» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums
New User? Register Forgot Password

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums

V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums (https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes and Suspension (https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/)
-   -   Fatboy rear suspension too low (https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/218463-fatboy-rear-suspension-too-low.html)

Fatboyrob 12-31-2012 02:44 AM

Fatboy rear suspension too low

2009 Fatboy rear suspension too low, I ring two up all the time and constantly scapping Vance & hines pipes & side stand
i would like to be able to lift the rea rsuspension without having to put air suspension kit in

sire86 12-31-2012 04:43 AM

I think the shocks can be adjusted I some times ride with my wife and all her junk err...belongings and don't have that problem I'm sure some one on this forum has a lot mor knowledge/ advise for you

Mohead1 12-31-2012 05:31 AM

Adjust shocks will raise it some, but the adjustment is more for rebound/ride feel kinda thing. If you adjust them all the way up, it will ride like a rock.....but probably handle the load better

reg26 01-01-2013 07:11 AM

Adjust them in increments. Will make a big difference. They are good shocks

Unca Mike 01-01-2013 12:35 PM

Hey FBRob

Those V&H pipes...are they slip ons using the FB headers? Is it the mufflers or headers that are dragging?

I always wondered why all the Softail bikes had those up stepped headers. It seemed like a good idea to get mufflers up so they wouldn't drag. I think they look cool too. Best of both worlds to me. At one time I was scheming on getting a nice set of ST take offs and fabricating new mounts to use them on my FXR4. The V&H HotShot (2into2 slash cut megaphones) pipes on my bike drag way too easily for my taste. However I decided to just make new mounting brackets to get the lower muffler up and in a bit. These days I'm thinking the step up on the ST pipes was designed that way to mainly keep the muffs from dragging since ST bikes are so low to begin with. If your pipes don't have that step up at the header you might have a hard time getting things to clear. You're right in wanting to get more height. I would look to larger diameter tires to help along with any rear suspension mods you come up with.

As far as the Jiffy stand dragging goes, well, to me it's just a poor design by Harley. Mine drags too if I lean it over far enough although, of all the things that can drag, the jiffy stand is the last to drag.

Harleys.....! Owning one is often what it would be like to be married to Lindsay Lohan. Looks good and fun at times but can have a heavy maintenance price to pay.

Good Luck

Fatboyrob 01-02-2013 01:55 PM

the v&h don't really have mufflers , its the end tail that swopes down that scrap. i have nealy grinded the tip away all together.i have been told that fitting a lowing kit to shocks may also allow the bike to be lifted as well but have not seen any one that has done this. I have adjust damping on shocks to hard as possible but its like a brick to ride & gained very little in ride height

Fatboytony 04-23-2019 10:22 PM

Exhaust Change

I'm about to order a set of freedom performance true duals for my 08 fat boy in replacement of the Vance & Hines long shots. Anybody have or heard of any issues with these pipes?