V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have seen in some threads the mention of a bearing change (or problem) in the 03s. Can someone explain what the changes or falty bearing are. I own an 03 Roadking and I plan on doing an engine build this winter and if their is a bearing I need to know about I know you guys have the knowlegde and experience to point me in the right direction!drunk! THANKS

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Actually you have the better bearings...in 04 they changed from the Timken side bearing you have.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I believe that 02 was the last year for a Timken.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
'02. I have an '03. They went to a roller bearing on the left side instead of a timken bearing. It doesn't take as much stress as a timken and the crank runout is affected for the worse. It costs about $350.00 to have the conversion done. That is of course, AFTER you take the engine apart and split the cases.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
2003 Was the first year for the roller bearing on both sides or the crankshaft. You do NOT have the timken bearing in yours.

The crankshaft end play from 99-2002 was determined or relied upon by the timken bearing in 2003 they switch to a roller bearing on both sides of the crank and now rely upon the compensator nut to keep the crank shaft end play.

If you are doing a Monster build then I would spend the money for a timeken conversion a mild build and torque the compensator nut correctly you will be fine IMO

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
route66paul said:
I believe that 02 was the last year for a Timken.
Yep, you're right...I stand corrected.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Getting back to your original question, yes they did change from the Timken (stronger) bearing in 03...but if you're just doing a mild to moderate build the bearing will be fine. Once you get much above 110hp you would want to do the Timken conversion or if you split the cases for any other reason.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What The Fu(k?????

j79phan said:
Wasn't 03 and 04 the year's they used nylon retainers in the rollers?
:yikes: The more I hear about the 03 bearing the more concerned I get!!! Are these bearings still being used in the newer bikes and whats up with the plastic retainer bearings??? I was planning on a 100hp/100tq build now I'm worried. Anybody have any problems with their 03 builds???:whisper:

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
100/100 should be fine. You could even bump that up. It is the 125/135 builds that would need the change. The plastic chain tensioners are used in all twin cam hd engines. The dyna 06 and all 07 up have a newer hydraulic tensioner system that doesn't use as much force all of the time as a spring tensioner.
Many people want to change this out because of the tensioners possability of grenading. if you check them every 20k, they should be fine on a normal build. When replacing 03 and up with a gear drive cam set, you should go to the better camplate and pump. This raises the cost of this change to about $1350. Many people say it is nessesary, but there are many of us running as much as 100/100 that have chain drive cams.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
j79phan said:
Wasn't 03 and 04 the year's they used nylon retainers in the rollers?
I'm sorry I meant to say nylon retainers on the bearings I'm awhere of the cam tensioners. THANKS

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
I'm at 100/100 and at 10,000 miles on the build, my '03 bearing just came apart. Not upgrading to a Timken is like rolling the dice. On mine - I lost, and scattered broken bearing retainer bits through the engine.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
I'm at 100/100 and at 10,000 miles on the build, my '03 bearing just came apart. Not upgrading to a Timken is like rolling the dice. On mine - I lost, and scattered broken bearing retainer bits through the engine.
Did the rollers have nylon retainers?

I've read, (someone correct me if this info is wrong), that the 03's and 04's used the revision C bearings on both sides of the crank and that these had nylon retainers on the rollers.
Then HD changed to the revision D bearings in 05.

If you look up part # 24604-00 at CHD you will come up with:

24604-00
24604-00A
24604-00B
24604-00C
24604-00D

Parts description will be: BEARING, FLYWHEEL D

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
j79phan said:
Did the rollers have nylon retainers?

I've read, (someone correct me if this info is wrong), that the 03's and 04's used the revision C bearings on both sides of the crank and that these had nylon retainers on the rollers.
Then HD changed to the revision D bearings in 05.

If you look up part # 24604-00 at CHD you will come up with:

24604-00
24604-00A
24604-00B
24604-00C
24604-00D

Parts description will be: BEARING, FLYWHEEL D
I have to admit that I was focused more on the splintered inner wall of the bearing, than I was on the retainer. The crank case is now out having a Timken installed, so I can't look at it at the moment. I thought though, that the retainers looked like metal when I glanced at them, but like I said, I didn't scrutinize. The bearing spacing was still good though. What came apart on mine was the inner wall of the bearing.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GPO03FatBoy said:
I have to admit that I was focused more on the splintered inner wall of the bearing, than I was on the retainer. The crank case is now out having a Timken installed, so I can't look at it at the moment. I thought though, that the retainers looked like metal when I glanced at them, but like I said, I didn't scrutinize. The bearing spacing was still good though. What came apart on mine was the inner wall of the bearing.
I'm ready to ebay everything and by an old evo:xhere: :xhere: :xhere: :xhere: but can you tell me what was into your build? Piston,comp,cams,heads,ect... and if your willing to admit what you were doing to it when it hand grenade?:hmmm: I like to drive my bike like I stole it but I rarely scream it passed 5800RPM.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
hugie03flhr said:
I'm ready to ebay everything and by an old evo:xhere: :xhere: :xhere: :xhere: but can you tell me what was into your build? Piston,comp,cams,heads,ect... and if your willing to admit what you were doing to it when it hand grenade?:hmmm: I like to drive my bike like I stole it but I rarely scream it passed 5800RPM.
Build is in my profile page. Basically, it's a RevPerf 98" build with Andrews 37g cams. Nothing radical. Depending on the day, the dyno, the gear - it was good for about 100/105. I don't ride like I stole it. 80% of my riding is low speed, back and forth to work. I have however taken it to the strip a couple times, and do wind it out through the gears on weekends. It was by no means abused though. Before it was built, I seldom broke 3500 rpm and never shifted hard. The stock bearing might have lasted forever like that, but I bought the bike to ride.

·
This is what I do!
28 Posts
Bearing

You know,I here alot of things about how the roller bearing is not sufficient and people should do the timken conversion but i have already rebuilt atleast 4 evos, not too old 96 or later, that have had crank bearing failure. From my experience i havent seen as many failures on twin cams than evos. This could be due to higher mileage or any other number of things but the fact is that the harley engineers have still seen fit to leave the roller bearings in after 5 model years and still after an engine upgrade in '07. You have to wonder that someone is doing their homework and maybe a few tests to want to stick with the roller bearings?:hmmm:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Well, the roller bearings will work just fine as long as you leave the engine alone. This is what it was designed for. However......... if you feel the need to fix the engine, and make it perform like it's SUPPOSED TO......... then the roller bearing is NOT good enough.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
joshuae said:
You know,I here alot of things about how the roller bearing is not sufficient and people should do the timken conversion but i have already rebuilt atleast 4 evos, not too old 96 or later, that have had crank bearing failure. From my experience i havent seen as many failures on twin cams than evos. This could be due to higher mileage or any other number of things but the fact is that the harley engineers have still seen fit to leave the roller bearings in after 5 model years and still after an engine upgrade in '07. You have to wonder that someone is doing their homework and maybe a few tests to want to stick with the roller bearings?:hmmm:

Personally, I chalk it off to economics. The rollers are cheaper and good for the stock HP ratings. The Timkens are overbuilt for stock purposes, and are lost revenue to the company. Upgrade the motor though, and the Timken becomes a logical choice. No data to support, but I understand the rollers are rated to handle 100 hp. The Timkens on the other hand are supposedly rated to 1100 Hp. Running any part at 100% of its rated capacity for any length of time is gambling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts