V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nope..There is better bang for the buck if you can wander away from the HD dealer for a while. Here's what I did:

Bought a set of used cylinders and heads on Ebay...$275

Sent them to Short Block Charlies for boring, fitting of SE pistons, head work & cometic gaskets....around $850 I think

Bought an Andrews TW37 cam...$190

Had a local inidendant I trust do the install...$540 + gaskets & new cam sprockets= $700

Had stage II reflash done..$150

Sold my cylinders and heads on Ebay...-$260

Total cost $1905

HD stage II kit with heads costs a bit more and the heads areof lesser quality.

Great set-up. No excess down time. Bike runs like a bat out of hell.

YMMV

Ken

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ultra, I think that your setup sounds great. But it should also be stated that this would void your waranty. JimmyK could speak to this better than I but I think it would.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bike's an '01 and has been out of warranty for a while. No concern to me. But saving money over the Screamin Eagle set-up was.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
JWB, there are quite a few posts on this subject. Since you have an 03 and presumably are still under warranty, a very real advantage to using your dealer IS the warranty. I got a stage 2 big bore w/ cams on my 02 efi., plus a couple other things. Head bolt broke about 3500 miles later (plus head gasket). Dealer picked up the bike and had it fixed in 24 hours under warranty. No way to be sure I suppose, but i am reasonably confident I would have paid for this had I saved money by going aftermarket for the "stage 2 ".

I have no interest in doing any work myself, so had I gone elsewhere i still would have had to find someone trustworthy. If I could do the work myself, and if not for the warranty issue i would have used SBC in Arizona. However, kind of problematic to have one shop do some of the work and another shop install it. jmho

btw, the stage 2 is terriffic!!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
once the bike is out the door, any big bore kit is not under warranty...
if you get the big bore kit from the dealer before you take it home it will be covered.....thats what my dealer said.....
so if you take it home and you want a big bore kit....NO warranty.

i think you might want to ask your dealer before doing any work like this... my wearranty is up in FEB 03 so.....i am getting a balls to wall kit
Screw the Stealer i had enough of HD dealers to last a life time...

Hannums in media, Montgomery in valley forge, deans in souderton are all in my area in PA and they all stink... one say's one thing and another i can't keep track of whats right or not...i called up Harley they said No warranty if you do a big bore kit at any time....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big bore kit

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably wait till after warranty is up, before I do anything . J

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wish JimmyK would step in this thread. Here is a link to a thread that talks about warranty. HD is obligated to cover you based on this law. I am stealing that link from JimmyK and his post here

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You don't need to guess regarding the warranty, at least as it most likely will affect you. Ask the dealer? It seems pretty clear from numerous posts that some dealers stand behind a stage 2 (either through the Motor Co or by themselves isn't clear, but probably doesn't matter) and some merely say it voids the warranty. I suspect the way a dealer submits warranty claims has a significant impact on the Motor Co's descision (imho)

Again, it doesn't really matter what anyone here says, thats their experience. Ask YOUR dealer. Check around, see what type of reputation he has, normal stuff.

You have an EFI bike, don't assume that all, or even most, aftermarket shops have the equipment and/or knowledge to fix a problem, should one arise. I use an local shop for certain stuff, but when my cruise control acted up (after they changed handlebars and cables) they were clueless. Very interested in fixing it mind you, just no experience. Dealer fixed it "free" as part of the next service.

I'm not trying to push for using dealers in general, its just that most of them have at least a minimum set of training and equipment. They are more expensive, at least the first time, but...........

good luck, greg

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stage 2 big bore kit EFI

I believe its good bang for the buck. I took advantage of my dealers winter special. Stage II kit with cams parts and labor $1,150. For what you get you can't beat it, plus the will still honor my extended warrranty...

03 FLHTCI
Dave L.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
UltraKC

What SE pistons did you use? Do you know your compression ratio. Have you had it dyno'd - if so what does your TQ curve look like? I'm just curious - In my RKC I'm running 95" KB pistons with mild head work, TW21G cam. But have been wondering if maybe in a Road King with the TW37B with the right compression ratio - just maybe the TQ would be higher from idle to about 3500 than what I'm getting now without pinging.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
brwk said:
HD BB without the cams does not void the warranty.
Very true, regardless of what a dealer says, they have to honor the moco warranty. I just had mine done also and the price was a lot less than the above aftermarket plan. Plus, I still have my warranty in place, not just through my local dealer, but through all over the U.S. that's a good feeling and is a strong plus for the SE upgrade.:D

·
Cruisin' Deuce
693 Posts
I have a '03 Deuce coming soon and I'm wondering should I have the dealer go ahead and do the stageI big bore before I take the bike or wait and do it later? If I do it now, I can cover it with the loan. If I wait until later, I'm afraid I might not have the $$.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think its a great idea, with a good set of pipes you will be much happier with the bike. Look at the d&D fat cat..

·
Cruisin' Deuce
693 Posts
Poseidon said:
I think its a great idea, with a good set of pipes you will be much happier with the bike. Look at the d&D fat cat..
I already have V&H Bigshots ordered. I just don't know. Reading some of the posts in the engine mod area, seems some dealers offer special deals during the winter months for this sort of work. Maybe I'll just run it stock this summer and see if I really need the extra kick. Although, I'm kinda like Tim Allen, MORE POWER, argh, argh.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Yard dog said:
some dealers offer special deals during the winter months for this sort of work.

So, more the reason to lock the price in now. The specials I have seen are a reduction in the hourly service rate. Total "out the door" price should be somewhere in the $1,200 frame and you are right, it will be easier to roll it into the payments.

If you want to keep your warranty, do not change the cams.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ported and polished the stock heads,275cams,true duals with thunderheader mufflers, bored out the 01 injection system, high compression pistons (10.25.1). Dynoed at 98hp and 103tq. For under $3,000 including labor.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
If you read the warranty or have any experience with law in this area, any big bore kit voids the warranty as it is written. I am assuming that the law that Poseidon is referring to is the Moss Act that states that the burden is on the manufacterer (which can include dealer) to prove that any modifications actually caused the problem that the claim is being made for. Typical legal stuff, very hard to decifer -- I tried to enforce the Moss Act against VW of America about 7 years ago. I then receieved a mechanics lein on the vehicle while my engine was completely disassembled on the work bench at the dealership. I had no choice but abondon my legal action and pay ($4500+) to have my car put back together for me.

My local dealer says that they will install the 95" kit and warranty it should anything happen. If you swap the cams with the install -- it is a case-by-case basis.

I have done extensive engine mods in the past and have steered clear of the SE stuff -- way overpriced for what you get. And there is never even any mention of any headwork being done or swapping the iginition...

Another local dealer offers "prepackaged" kits that they stand behind for a year:

http://www.patriothd.com/

A buddy of mine just got their Street Fighter kit and added headwork, Dyna adjustable ignition and a Mikuni HSR42 carb to the kit. It has not been dyno'd yet but they are guessing around 95HP and 100+ LB\FT torque. They call his 02 RK the "Raped Ape" at the shop b\c when he asked the parts manager if he was going to notice a big difference, his response was, "that bike is going to go like a raped ape!"

I would shop around and do your research. Some folks are comfortable going with all HD\SE stuff -- some go in other directions. Each to their own...

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
RagininMD said:
If you read the warranty or have any experience with law in this area, any big bore kit voids the warranty as it is written. :eek:
My local dealer says that they will install the 95" kit and warranty it should anything happen. If you swap the cams with the install -- it is a case-by-case basis.
I called the insurance company and confirmed what the H-D parts book says, if you don't install the cams, the warranty covers it! If you change the cams, it doesn't. Easy enough for me.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts