V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a new 2006 Ultra Classic. I stop into a shop to say hi to a friend that I havent seen in 15 years (we just moved back here) and low in behold he has an 02 Ultra sitting there in the exact same color with the same extra whistles and bells that I want on the 06. The bike is cherry, has 9800 miles on it and looks brand new. The previous owner has back surgery and cant ride it anymore(I have talked to him). What I would like to know is what would I be getting by spending $10,000 more on a new Ultra that I wouldnt be getting with this one? Is there anything undesirable about the 02's or that has been improved over the years?

Tia

Russ

·
Registered
95 Posts
use the search mode and you will find the 02 model year as discribed: the best tc model year. i had a 02 rk with zero problems in 4 years though i traded it in for a 06 ultra with no current problems. if you can get the 02 for a good price it may be worth buying.

·
Registered
271 Posts
From what I gather you would gain a very expensive radio and not much else.
I'm sure I must be missing something good.
If the 02 is really in mint shape i'd take it an save the 10k

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
The '06 has a better stereo and a redesigned (but slightly smaller) tourpak. The '06 will also have the easy pull clutch, won't have the passenger grab handles, and the seats may be different (not sure what year HD went to the "comfort stich" seat).

Somewhere in there HD went to a data bus for the electronics, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

You don't want to go any older than '02 because then you get into the Magnetti Marelli fuel injection, starting in '02 they have the Delphi fuel injection, much better.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
You can retro fit that easy pull clutch pretty inexpensively. Big deal would be stereo but don't underestimate the little things on a bike that wear with time not necessarily miles or use. That said if it is low miles top condition and has tons of extras on it and the price is too good to pass on then do it. I would do some negotiating on the price as this seller has but one bike to sell as compared to the dealers that have as many new ones as their allotment allows.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I would think about it. Save some money. I bought my FLHR used, had lots of extras that I love but couldn't afford or be to cheap to buy. If you want a better radio buy one, same with ez clutch.

Not to mention new ones have catalytic converter, yes you can take it off, but I see it become restricive. The line in the sand. Get a big fine for removing from car.

Take look at whats on there for extras, and starting adding that up too.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Road Glider said:
but don't underestimate the little things on a bike that wear with time not necessarily miles or use..
Good point, at 9800 miles probably ready for a tire in the rear, and front may be cracking. Maybe hoses. I have 2001 and knock on wood everything is ok. I have FLHR so no idea abut the electronics, but doesn't seem to-to old to me.

Do belts have any problems from sitting, get stiff?

Check the tires and change the fluids, probably good to go.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
And you'll sidestep all the EPA crappola with the 06 bikes. :cool:

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I rode an 02 Ultra Classic before I moved up to my 04 Screamin Eagle Electra Glide.............very nice bike. I put a lot of miles on it and didn't have any significant problems.

Besides the stereo, the 06 has leg fairing vents also a two year warranty.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
They do make a kit to add vents to lowers. With the money you are saving can buy new ones.

Also with the radio, sure it may be better, but will it be enough to bother you?

You'll be happy with either bike.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
wyodude said:
And you'll sidestep all the EPA crappola with the 06 bikes. :cool:
what price do you put on this??

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
IMHO an 02 is one of the best years as far as the TC engine goes. Still has the good bottom end bearings in it. If I were you I'd buy it if the price is fair enough. You can add a better aftermarket stereo if it bothers you. Hell with the money you are saving you can add what the hell you want and still be money ahead.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
berserker said:
what price do you put on this??

Depends on the level at which on frets.

Given some of the posts on the EPA topic, some are mightly concerned. For these individuals it would make more sense going with the used bike.

On the other side of the coin, we have folks that are so skeptical of the gov's ability to enforce the EPA laws that they've already extensively modified their bikes.

See joediver as an example; 06 FLTRI with a stage V 103" stroker. (I'm not saying joe is skeptical, I'm just using him as an example of someone who has modified their 06).

My personal advice would be go with the 02.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wvwayne said:
I was at the dealer yesterday and they had a new Ultra in black pearl for $20,195 plus tax. How much for the 02?

I can probably get the 02 for 16. Thats about 10 less than the stealers around here are quoting me for an 06 with the extra stuff I want on it. These guys down here wont budge on MSRP, freight or prep. A two tone blue is over $22 with TT&L before I get the extras. He has already upgraded the stereo and put the vented lowers on it. The tires are new and have less than 1000 miles on them. Everything else looks pretty good. I thought the cat muffs werent coming out on all bikes until 07. I need to check on this one.
What is the deal with the bottom end bearings? I havent rode a Harley since the Shovelhead. Totally missed the Evo motor and now I'm trying to learn about the Twin Cam.

Thanks again for all the responses

Russ

·
Registered
304 Posts
Skyguy,

Might be worth a trip up to Dallas if you decide on the 06'. Dealer in Carrolton sells for MSRP. At least give em a call.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've been reading through the posts. I loved my 2002 Ultra, not a single problem. I just got my 06, some subtle diffs, but not 10K worth. 16K sounds like a very reasonable price. Ck out similar bikes on www.cycletrader.com you'll see. Good luck

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Wider rear tire. '04 and up touring models use a 143mm rear tire and narrower belt. You can still put a Metzeler 140 on an '02 without any modifications.

And yes, all '06 H-D have cats in the mufflers. Look at the H-D optional mufflers in the parts catalog and they are different for '06.

Personally, I'd go for the '02 if you like the color. Sounds like a great deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts