V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the stock ride height is 25.2” or close to that at seat height. Is that dry weight or with a rider? I was wondering how I measure that. What point of the seat am I using? A fellow fxdl rider said he thinks my bike has lowered springs. I want to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
IIRC lowered springs are visibly obvious. If you check out pics of 03 FXD, a lowered bike has rear shocks that are several inches lower. Now, a 03 FXDL has more rake than an FXD and a lower seat as well. Those two things give a lowered seat position, feel, look and CG - but you can put the same FXDL seat on an FXD and have close to the same seat height. IIRC the FXD has 28 degrees rake and the FXDL is 32. So - if your bike has lowered springs - that's very obvious. WRT measuring seat height - I'd say compare it to your inseam as opposed to random measurements. Then go sit on a few bikes - if you can sit flat-footed, don't worry about it and if you can't - but are not unsteady, don't worry about it. Too easy to get wrapped up in overthinking pole-vaulting mouse turds. KISS.

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
202 Posts
Usually shock manufacturers will list stock length for your shocks, JP Cycles sometimes also, if you can find the stock length then measure center to center on mounting bolts and compare the two measurements. You should tell us what bike your working on may someone knows.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Usually shock manufacturers will list stock length for your shocks, JP Cycles sometimes also, if you can find the stock length then measure center to center on mounting bolts and compare the two measurements. You should tell us what bike your working on may someone knows.
Thank you. 2003 FXDL

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
202 Posts
I’m assuming this is a measurement of the shock itself, not under any load?

That is the shock length center to center of mounting bolts or studs fully extended, which can be measured sitting on the kickstand because on a Harley sport bike the spring has the shock fully extended until you sit on it. If your rear shocks sag before you sit on it you need new shocks a long time ago. Providing it is in stock trim and not loaded down with gear.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Not to mention, there are brackets that reposition the stock shocks on the swingarm to lower the rear end. So you might have regular length shocks. And if you don't know what you are looking at, you might think those brackets are stock too.

Sorry, I wasn't going to mention that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The reason I ask is because I want to lower it but I’m not sure what shocks I have are stock or not. Was just trying to figure out how to measure without removing my shocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts