V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions. How often should the wheel bearings on my 02 FXDWG be replaced or serviced?

Second and most important question, what type of price do Harley service manuals command?

Thanks/:coffee: Ride Safe

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
Service manual will run you about $50. My manual give no service interval for wheel bearings. I just check them whenever I happen to have the bike on the stand or if I'm getting new tires.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
The sealed wheel bearings present no real maint, other than using a torque wrench to tighten the axle nut, per the specs in the book...

·
Registered
769 Posts
Fourcats said:
The sealed wheel bearings present no real maint, other than using a torque wrench to tighten the axle nut, per the specs in the book...

Not quite exactly true ,,,, they are sealed bearings ,, but they wont last forever. They say they are good for a 100k. Now the question is how many miles are you willing to trust them ,,,and how upset would you be if they gave up the ghost while you were on a trip 1500 miles away from home and landed you in the hotel for a couple days. At some point in time you may wanna spend the money and swap them out when you do a double tire change. rat

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ratt,
That's exactly what I was thinking. Replace them when you do the tire change. I understand that they are a bear to pull however. Might need some special tools or leave it to the stealer to take care of.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I would think around 80,000 to be safe changing them out. that's puts the change 20,000 before they recommend. depending on when your changing tires and your in there already.

good luck and ride safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts