How To Change Motorcycle Tires : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > V-Twin Forum News
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sponsored Editorial Content

Motorcycle.com wants to know Dino or Syn?
How To Change Motorcycle Tires

Quote:
Why would anyone want to change their own tires? Isnít it hard work that usually involves at least one bleeding knuckle? Donít the tools cost a small fortune when you consider that shops only charge about 25 bucks for the service? Well, some riders donít live within a few miles of a bike shop. And some folks, well, theyíve always got to do things themselves.

The good news is that, overworked sweat glands aside, changing tires is relatively easy Ė once you have the right tools. All you really need is a bead breaker, a set of tire irons, some dish soap, and a tire balancing stand.

Begin with your bike on front and rear stands. Once youíve removed a wheel, unscrew the valve core with a valve stem tool. After the tire has finished its lengthy sigh, place your wheel on an old tire or other work surface. Whatever support you use, you want to make sure the wheel is not resting on a brake disc while youíre working on the bead. Discs bend all too easily and are quite expensive.
Read more about How To Change Motorcycle Tires at Motorcycle.com.
Motorcycle.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg_E wants to know Dino or Syn?
Having recently put tire on a scooter with the "right" tools, there are times that it just isn't worth the effort but is worth the few dollars to have it done at a shop. Harbor Freight motorcycle tire machine, NoMar bar, NoMar lube goop, NoMar bead locker rim clamp thing and a really difficult tire is often not worth it.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

RickSherman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I ran a sidecar for seven years. I changed tires on the rear every couple of thousand miles. It was my only transportation so that was often. I will pay someone with the tools to do it if I can but would love to have the tools again.
RickSherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Nickolas_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
Changing tires is a breeze. If anyone doesn't do it it's because they don't work on their own machine for not being mechanically inclined , are lazy or don't mind paying to have it done. I just changed both tires and balanced them easily on my FLH. No special tools needed. All I use is a piece of hard flexible plastic for rim protection, pry bar from the tool box about a foot or two in length, dish soap and glass cleaner for removal and replacement. Dont use dish soap for your new tire it may cause it to spin inside the rim for being slick. Glass cleaner works great for installing the new tire. To balance use the existing axle shaft and a pair of jack stands. Stick on wheel weights of course and your on the road. The hardest part is breaking the bead on the tire already on but after you get that done the rest couldn't be simpler. I put a pair of tires on my ride for less than 150 bucks. And I get the satisfaction of knowing repairs are done right, bolts and nuts are torqued to spec. And loctite keeps things where they should be. I wouldn't even own a Harley if I couldn't do the repairs. For me a big part of owning it is also doing My own customizing, repairs . I get a lot of gratification from doing my own work. I make that machine the way I want it without worrying if the mechanic forgot something or left off a part, didn't tighten a bolt or use loctite. I can ride with 100% worry free repairs and also my wallet stays fat... That's just me...

Happy Trails...

Nick

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Last edited by Nickolas_; 07-01-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Nickolas_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

gunsmoke wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have always changed my own tires

Back in the day, I carried the tools on my bike to repair the tires, All the *** bikes had center stands and tube tires easy to pull a tire and patch a tube. it could be done in less than an hour with just a few tools.
On my Ultra I change the tires as needed in the drive way. I did invest in a bead breaking tool from harbor freight and a motorcycle wheel balancer. For me, the hardest part is removing and replacing the rear tire. It is worth it knowing it is all done right and everything is torqued and adjust correctly.the 100 - 200 $ saved goes for the next set of tires.
I now carry a plug kit and inflators for roadside repairs
gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

pb68slab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool

Did it for years with the 3-lever method. Now I do it on a Coates tire machine.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this? 09DesertGlide is reading this now saying WTF is this?
We have a shop that will mount and balance the tires for 30.00 if you buy the tires from them. They were 10.00 higher than internet pricing on the tires. If you bring in the rim only, they mount for free. As long as they are doing that deal, that's how I'm doing it.
09DesertGlide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

casement wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've done it many times with small tire spoons ("take small bites") and whatever was handy for support. A spray bottle with very soapy water helps greatly.

I scored a used Coates machine cheap (you can buy the consumable repop plastic rim and tool protectors via Ebay) and life is much better. It also does riding mower tires which came in handy installing ATV rears on my mower.

There are some rims even shops hate, like some Honda VTX rears. I'll farm those out after pulling the wheel myself.

Tools pay for themselves easily over time. I can swap tires much quicker than driving to a dealer so that works for me.
casement is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

BulbousCube1210 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have yet to change my own tire on my bike, but I am really looking forward to busting my knuckles.
BulbousCube1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I used to change tires on my BMW. I pinched a few tubes until I used baby powder. Slips right in.

As a side note I have yet to develop uterine cancer.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in