are you driving a beater so you can leave the ram in the garage?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Filthy rich, no. Just somehow? managed to stay single, don't waste my money on stupid stuff like food/clothing/etc, and yes, drive beaters for daily use. Current one is a 1980 Dodge Diplomat with 337,000 miles on it. Getting pretty rusty, but drives real nice. Paid $900 for it 9 years ago. Without question the very best vehicle I have ever owned. Spend my money on the important things in life like cars/trucks/boats/guns/and now motorcycles.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not being critical here, just asking a question. If you really wanna just park the bike/truck, and not drive it, why not by something that has the potential of returning your investment. You know, something a little rare, or somehow collectible.

A Harley, and a Dodge truck will be worth the same 15 years from now if they have 500 miles, or 50,000 miles. In fact, just for my own curiosity, I ran a 1985 Crewcab F350 through Kelly's Blue Book. That truck, with 466 miles, with EVERY option, is worth $6300.

Again, I'm not slamming you, just curious is all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My goal is not to sell, or return on investment, my goal is to please myself, at this point in time. In the rare event some private individual even does turn a profit on a vehicle, how many people have you ever heard say "Boy I'm glad I sold that car/truck/motorcycle" ? More often than not it is just the opposite. I have a couple of musclecars which perhaps reached their zenith as far as monetary value goes about 1989-90. They might? now be "worth" half of what they were then according to some "blue book" or whatever. What does it matter?, I still got 'em. I am asked almost weekley "what are they worth, what are they worth"? My answer is always the same, They aren't worth anything, unless you sell them. They pleased me then, (27 and 25 years ago), they still do.

By the way, I will readily admit to being somewhat eccentric.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
any interesting guns? Do you shoot them? With 337,000 miles on the diplomat you do drive but wouldn't you ehjoy using some of your toys? Life is way too short, whatever makes you happy is what is important. I personally couldn't just look at my bike, trucks, and guns. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Currently have 21 guns, nothing really rare or exotic, many are still availible for anyone to buy new at thier dealer. All are important to me, some VERY special, probably to me only, and unfortunately for some who will read this over half of them are still new in the box.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I bought a Colt Delta Elite First Edition (10 mm) from a collector. Took it home, opened the snazzy presentation case, loaded 'er up and went to the target range. If I just wanted to look at it, I could have just gotten a picute of one.

my $0.02

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I can see both sides of the story. I have show cars I don't drive. They are just for show,but why own something that you don't use for it's intended purpose? Not to mention, if you don't drive them enough, it will cause mechanical problems down the road. It's your life, live it the way you see fit. However, I think you may ride the Sportster more than you intended. Just my $.02. J.T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts