V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellas, I recently had to take my 02 Road king to the shop. The problem i had is it stopped charging the battery so i upgraded the charging system to the Cycle Electric 80 Series 50 Amp Three Phase Kit. I also changed the front motor mount and all fluids. By the way the bike is carbureted I took the bike for about a 30 mile ride and it ran fine but then i went on the freeway and the bike suddenly shuts down, like if it was out of gas. I had over a quarter of a tank. I pull over and it starts back up. I go less then a mile more and it shuts off again like its out of gas i continue to crank the motor and it cranks fine. I go about a foot and it cuts off so i let it sit a while thinkin the circuit breaker is hot i let it cool down a little while. it ran for a little while and then cut out again.. no light comes on (engine) or anything. power is where its supposed to be the starter isnt draging but there seems like there is either no spark or no fuel.. i checked the battery connectons and i thought i found the problem when i fond out the rectifier or regulator was loose and wobbling so i tightened it up and was bringing it home because i left it at my parents house which is like 3 miles away at the most and it cut off 3 times.. what can it be.. Thanks in advance... Im tryin to get ready for Laughlin but dont want to be stuck on the side of the road...

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
It does sound like a battery connection issue.

Double check the connection from the battery to ground at the frame end especially.

rkc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound like a battery connection issue.

Double check the connection from the battery to ground at the frame end especially.

rkc
thanks bro.. will do rite after work.. Where is the fuel filter? It seems like no spark or fuel. the dash doesnt turn off or anything it just seems like its not getting fuel..

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Sorry, I re-read your post and it is probably not the ground wire or your motor wouldn't turn over.

Could be a few things.

Bad contact in ignition switch, try switching it on and off a few times when the problem is happening.

Could also be something like the crank sensor.

rkc

·
Banned
5,840 Posts
I once had a problem with the motor cutting out like that. It turned out to be 3 bad pin connectors on the motor harness where it plugs into the main harness under the seat.
Replaced all of the pin connectors and used some dialectric grease when plugging it back together. :)

:coffee:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I re-read your post and it is probably not the ground wire or your motor wouldn't turn over.

Could be a few things.

Bad contact in ignition switch, try switching it on and off a few times when the problem is happening.

Could also be something like the crank sensor.

rkc
should their be a code that gets thrown out for that? and how do i check the codes? thank guys

·
Registered
16 Posts
should i change the circuit breaker to a 50 amp since i changed the charging system?
Doing the 50 amp could melt down your wiring if there is a short. I ran into the same problem with my 02 RK (I still own) and it turned out I was overloading the circuit breaker. I switched most of my lighting to LED (less draw) and it fixed it in most cases. If I run my high intensity spot lamps and if its really hot out, the stupid thing will still die. 12volts to 2 -55w spots = 8amps. I know its not a cheap date to change out your bulbs, but it helped me. I started with all the rear taillight and running first. You figure you have about 1/2 to 1 amp per bulb depending on the wattage.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Quarter tank of gas?? Maybe bad fuel line inside tank. Pin holes in line. Fill tank up and try running it and see if it cuts out. If not then I bet when you get the tank back down to where it is now it will cut out again. Bad fuel line inside tank. Just a thought.

·
Registered
111 Posts
think i remember a recall for faulty circuit breaker from that era. do your lights all go off, indicating a power failure, when this happens?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
since it is still cranking when it dies then I doubt it is the breaker, it could be many sensors , you can pull the codes by jumping 2 wires in the diag . plug , it should be posted on here somewhere I have seen it , try a search in the electrical forum .It may also be the Bank angle switch , not sure that will throw a code , if you turn the main switch off then back on and it starts that would be my guess , it will still crank if it is bad but no spark until you cycle the ignition off then on .

LoneEagle

·
Registered
199 Posts
There was a circuit breaker recall on the 02. I had it preformed on my Ultra. This may sound silly, but how old is your battery? My 02 Ultra did the same thing your Road King is doing. I would start it and it would run a few feet and stop. Sit a minute and it would start back up. Then I would take off and go a little bit more and it would cut off again. It ended up being a bad battery. I know that sounds crazy, but I would get the battery tested. It worked for me, but I realize your problem may be more involved than mine.

Deac

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips guys it was the crank sensor.. good thing I know the guy at the shop and he only charged me 2 hours of work...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts