V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro has a 2001 roadking and I have a 2002 on his there is 2 valves for the air shocks front and back on mine there is only 1 valve . Is there a reason they got rid of this or does the one valve control both the front and back now ? Just was wondering why this change ? Thanks for the help:)

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
2002 droped the air adjustable in the front shock. They changed to what they call a cartridge type fork (has something to do with controling the fork oil movment through a series of valves or washers in the fork.) Only one fork has the cartridge...the other is without. H-D thinks it's a better system because too many people ruptured the air bladder of the old type by putting too much air in them.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The fork oil needs to be replaced from time to time...recomended at 20k miles, I think. On the pre 02's, like your brothers, it could be sucked in from the drain hole with a vacuum pump at the air valve. On the 02 and later models, there is no top hole which makes changing the oil more complicated. A dealer will stick you for 4hrs labor to change the oil in the new ones. The shop manual says they got to remove the forks from the bike. Ain't that progress.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If I remember correctly, only the fairing equipped bikes, Electra Glide and Road Glide, got the suspension with the cartridge in the left fork. Road Kings did not although the air was removed.

·
FLHTCUSE
526 Posts
Seems that Honda has taken lesson's from HD in more ways than one My 02 Gl1800 Forks does not have a Drain plug-Manual sya you have to Remove the forks to change the oil. They want to make sure they Screw everyone :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts