» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums
New User? Register Forgot Password

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums (https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension (https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/)
-   -   Pulling the trigger on Progressive Monotubes (https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/540634-pulling-trigger-progressive-monotubes.html)

wpc3 01-20-2019 10:24 AM

Pulling the trigger on Progressive Monotubes

Got the front end down to adjust steering neck bearings and replace broken fairing strut brackets with the USA made heavy duty ones. Decided to spend a few bucks and upgrade the front suspension. Did ÷hlins on the rear in 2018. Should be an improvement. Now that riding season has slowed down I’m pulling a big service. Get her ready for our road trip this year!

Malx 01-20-2019 01:07 PM

Put some Ohlins on my SG this spring. I'd be interested in hearing how the front suspension works out for you..

wpc3 01-21-2019 12:59 PM

I’m hoping for big gains. The neck bearings are very loose. I’ll get those corrected and the progressives in and update.

flh120 01-22-2019 12:52 PM

I installed a set of the Monotubes about 3 years ago. I've been happy with them. I can't say they were a big improvement over the progressive springs I had before but, no more leaky fork seals. You only add a couple of ounces of oil which is just a splash lube. I've heard some complain that they were too stiff but I haven't noticed it. I'm 66 and ride mostly back roads so if they were overly stiff I think I'd have noticed. I have noticed that my front tires wear more evenly than before. Not sure why. The old springs might have been the issue. In any case no more uneven wear.

captainhook455 01-22-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malx (Post 5870076)
Put some Ohlins on my SG this spring. I'd be interested in hearing how the front suspension works out for you..

How much did that run you?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Malx 01-22-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainhook455 (Post 5870532)
How much did that run you?

If I remember correctly about $550.00

captainhook455 01-22-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malx (Post 5870546)
If I remember correctly about $550.00

Thank you kind sir.

wpc3 01-22-2019 09:03 PM

I figured I have it torn down for adjustment of neck bearings and replacement of broken fairing struts that I should install the progressive mono tube kit. My luck the seals would of puked after I put it all back together if I didn’t. Plus I wanted a better match to ÷hlins in the rear. I’m 66. All backroads. Which have not always been the best choice. Especially in California!

Malx 01-23-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpc3 (Post 5870558)
I figured I have it torn down for adjustment of neck bearings and replacement of broken fairing struts that I should install the progressive mono tube kit. My luck the seals would of puked after I put it all back together if I didnít. Plus I wanted a better match to ÷hlins in the rear. Iím 66. All backroads. Which have not always been the best choice. Especially in California!

You think you have some bad back roads.. Come to Maine!

captainhook455 01-23-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malx (Post 5870608)
You think you have some bad back roads.. Come to Maine!

You have brought back some fond memories of one lane paved roads (bumpy) up and down little ridges that I couldn't see over the other side.

roadking321 01-25-2019 01:39 AM

MALX, I haven't ridden much of Maine but I know the year we went to Laconia, NH we rode most of the state except the southern portion, I thought the majority of roads sucked! Instead of the road cracks running across the road they all ran down the road - especially around Laconia. Thankfully we stayed in Woodstock, NH.

I installed monotubes in both my Road Kings & love the difference - handling/cornering & not bottoming out so easily when hitting bad bump unexpectedly. I highly recommend spending the $$ - both sets I installed are the lowered versions. I think I got 'em from Amazon just under $400.

Malx 01-25-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking321 (Post 5870956)
MALX, I haven't ridden much of Maine but I know the year we went to Laconia, NH we rode most of the state except the southern portion, I thought the majority of roads sucked! Instead of the road cracks running across the road they all ran down the road - especially around Laconia. Thankfully we stayed in Woodstock, NH.

I installed monotubes in both my Road Kings & love the difference - handling/cornering & not bottoming out so easily when hitting bad bump unexpectedly. I highly recommend spending the $$ - both sets I installed are the lowered versions. I think I got 'em from Amazon just under $400.

The last year or two the DOT has been re-paving quite a few roads around the state. They still have a long way to go. Surprisingly we don't have the amount of traffic since the population isn't that large. It's the weather that takes the toll.. It's always a surprise after the thaw.. Hence upgraded suspension definitely makes a difference..

captainhook455 01-25-2019 08:28 AM

A frost heave man that is fun.

wpc3 01-29-2019 04:58 PM

Don’t remind me! I’m a cheap ol bastich. It doesn’t seem so bad a bit at a time. Yeah almost 4 bills for fronts and almost 600 for back. Stuff adds up! My glide rode like crap with oe rears. When I canned them the ÷hlins made the front feel like garbage.

Malx 03-27-2019 05:42 AM

So now I'm between two minds. Progressive FST @500.00 vrs the Legend Axeo. @ 750.00 then the Ohlins FKC 102 which cost even more. Anyone care to comment besides the price difference.. Will there be a notable difference other than a lighter wallet...