V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from the local dealer. He had two '03 Ultra Classics, a Softail, 3 or 4 Sportsters and several V-Rods on the floor. Had a few other but I can't remember what they are.
Ultra Classics $22,400
Sportsters $8700-$10,200
V-Rods $20,500

I'm not shopping for a new one but was curious to know if these are decent prices or not. The shop has a good reputation for being fair and giving customers quality service.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Few places I've been are selling for that & even more. Local place wanted $21,500 for 2003 RK without the fancy 'gold ket' package.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
If that's not an MSRP-based price, than no it is not a good price. In other words...pay MSRP + tax + shipping + a few hundred for set-up + fees and it is as good as the deal gets. Those prices (if they are before tax and set-up) are about $2500 too high.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My stealer will charge MSRP if you order and more than what you listed for one off the floor.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I agree. Anything more than a few dollars over msrp is too high.

I am assuming the prices do NOT include "freight" and "prep". I am also assuming, the bikes are stock. IMHO, and you can check the "official" H/D site for msrp, the prices listed are too high. Even for the Sportsters.

And this is the dealer who has a reputation for being "FAIR"!!!! Hmmmm.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bikes were the 100th anny with all the pretty little doodads. Prices were excluding ttl, everything else was figured in. I checked MSRP before I looked at the bikes. He (the dealer) was 1k to 1.5 k above MSRP. I haven't been looking at prices cause I don't need a new bike. I was just wondering if he was along the lines of other dealers or not. I've heard stories about dealers wanting 25k to 27k for the ultras.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Just picked up my Silver and Black 03 Ultra from HD of Seaford, Delaware. Paid just under $24,000.00 including tax, setup, freight, 5 year tag, 7 year extended warruntee <sp> ,Gold Key package and about $400.00 worth other extras. Same bike at Mikes Famous (Infamous) HD of New Castle, Delaware would have cost me about 3K-4k more for the bike alone before any of the extras. He wants 32K+ for V-Rods.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
32k?, that's gotta' be a mistake. MSRP is only 18.6 G's, that's 37 G's for 2!!! If that really was the case then this dealer would be out of business.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Assuming you have included the options for security system, ESPI, and adding in $215, it looks like they are hitting you for about $1, 090 over MSRP. Seems a little steep to me, considering they would like you to be a satisfied customer that continues to do business with them.

(OK, Ok, stop laughing, I'm sure there is one left out there.) If, however you aren't getting any options you're looking at another 800 bucks on top of MSRP.

I suggest you print the Spec sheet from the HD website and take it in to the dealer and let him/ her "show you the money." It's quite possible he will stick to his figure, whether you like it or not, especially if he/ she is sitting on your non-refundable deposit. But at least you will have the pleasure of making him look you in the face while he ***** you.

PS. I know they hold all the cards here, but I would think anything over 500 bucks in their pocket is highway robbery. If some of you out there disagree please say so, I don't want to give bad advise to anyone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I stopped by Mike's Famous HD last March because I heard they had a Low Rider in stock.
They had one...MSRP was $15,700...they were asking $19,200!

In this part of the country very few dealers have bikes sitting in the showroom. The few that do charge big time premiums.

I wonder how/why these overcharging dealers get such large allotments of Bikes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looked around a bit before I ordered my bike. FWIW, here is my spin. The smaller dealers, especially rural ones, generally have fewer bikes, sometimes none to choose from, but better prices. The bigger urban dealers have bigger allotments, but invariably they have higher prices. I called one dealer, he gave me a price, I told him what color I wanted. The response was "Put down a deposit, you may get that color, you may not" In other words "you'll have to take what we get". Next stop was my local dealer. Told them the price I was quoted, asked them to match it. They would not match price, but got pretty close (within a few hundred). Then I told them I wanted a certain color, no ifs ands or buts, I wanted white. Salesman said no way, allotment was set, I could not get white. (Red, white and blue bikes are being built in very small numbers in '03). I was still adament about wanting white, so the salesman goes to the manager and pleads my case. Sales manager then calls Milwaukee and asks for an "allotment switch". All that means is they asked if they could switch my bike, an XL1200S for another white Sportster in the allotment pipeline. Factory calls back about 4 hours later, salesman calls me and says yes I can get white, do you want it? All of this before I put any money down. Went in the next day and put down a deposit. This dealer is known as one of the biggest stealers around, the price tags on the Big Twins will literally make you gag...(not as bad on Sportsters, thankfully)
What I'm trying to say is this. HOW PICKY ARE YOU? No doubt I could have gone somewhere else and gotten a 1200S for less, but the chances of getting a white one were slim and none (and Slim just left town). I paid a little more and got EXACTLY what I wanted, a White Pearl 1200S. This dealer is one of the biggest dealers in the East, and they are only getting 2 white Sportsters of any kind all year. Now they could have said, sorry, that's the price, take what we give you. But they went the extra mile and got me what I wanted. It's was worth it to me, my bike will be different than the much more common gunmetal and black bikes (not to mention the fact that I would be happiest with white.) Bottom line, some dealers will screw you and give you an attitude to boot. Mine didn't. It's up to the buyer to decide if it's a good deal, oftentimes several factors come into play, the biggest of which can be availabilty. If you are not picky, and are willing to travel out of town then by all means shop around, you'll probably save some bucks. Sorry to ramble...

Tom S.
'03 XL1200S due in Nov...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
DJW said:
Assuming you have included the options for security system, ESPI, and adding in $215, it looks like they are hitting you for about $1, 090 over MSRP. Seems a little steep to me, considering they would like you to be a satisfied customer that continues to do business with them.

(OK, Ok, stop laughing, I'm sure there is one left out there.) If, however you aren't getting any options you're looking at another 800 bucks on top of MSRP.

I suggest you print the Spec sheet from the HD website and take it in to the dealer and let him/ her "show you the money." It's quite possible he will stick to his figure, whether you like it or not, especially if he/ she is sitting on your non-refundable deposit. But at least you will have the pleasure of making him look you in the face while he ***** you.

PS. I know they hold all the cards here, but I would think anything over 500 bucks in their pocket is highway robbery. If some of you out there disagree please say so, I don't want to give bad advise to anyone.
RF52 said out the door, so you have to consider delivery/setup and taxes/tags. Sounds like an msrp deal to me.

wyo

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have about 6 dealerships within 30 minutes of my house here in Northern CA., and I've been to all of them over the past three weeks.
Every dealership I've gone to minus one has several 2003's on the floor for taking. Some dealers at MSRP some not. Its about a 50/50 split.

At one as of yesterday, you could get a silver/black heritage, three
1200 sporties, one black, two gunmetal and a gunmetal wideglide. All
six of these bikes are a couple grand over msrp. But you can choose and
take it home right then.

Another as of yesterday has a black deuce and a black 1200 sporty.
These were at MSRP, but the dealer had added 1,200 bucks worth of
chrome and stuff to them to get the price up.

Another dealer, who is known for MSRP sales, has four
different sporties, two 883's with gunmetal, one 1200 with black, one 1200 with silver and black and two heritage's one silver and black and
one all black. All these bikes are MSRP with the gold package.
A few were sold a few not. First come first serve, so they claimed..

And finally, one I went to last week, that is known for not having a huge
selection on the floor (mostly they take deposits and order), had one
2003 on the floor, a black road king, that was spoken for. They told
me you have to order a bike, with deposit and then wait.. They said
right now its about four months (December), and that wasn't gauranteed.

My first three examples are dealerships that have bikes on the floor.
None of these are special orders. I asked and they said special order
bikes aren't put on the floor, unless someone backed out of their
deposit.

Doesn't seem to be too different around here in terms of pricing from
last year or the year before.. Not sure why, but maybe its because they
move a lot of bikes out here, due to the huge population.

I still haven't seen or heard of any local HD's around here getting a SE
deuce or road king, but I've seen one SE deuce on ebay, so some dealer
is getting them! nickp.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
wyodude said:

RF52 said out the door

wyo
Hey if that price includes tax, the tax on 17,000 (assume 8%) would bring the total to quick 18,360. If the OTD price includes tax, title and shipping then, hell yeah!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a Heritage on order due to come in sometime in December. Originally order a GunMetal Pearl, when the two-tones finally came out I decided to switch to the two-tone. Went into my dealer a month ago and made the switch, he didn't think there would be a problem with the switch since we were so far out. Well, just found out last night that he cannot make the switch. "The motor company will not do it" So I am not sure what is going to happen now. I will know more tomorrow after they have a sales meeting on how to handle this. They said they are not going to do any pre-orders again, so he was talking about giving my deposit back and then I could come in in January and get one of the first two-tones they get it. It seems to me there could be a slight chance they could not get any two-tone Heritages in. So I am taking a risk, but not a one in getting the color I want.

I thought maybe I could try another dealer but after reading the posts in this thread it sounds like some are really overpriced.

Guess I will see what I found out tomorrow and go from there. They definitely hold all the cards and that can get frustrating.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I live in Chicago area, with about 15 dealers within 30 min. to an hour. I checked with quite a few on pricing. About 50-50 as far as selling at MSRP, $1000 over is pretty common. What I found is that dealers that will get you what you want charge a little over, while dealers that sell at first come, first serve, are closer to MSRP.

I wanted a white '03 Standard in late winter, early spring. The dealer I went with told me I could get whatever color I want, with whatever delivery date I want. (as long as it was between Oct. '02 and April '03) I paid $1000 over. In short, my observation is that if you want a particular bike, especially the harder to find bikes in harder to find colors, you are going to pay a little over MSRP.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
03FLSTCI said:
So I am taking a risk, but not a one in getting the color I want.
03FLSTCI,

Regardless of the color, is this the bike you want? If so, buy the f*cker, ride it for a season or two and then get a custom paint job. Harleys are all about customization!

wyo

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.