V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a problem with a plugged fuel line or fuel filter from coating from inside of gas tank peeling. dealer says it is not covered under warranty(peeling that is). wrench said something about 2002's having bad fuel lines. went in for a switch and a 15,000 mile check-up ,and I get all of this crap. 5 to 7 days wait for new ignition switch and now the fuel filter and lines are plugged up from inside tank coating from factory. anyone else have gas tank problems like this. bike was running great till switch went bad. dealer wrench said he didn't know how bike was running with such a clogged line. any advice or help. THANKS ,PaUltraBob

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
LazerRed said:
yes one of my friends has a 02 03 fat boy same problem moco covered the tank he had to cover labor
When did he have it fixed? When I pulled the gas filter last month in my 03, I found the liner coming out in sheets. Has to have been that way for quite a while but it's not something you would notice unless a piece happens to coat the prefilter or you open the tank. Trying to figure out what to do with mine now...

·
Banned
78 Posts
The problem lies within the prep work of the tank at the factory. When they prepare the tank for painting they sand blast the metal to remove minute amounts of rust and to clean the surface for paining. What happens is some of the blasting agent gets inside the tank. If you get a new tank there are instructions that tell you to wash out the inside of the tank (using soapy water). Anyway, the factory doesn't wash out the tanks. If your service manager says they do, he has never been to a factory and is just bluffing or he is lying to you. By the way people don't paint the inside of their fuel tanks, but I hear if you do paint it using DuPont red 592 you will get more horsepower.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
inside tank peeling

after the dealer made a few calls to the factory they said they would take care of it. the problem with that is they had to send it out to someone else to do the work. one guy to wash out the inside another to spray the inside. it has two weeks,but the weather has gotten cold so I don't mind the wait. plus they are picking up the tab. thanks ,PaUltraBob

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
PaUltraBob said:
after the dealer made a few calls to the factory they said they would take care of it. the problem with that is they had to send it out to someone else to do the work. one guy to wash out the inside another to spray the inside. it has two weeks,but the weather has gotten cold so I don't mind the wait. plus they are picking up the tab. thanks ,PaUltraBob

What dealer are you using? and do you know who they talked with? I'm trying to get my dealer to take care of mine, but the easier I can make it for them, the quicker they may fix it. My tank is off and bike is down for other work, so time is fortunately not an issue...

Thanks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That's good that they're fixing it, but I wonder if it is due to some sort of gas additive that is way too harsh? Either that, or the same brand of gas time after time that has a similar harsh additive?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he had the tank sent out last week (11-14-07) . the only gas he uses is amoco/BP gas. while bike was down had fuel filter changed (15,000) miles. dealer had to order it ,not in stock. the name of the dealer is CERINI'S H-D at Belle Vernon Pa. hope this helps and answers any questions. thanks, PaUltraBob

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Misterb said:
That's good that they're fixing it, but I wonder if it is due to some sort of gas additive that is way too harsh? Either that, or the same brand of gas time after time that has a similar harsh additive?
and in my case, I'm pretty religious about Sunoco and BP premium...

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Last year I had to replace the tank on my '02 standard. I found one in my color at a dealer in PA. When it arrivced, it looked like it had sheets of gray celophane in the tank. The liner had almost completely released from the sides of the tank. The dealer was great about letting me return it, but your story makes me think there may have been a problem sometime in '02 with the paint shop.

·
Banned
78 Posts
I am curious about these liners. I can't see one in any of my bikes, I just see steal and when I scratch the sides, the steal just scars. How do they seal the holes in the liners where they cut for the inlet, gauge, EECS, and outlet. Do you guys run pressurized fuel systems and at what PSI. A guy told me that he pressurizes his gas tank to 1,000 psi and gets over 60 horsepower. Why are the tanks lined? Are the welding jobs poor?

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Spoker said:
A guy told me that he pressurizes his gas tank to 1,000 psi and gets over 60 horsepower. Why are the tanks lined? Are the welding jobs poor?

I wouldnt stand around that tank when its pressurized:rolleyes:

They line the tanks to prevent rust

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you Guys think we can say the problems are with the 02, 03 tanks only, for now? I have an 01, 15001 miles nothing wrong yet. I'm looking for a Tin set for a cutom paint job and I don't want any liner problems in tank when I find it. Ebay has many sets right now..

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you Guys think we can say the problems are with the 02, 03 tanks only, for now? I have an 01, 15800 miles nothing wrong yet. I'm looking for a Tin set for a cutom paint job and I don't want any liner problems in tank when I find it. Ebay has many sets right now..

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Wild-deuce said:
Do you Guys think we can say the problems are with the 02, 03 tanks only, for now? I have an 01, 15800 miles nothing wrong yet. I'm looking for a Tin set for a cutom paint job and I don't want any liner problems in tank when I find it. Ebay has many sets right now..
02 and early 03 seem to be the worst for the problem. During 03 HD supposedly changed the metal that they make the non-touring tanks from, and stopped lining the non-touring tanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2001 Road King with a Harley radical paint scheme and my tanks lining is flaking off also. I would like to replace the tank but the paint job is outrageous$$$$$.

My RK was starting rough and did not want to idle. The plugs were fowling do to 90psi on the fuel line. This is how (after 11 hours) the Harley tech found the flakey lining plugging the return fuel line. (Not fun) The dealer was great and was reasonable on the labor cost.

I hope this saves someone else some HD BUCKS$$$$$$

Cheers:
Kinger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts