V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '01 FLHTCUI with the 95" kit with cams. Recently I've started hearing what I thought was a loose something or other - as in shifter linkage, loose nut, etc. The rattle noise seems to come from the engine area - and I can't find a loose fastener anywhere. It's not the normal TC sewing machine sound, it's something more than that. Anyone experienced this before I take it to a wrench ? It's most noticeable at idle, don't hear it with RPM's - not sure if that's because it isn't there with RPM's or if I just can't hear it because of exhaust, etc. Engine has 23K on it - I don't baby it, but it has never been abused. Thanks

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips - heat shields was the first thing I went over, had that brief sense of relief as one was loose, but it wasn't the noise. The nut in the primary is a good idea - I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rattle

As dumb as this may sound, my Road King has done the same thing on occasion. Usually the rubber gromet on the kick stand is out of place and the jiffy stand rattles against the frame.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Speakin of rattling jiffy stand on the frame...I installed new HD Chrome fwd controls on my s-tail, and the pivot end of the stand seems alot sloppier than it was with the black OEM mount. Am I missing something? I also installed a new spring which I thought would tighten it up, no good. Thoughts on tightening it back up?
Thanks,
DLR

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Regarding the jiffy stand rattling against the frame..the 2001 Ultra in question has the rubber stop mounted on the jiffy stand itself not the frame like older models.
So that should not be causing any rattles on the bike in question.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it's not the jiffy stand, rattles when on the stand standing beside it. It's not an overpowering sound, but it's there. Comparable to a light lifter tick in a small block Chevy or a loose something on the outside, but I can't track it down. If it was in the engine, what would it be ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
at idle could be cam chain how is the oil pressure?

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oil pressure is fine, hasn't changed. A couple guys have told me that it's simply the oil I used - I put in Valvoline 20/50 synthetic automotive oil - not oil specifically made for v-twins. I'm not buyin it, but I'm changing the oil tomorrow to HD synthetic just for giggles. Ever heard of that ?

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
There has been a discussion on noise and oil type. Consensus was that certain oils have better noise damping capabilities than others. A logical explanation was not given, more a collection of experiences with different oils.

Did you analyze the noise with a stethoscope?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wrist Pin Bushing Possibility

Don't want to jump to any conclusions here, but let me just relay this. My good friend who I ride with has a 2000 RKC, he is a pretty good wrench himself and he absolutely babys his bike. Oil, Tranny, and Primary fluid every 3000. I even give him crap cause tranny and primary don't need change so often but he insists. Anyway last summer he started getting what he described as a "rattle" comming from the engine area. We went crazy tring to find a loose fastener or something. He even changed one of his lifters as he was "convinced" it must be that. well nothing helped and the rattle got a little louder each time he used the bike. He finally gave in and when Dec came he put it in my garage and started tearing into it. We thought we would find something loose in the valve train. Turned out his rear cyl wrist pin BUSHING was eaten away till there was only 50% left. Most likely caused by pinging! Which he said his bike did a lot. Only mods he ever did was slip-ons. No re-flash, so it was probably way-lean. Now the engine is out and and total rebuild is happening. Bummer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts