V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse my noobiness! :)
I'm new here and look forward to all the information and input.
I've been bikeless for over 5 years, and always rode sport bikes, culminating in my last 2 Ducatis, but now it's time to grow up to a cruiser. I was close to getting either a Road King or a Springer Heritage when I ran across a 2001 Indian Spirit with less than 100 miles. I really like the bike, but know little about Indian, and less about this model.
I'll probably only ride locally, with a few day trips and very rare weekend jaunts. My girlfriend (5'4" 112lb) will be on the back at least 50% of my ride time. What do you guys think of this bike?
Any input would be welcome and appreciated!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
The Indian is an S&S motor, not a Harley V-twin, although, some parts are interchangable. A friend has one and loves it. It's a matter of taste I guess...

You may find that parts are hard to come by with Indian's shakey history.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, Dave

Thanks for your input, Dave. I've heard good things about the S&S engines, and I know parts may be tough for this bike. I just think it's really cool.
My main concern is the overall reliability and build quality. Does Indian have a bad reputation, or this model in particular?

·
Premium Member
614 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
01 spirit

Levelmanroger

You need to go to: www.indiancommunity.com as this is THE website for everything Indian. Plus we are having our world meet in Branson, MO, May 10-17th.

The new factory is in Kings Mountain, NC, and they will be at the ralley. However, they have very little support or cross ref. parts for the Gilroy made bikes. The new Indians are, after all, for the "Premium Rider" as they like to say, thus the $32,000 starting price.

Basically, the 01 Scout was just a clone bike with an S&S engine and some semi proprietory sheet metal, everything else was sourced from other vendors.

Don't worry about parts, HD and S&S parts cross reference the engine. The tranny is someones after market. These bikes are very easy to get parts for as well as maintain. If you get a steal of a price on it, buy it.

2 bb
2003 Terminator Chief #46 of 50

·
old biker beatch
77 Posts
Although there have been issues with the Gilroy-era (1999 - 2003) Indians, I still love them, personally. Many folks have noted that there ARE issues with them but, hey, I had my '89 Sportster and my '83 Sportster in the shop once a month, last season. I guess ANY used bike, regardless of who makes it, will wind up in the shop, sooner or later. It's a crap shoot: do the routine and preventative maintenance and then, hope for the best. As for me, I'm waiting for the rest of the payment on my '89 Sportster and will buy either an Indian Spirit or a Fat Boy this year. GOOD LUCK and SAFE RIDING!

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
I had a 2001 Indian Scout.. I tricked it out to the point it was hard to tell it was an Indian to start with... It was a beautiful ride and a total blast to ride. None of my buddies with 95" Harley softails could keep up with me and my bike looked totally unique.

Only two problems with the bike... Couldn't ride her for more than two hours without wanting a break and there was considerable vibration in the bars, so much so that I kept losing mirrors.. I really HATED the vibration. A friend of mine really wanted to by her off of me and I started going for longer and longer rides so I took the money and bought my street glide.

If you don't mind vibration in the bars and don't go for long rides, go for it, they are good bikes... If it were me today, I'd be looking at used Harley Softail Deuces, you can pick 'em up for cheep and there is a ton of cool stuff you can do to them, not to mention WAY less vibration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the gilroy indians had a few issues, but they are good bikes .parts are not that hard to find if you know where to look. if anyone tells you that harley or honda ,or any other bike out there does'nt have problems ,then thier yanking your chain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rocket 88

Hi from UK. I have recently bought an 'Indian' Rocket 88 (1999, 27,000 miles). Many parts (calipers, dash etc.) have 'CMC' engraved, but the original title (first registered in Utah) says 'Indian'.
Anyway, so far I have only put about 100 miles on the bike but my first impressions are that the bike is great to ride with a strong engine. True, there is a lot of vibration through the bars, but I don't ride more than an hour in one go. The bike looks well made and the paint finish is very high quality.
Like others have said, if you do the routine maintenance, the bike you are considering should be just as reliable as a Harley of a similar age.
If it is a good deal, then go for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Levelmanroger

You need to go to: www.indiancommunity.com as this is THE website for everything Indian. Plus we are having our world meet in Branson, MO, May 10-17th.

The new factory is in Kings Mountain, NC, and they will be at the ralley. However, they have very little support or cross ref. parts for the Gilroy made bikes. The new Indians are, after all, for the "Premium Rider" as they like to say, thus the $32,000 starting price.

Basically, the 01 Scout was just a clone bike with an S&S engine and some semi proprietory sheet metal, everything else was sourced from other vendors.

Don't worry about parts, HD and S&S parts cross reference the engine. The tranny is someones after market. These bikes are very easy to get parts for as well as maintain. If you get a steal of a price on it, buy it.

2 bb
2003 Terminator Chief #46 of 50
http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/splash.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts