V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one out there know of any one that has this compass?

I am thinking of getting one and would be interested in hearing from some one that already has one.

Wanderer

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Someone said they always point to Milwaukee.

Wouldn't doubt it if they are made by the same dudes that make the air temp gauge. LOL

·
Registered
695 Posts
Would that be the Hong Kong Foo-wee China boys?

wanderer1946,
The people I've over heard talking about this compass didn't have anything good to say about it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
HIPPO said:
Wouldn't doubt it if they are made by the same dudes that make the air temp gauge. LOL
If they're made by the same place as the fuel gauge, Ya'll never find your way home!!! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have one on my 03 FLHTCI, It's better than having the Ambient air temp gauge (which is worthless), but I'm thinking about replacing it with a oil temp guage. I think that this would be more useful. I've had no problems with the compass and my riding buddies think it's pretty cool. One guy thought it was stock on all the FLHT and was impressed. I asked the salesman why a air temp guage instead of something more useful, his response was that this way the Yuppies would know when it was cold outside and that they should put on their jackets!

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I have it on my 03 FLHTCUI. The dealer installed it in 3 1/2 hours and had a hard time calibrating it. I recalibrated it the next day because he had it in the wrong zone. Anyway, it works great except every once in a while it will "lock up" and not change direction. If you turn off the ignition switch and then turn it back on, it will change to the correct heading. I told the dealer about the problem I was having and he called me back two days ago and said that he had talked with the big H-D in the sky. They told him that yes, there was a problem with the compasses and it involved the front wheel. They also told him that there was a service bulletin coming out on what to do. Sooooo, I'm waiting. P.S., it is a hell of a lot better to know where you're going than knowing what temperature it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks chuckfw,

Your story matches mine exactly.
My dealer also had a lot of trouble installing the kit and the last time I talked with them indicated a concern that the problem was fixable. I hope they are wrong. I really like the look of the in dash compass and it does work well at slow speeds below about 20 mph.

Wanderer

·
Registered
61 Posts
The price for the electronic compass was a little high for my taste, foung a handle-bar mounted magnetic compass @ www.formotionproducts.com for less than $40.00 + shipping. Not lit at night but looks good.
As far as the ambient temp gauge, the temp sensor is mounted under the fairing and gets no air, also mounted beside the headlamp & picks up heat from that.
I pulled the sensor down into the airstream & taped to the clutch cable, just out of sight. You can actually do this without taking off the front fairing & have enough wire to do this. The next time I have the fairing off, I'll probably splice in some extra wiring & make a more permanent mount. The result is that now the temp gauge now shows the actual ambient temp. Such a simple solution.
Now if I could just figure out why I need it in the first place I'll be set.
'02 FLHTCI

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
sobmstr said:
a handle-bar mounted magnetic compass for less than $40.00

:D

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
If I ride for a day and it gets warmer I am going south.

If I ride for a day and it gets colder I am going north.

If I ride for an hour and hit the ocean I am going east.

If i ride for days and hit ocean I am going west.

sunrise and sunset helps at times(unless it is dark out).

Just being a wiseass, I don't need temp or a compass, oil temp would be nice though( I have white faced gauges so I don't think I can do oil temp and have it match).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Instead of an air temp gage or a compass I went with and oil temp gage. It was $85 and suppies me better information than the other too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got the temp gauge from here. http://www.wallyscycleworld.com/onlinespecials.asp

Instructions for installation can be found on-line in pdf format. I didn't follow they way of wiring. I made pigtail wires with flat terminals to plug into the existing connectors rather than cutting them off. I also took the small yellow rubber sleeve off the HD temp gauge light and put it over the oil temp light so all the lighting is the same shade. The only difference that is noticeable is the oil temp gauge does not have the silver trim on the front edge of the gauge.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Help!

My electronic compass kit came without any installation instructions in the box. Anyone here have their left over instructions that they could fax or mail to me?

Dealer doesn't have any more kits on order, so he doesn't have any instructions. He is going to try and get a set from HD, but no telling how long that could take.....

If anyone can help out, e-mail me at

[email protected]

and I'll get back to you with the fax number, or mailing address..... whichever way you prefer.

Thanks in advance,
DaveT

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Dave,

I emailed you that I would fax you the instructions tonight from home if you wish.

So far, I still haven't heard if HD has put out a bulletin about the correction we are having. My dealer told me that HD has the fix resolution, but they havent sent it to the dealers yet.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thanks Chuck!

Thanks Chuck, received your e-mail and replied......

Be glad to buy you a good BBQ lunch if we catch a nice weekend and you want to meet in Jacksboro.......

·
Registered
977 Posts
Boomer,

Will do Boomer, it would be good to see everyone again ! And maybe we can get the opportunity to meet Chuck also..... another great Tejas rider !

I would have hollered at you earlier, but I didn't know how long it was gonna take you to get over all that 'newlywed' stuff !!! LOL !

1 - 20 of 73 Posts