V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'd like to say hello to the forum. I am soon to be a first time Harley owner. Signed for a 2003 black Fatboy today. Should have about 1 year from now.

I was searching the net tonight looking for alarm and security items to protect my new baby. I wanted to ask the room's opinion about electronic systems. I plan on getting an ABUS lock and chain of somekind, but I also wanted another alarm system.

I've searched the boards for such items, but I didn't have much luck finding the info I was looking for.

I'd like to ask about some of your experiences with the factory security system, and others like Thunder Page, Ungo, Nady and Armed Guard.

Thanks to everyone for helping out the new guy.

See ya on the road.

Ride Safe.

Wardhawg.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Wardhog, I just wanted to jump in here and welcome you real quick. I don't have an electronic security system so can't help you much but I'm sure someone can.

Since you will be a first time Harley owner maybe I need to ride it for you the first few thousand miles to make sure everything checks out ok. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Breaking In New Bike.

Fithgear,,

I can be of great assistance in helping you break in that '03 model for that gentleman. Between the 2 of us, it will be done properly and with great care.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Welcome to the board and to the world of Harley ownership. I was waiting to get a 2003, but I found a 2002 FLSTSI that was too good to pass up. My wife told me I should still get a 2003 since I made the LIST! Man I love that woman! Anyway, I don't have an alarm system either. A good lock and chain is an effective deterent to a would-be thief. Having had my 47' Knuckle stolen even being chained up at my house, I can tell you that if someone wants it bad enough, they will find a way to get it. just my .02 worth. The folks here are very friendly and knowledgable, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Ride safe and sober

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Wardhog,

I ordered an '02 FatBoy a couple of weeks ago. HD's security system (a $275 option) seemed like a reasonable investment. When armed, if the bike is move, both the electronic and fuel systems are disabled. You can add a 125 db screamer for another $60.

Your idea about an ABUS lock is a god one, take a look at the Super Magnum.

Regards,
wyodude

BTW, what is the going price for a '03 FatBoy?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wyodude,

The prices are not out yet for the 2003's. At least my store didn't have them yet. We just wrote up the ticket for an '03, and I gave him $500. They told me to come back about August and we'll pick out options and price it out.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Alarms

If your looking for a good alarm with some great features I've got to recommend the "Scorpio" system by Aritronix.(aritronix.com) I think mine was about $300 US and has great features. It has a built in gravity sensor so when the bike is tilted it sets it off with lights flashing and alarm. It also has an adjustable perimeter sensor that chirps when people get too close then goes berzerk when they don't step away. For an additional $15 US I got the harness splitter for a Harley Davidson that allows you connect everything except the anti-hijack relay without cutting into factory wires. And for another $15 US I got the anti-hijack relay. This is well worth it if you ride at home alone one night and some thug decides to jump you at a stop sign or light and steal your bike. If your ever overtaken and they take off, let them get going a few yards then press buttons 1 and 2 and the lights flash and 10 seconds later the bike dies and cannot be restarted until you reset it yourself by the remote. Especially with todays insurance company tightwads its better to have your bike layed down than to have it totally stolen. You can also get silent pagers and stuff but I didn't need all that.

Anyway its a great system. And spending a few hundred bucks for a 20,000+ investment is a wise idea.

Just my 2 cents. Hope I helped.
Stay on 2.
Timbo
www.timswaim.com

·
Registered
71 Posts
03' Bikes

They are available to order already? See here's my plan:

1. Pay off my wife's car. This should happen pretty soon, like next month.

2. Sell a couple of my other toys, get cash for down payment.

3. Find a dealership with a Fatboy I like.

4. Make the deal.

5. Ride off into the sunset.

Think this'll work? I just don't want to wait a year. I have a riceburner to ride, but I want to be on a Harley again this summer.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Higmo-

I walked into my dealer last month and bought a fat boy for MSRP that was on the floor. I suspect anything still around in March will have a hefty mark-up on it......in Michigan we are notorious for overpaying for almost anything in the spring....golf clubs, convertibles, motorcycles, boats............Maybe it's just a local (and temporary) situation but I see all kinds of bikes in inventory.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Logical,

That's what I was thinking too. I "think" I'll be able to purchase sometime around June. I know that's a shitty time to shoot for, but all my fiscal arrows point to then. I am hoping I can get into something around then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Being a rider for the past 15 years,I would stay away from the disc lock.They are WAY to easy to forget to take off.And you can imangine what happens if you try to take off.Being its your first bike,you are going to have alot of things going through you mind the first couple of months.Remembering to take a disc lock off shouldnt be one of them.I watched two people last year dump it on a charity ride we were on with those.Just would hate to see you put that new ride down.Get a good alarm,and maybey a coated chain and lock..those you can see.Like the other guys say if they want it bad enough..they are going to get it..good luck!!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
errrr yeah, be sure to wrap that chain three times around the kick starter.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I'd have explained how wrapping the chain twice doesn't change the fact that it still only has to be cut once but we'd be up all night so I didn't even try.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Fortunately, I shelled out the extra $1299 for the electric start option when I ordered my Fat Boy and don't have that to worry about. That optional automatic transmision is nice too....worth every penny.

Even though he just gives us more ammo with every post guys...we have to ignore him so he will go away. I know, I know....it's harder for me than anyone but I'm gonna try.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
A 22 year old unemployed high school drop-out with a passive/agressive personality and a bad attitute. Frankly, his best chance at success is a life of crime.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ignoring V -Rob

I'm brand spanking new to this forum, but I have already had time to get the feeling that I will find a home here. Unfortunately, there are guys like V-Rob everywhere on the net. I thought that I had finally gotten around them when I found this site.

I was usually seeing people, myself included, getting attacked for being Harley riders. There seems to be way to much hostility towards us... I assume it is envy for riding what we want to ride instead of settling.

I'm not going to let V-Rob ruin what I have found to be a good community of riders. I hope to interact with each of you over time.

Budman

1 - 20 of 29 Posts