What's up with Harleys? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > The VTF Classics
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

mainerider wants to know Dino or Syn?
What's up with Harleys?

A serious question I'll probably get flamed for, but here goes.

I've been riding for about 20 years, and don't really get the devotion harley riders have to the brand.

They are nice looking machines. i've ridden a couple and they were fun to ride, but in general, they are really expensive, not especially reliable, and don't perform as well as other bikes.

Also- Is there some kind of rule about not waving? I know it's silly, but a lot of riders still wave, or at least acknowlege each other. While some folks seem pretty friendly, if I am ignored by another rider, chances are pretty good that the guy is on a Harley.

Mainerider
mainerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
FOG

trooper113 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ain't no thang....I wave at everybody. Sport bikes ignore me regularly. It's okay.

Re: Harleys....hard to explain....I just like 'em, but there are many other fine bikes. Harley's seem to have character and a rider might or might not care about that. That's probably why there are any number of brands and models. I, personally, wouldn't (perhaps physically couldn't) ride a sport bike. Just me.

T113
trooper113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

stev1955 wants to know Dino or Syn?
There's good and bad in any group. I wave to all like trooper.
https://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/s...=1&ppuser=1428

"Hooters, hooters, yum yum yum. Hooters, hooters, on a girl that's dumb." Al Bundy
stev1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2005, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Highly Seasoned Rider!

newultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerider

I've been riding for about 20 years, and don't really get the devotion harley riders have to the brand.

They are nice looking machines. i've ridden a couple and they were fun to ride, but in general, they are really expensive, not especially reliable, and don't perform as well as other bikes.

Also- Is there some kind of rule about not waving? I know it's silly, but a lot of riders still wave, or at least acknowlege each other. While some folks seem pretty friendly, if I am ignored by another rider, chances are pretty good that the guy is on a Harley.

Mainerider

As to why do I like 'em? That's easy. They're the easiest bike there is to work on and service yourself. They run nicely if you don't screw with them too much and parts are all over the place privately, on eBay and in the aftermarket.

The lack of reliability exists mainly on the internet. So, also does the feeling that they don't run too well. I really don't know where you got that information. Don't believe everything you read. I've got two Harleys and they both run great. One of them is 24 years old, has 100K miles and still runs great. The other one is still pretty new but it's a runner, too.

Your take that Harley riders don't wave at you is a bit general. They wave at me and I wave at them and the Metric riders. Been doing it longer than I can remember. It's fun.

Guess you're probably suffering from not having done it long enough. 20 years makes you a short-timer around these parts.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.....
newultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jonas wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Mainerider
I can give you my view. I have had Harleys on and off since 1985. I had a few dirt bikes in the mix too. KX400, IT465, DR650, much fun on all of them. I could walk into the suzuki dealer to get parts for my dirt bike. The brand new road bikes do nothing for me, zero intrest. I can't really explain it. I guess it is all in what you like. Maybe because so many are made to lool like a harley, I have no intrest in sport bikes. I do like the Honda Valkrie, it has it's own look.

Somebody waves at me, I wave. I have nothing against any other make of Bike or rider. We are all living on the edge when we leave our driveway.

Harley has came a long way as far as reliability. But I would have one even if it had issues. I have logged a few pushing miles in the past.

Expensive, I bought a 1983FLHS in 1985 for 5000.00. If I had it now I could get my money back plus make a little profit. If you had a 1983 Honda 750 rigth now that you bought in 1985 probally not worth much. My point is up until recently HD have great resale. That might be changing.

Maybe your a little paraniod about the waving thing. I was thinking the same thing about BMW riders.

Sherlyn Popelka, DUI, Aggravated Assault, Fugitive
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Soar like an Eagle

Road Glider wants to know Dino or Syn?
On the wave thing, I wave to most anything with 2 wheels. The guys I ride with seem to do the same.

On Harleys. I don't agree with your statements about reliability problems. That might have been accurate in years past but the twin cam era bikes are very reliable.

On the cost thing, yes they are expensive in comparison to other choices out there. I just don't get excited about the other choices. I do get excited about HD bikes. To me HD has a soul and feel about it that the other bikes don't. Not that the other bikes are not good, it is just that I find the HD bikes more appealing. Planning for your financial future is important but last time I checked we only live once and for me I am going to buy what I want and enjoy it even if it is more expensive than the other choices out there.

May you have a day with the wind in your face and the rest of the world be at your back.
Road Glider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
In the wind and Loving it

MrBill wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Mainerider
If you have to ask, You wouldn't understand. Some peole like Fords some like BMW's. Some wave and other don't. And sometimes it's just good to be different
My bike is not that expensive, it has been very reliable over the last four year and it performes well enough to give the RoadStar around my area hell, even with the tour pak and lowers on.
I ride with almost anyone, any brand bike and wave to anyone that waves,sometime I get a wave sometimes I don't. I hope you have better luck in the future.
Ride fast, Ride safe.
Andrew Gear drive
Andrew 50G cam
Bassani True Duals
Bassani Dual Megaphones
DTT
Mikuni 42

MrBill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
killer sperm

Milehog wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is something, a communication I suppose, between the harmonics of a Harley and the rider. Whatever it is, is pleasing, exiting, and soothing all at once. On a Harley you don't have to nail the throttle to get your jollies, cruising along is just fine.
Milehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

springer- is still riding a stock bike springer- is still riding a stock bike
I live in Maine also and I can tell you that I will never wave to you. Not because of what you ride but because I am not risking my life so that I can wave at someone I don't even know.

As for the rest, to each his own.

Check out Ride of the Month
springer- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Teufelhunden wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:

Mainerider
As was printed on what was my all time favorite T-shirt:

HARLEY-DAVIDSON

If you understand, no explanation is neccessary.

If you don't understand, no explanation is possible.

Teu
Teufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Motosurf wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have ridden for the last 35 years on mostly *** bikes and I bought them all used because I always got a deal on a low mileage bike that the owner just wanted to get rid of, unlike Harley owners. I like *** bikes because they are reliable, and like my commuter car, a Nissan Sentra, I know I can always arrive at my destination, but I look at them as inexpensive transportation. But the coolest bike I have ever owned is one I could not find a deal on used, so I bought new and have no regrets. That bike is a H-D Street Bob in Denim Black and it handles, has high quality and was the center of attention by many crotch rocket riders at the local hangouts on Ortega highway this past sunday. Check out the new '06 Dynas. As a longtime *** bike enthusiast I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Motosurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 10:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
JMS
IronButt

JMS wants to know Dino or Syn?
mainerider, what do you ride and do you wave ?

JMS in TX
Old 10-24-2005, 11:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

EricEdelman wants to know Dino or Syn?
If we have to explain....

Quote:
Mainerider
I don't get it either, but I really like my Electra Glide.

Most people probably go for the sound, the low end grunt of the motors, and the styling. The Japanese bikes have tried to copy these three things, albeit in vain. It doesn't make the Japanese bikes bad motorcycles, but it sure doesn't make them Harleys either.

Harleys are good at being Harleys. They're not quiet and comfy like a Goldwing. They're not fast like a Hayabusa. They're not sophisticated like a BMW K-bike. They're not cheap. They use some of the oldest engineering in the motorcyle world today.

On the other hand, they're the only company I can think of that has it's corporate logo tattooed on a whole lot of people.
2008 Buell 1125R
2007 Honda Rebel (Wife's Training Bike)
EricEdelman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

84FXRP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
.....I've been riding for about 20 years, and don't really get the devotion harley riders have to the brand.

Also- Is there some kind of rule about not waving? ....
Welcome to the Forum.

Many Harley riders have/had other brands as well, so I don't think we are all "Koolaid" drinkers. For me, Harley has the best sensory input of any motorcycle. It looks right, feels right, sounds right, ...., so that it's character is very pleasant on roads/speeds in the U.S.A. It is a joy to ride.

As to reliability, my Harley-Davidsons have been very reliable bikes. I put over 100,000 miles on my 1984 FXRP with NO significant problems. My 1980 FXB, 1986 FXR, 1992 FLT, and my 2005 FXD have all been very much problem free. (My BMWs have all been reliable as well.)

SECRET: They were/are STOCK bikes. Minor changes only and NO changes to the engines. I just rode them, gas, oil, tires, and periodic maintenance.

If you look at many of the "problems" folks report on the FORUM, a lot of them are self-inflicted. Folks doing maintenance without benefit of a Service Manual, and folks "improving" engine performance without a clear understanding of what they are doing, don't make for a reliable bike. If you want to hop-up your bike, then you better find someone that KNOWS what they are doing.

As for me, I wave at everybody. Around here, most people wave back regardless of manufacturer or style of bike.
84FXRP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
I haven't seen your bird.

MadCity is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally posted by mainerider
You either get it or you don't. It doesn't mean you're stupid if you don't or smart if you do. It just is.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in