V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I won't be too big of a smart ass for telling you: check the owner's manual. It's all detailed there.

That unasked for comment being made, let me say this: everyone agrees that the first service is very important. Don't miss it. Whether you do it yourself or have a dealer do it.

(wine revisions necessary, oops.)

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Oil change (looking for burned oil, metal etc..), tighten belt, check torque of some nuts and bolts. I actually had a leak in a gasket that I wasn't aware of, and they took care of it, n.c. A smart dealer will do a good job, because a seriously overlooked problem could cost them a motor, and could cost you your life. ('course you OL is gonna love the check)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'm kinda excited about getting my mufflers v-moded.
So as soon as I can get that done , The service, I'll be ready to ship those puppies off to chopper steve

·
Registered
265 Posts
They should check the valve clearances! The Break-In tune up is the most important IMHO. Everbody gets to know each other and clearances can tighten up, things can loosen. After that tune-up its pretty routine!
Best: Steve

·
Registered
249 Posts
Instead of doing the v-mod thing on your stock mufflers why don't you get a set of screamin' eagles and do those. That's what I did and I think it worked out much better. The sound is better, there's more HP and you get the screamin' eagles script on the mufflers. You were going to buy a set of SEs anyway, weren't you?

Bermuda

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no I wasn't gonna purchase the SE muffs, Cash is a little tight, But may have a line on a used set.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check out ebay. SEs come up every now and then. Also check with Chopper Steve. He may have something or know where to look. He very helpful.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
russbo,
V-Mod those stock pipes, I had mine done about a month ago, and think the sound is great. Much better than the stock pipes, I also have installed the SE filter and am getting ready to install PCMIIIr. It is just a bit cold here to doing any testing right now. Steve is also a wealth of info and definately the go to guy for us V-Rodders. Good luck and ride safe
Kevin

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kevin, does your bike run good or okay w/o the pcr3? I am also planning to install that but may have to wait untill business picks up!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
found aset of se's for 250 used sratch on bottom one. How dramatic is the sound diff. from stock thats v-moded(both v-moded that is ) And imagine that the pcr3 would be a must at that point!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
russbo, don't know how it is going to run it is not on yet. In the single digits temp wise here so havn't bothered working on it to much lately. I just breifly started it to here the pipes. I also installed the iat reloction kit. I think it will run great when all said and done, from all the info I have gotten from this forum.
Kevin
ps hope business picks up for ya.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea, the first service should be done. The thing to be careful on the valves though is they get tighter as the valves wear. What happens is the valves will sit deeper in the valve seats and take up the required clearances and might eventually hang a valve open..

Sunshine

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think the first valve adjustment is at 10,000 not 1,000 . The 1,000 mile service is an oil change and a check sheet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well the serv. is done now to takle the muffs! got a bonus expected a 300. bill on the service and only cost 271. yea ha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts