V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the HD tach kit on my 2003 fxd. Does anyone know the final answer to where the wires connect? I found the instructions useless.

I connected tach orange to the orange/white in slot 1 in the 20B connector, The tach black ground to black in slot 12, and the pink to slot 7. I started up and the tach works but most of my indicator lights and check engine light came on. If I disconnect the orange it's normal (no tach) but the check engine light is on.

I found a post that said to connect the tach orange to orange in slot 6 but I have black in slot 6. I also found in the instructions where it said to connect orange to slot 1 and then a couple of lines down to slot 6. To think the company only charges close to $200 for this quality.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is one of the worst kits Harley makes. It took me a long time to figure out that there were extra parts because the kit will fit different model years with different connectors. The next hardest thing to figure out was how to get the connector pins in and out.

To make it all fit, I took the speedo out and put everything together on a table. I had to sketch the circuit and plan my own method of getting it hooked up. I remember I had to solder into the black wires because there were already 2 or 3 hooked together.

If you can't sketch the wiring and understand it, get a friend who can help you, otherwise I think you'll have to have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
jsquir -

Just be sure you tighten the bolts that hold the new bracket to the bars to the proper torque setting. I forget what the book calls for, but if you just tighten them up good and snug, you can develop a stress crack across the bracket below the gauges and the whole thing will just fall off. Don't ask me how I know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts