V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help here. Bike is an '02 Road King with injection, equipped with factory security system. I've owned this bike since '02 but have never used the alarm system becuase I've never been able to get along very well with the key fob. Along the way I programmed a personal code so I could deactivate the alarm if it was inadvertently activated. Now, as a result of carrying spare key for something else that happened to be on a key ring with the key fob for my bike, the alarm has been inadvertently activated and WILL NOT deactivate. The bike doesn't seem to recognize the key fob and refuses to enter "manual mode" so it can be deactivated via turn signal switches.

What I've done so far:
  1. tested the key fob's battery: 3V battery, has 3.09V
  2. Attempted to deactivate alarm repeatedly with fob
  3. Attempted to synch the key according to owner's manual instructions (hold the button for 10 or 15 seconds until the lamps flash). This was unsuccessful.
  4. Attempt to get the bike into manual mode: Run/Stop switch in "Stop" position, turn ignition switch to ACC position, press and hold both signal buttons until the indicator light flashes quickly. REsult: nothing whatsoever. When I turn the ign sw to ACC the indicator light stops flashing, the odometer lights up and displays the mileage, and there is no response AT ALL to the signal switches being held simultaneously.

I've tried all of the above several times and just can't get anything to happen. I'm getting pretty close to burning the F-ing thing to the ground! Worst part is, at one point I think the key fob DID dosarm the bike, but wasn't sure, and pressed the button again, rearming it. Now, nothing.

So, I was thinking the ob was faulty, but since the bike won't enter manual mode, I'm wondering if the TSSM is faulty. Anyone have a clue? If I need to replace the TSSM, is it possible to do this while the alarm is armed? Seems like that would be a no-no. Supposing I do need to replace the TSSM, can I replace it with a "TSM" instead and delete the blasted, good-for-nothing security system? Or is this a programming option in the TSSM, accessed by the diagnostic computer in some sort of version coding? I used to be a Benz tech, and in some cases, one module fit all and had to be programmed in the shop according to vehicle equipment. I'm not really all that interested in locating a damned trailer and hauling this thing to a dealer, none of which are close (at least none of the ones with a decent reputation; the only remaining close by dealer has a spotty service reputation at best).

Any HD techs out there have any ingenious input here? Or am I SOL, and need to trailer this thing to a dealer?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, problem solved. Even though the battery tested good, I decided to swap key batteries with the car key remote. The car remote works with the bike key fob battery in it, which made me think that wasn't the issue, but for the hell of it I decided to try the bike key fob with the car key battery in it. That did the trick, the bke disarmed. So I feel a bit like a dumbass, but there you have it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts