Top 10 Best Motorcycling Touring Roads - Page 3 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > V-Twin Forum News
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
FNG :)

Indy Road Dog wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'll throw in a few great ones: US 129 (Dragon), Cherahola, Going to the Sun Road Glacier NP in Montana - doesn't get anymore scenic than that, 93/35 loop around Flathead Lake in Montana, TX170 along the Rio Grande, The "Threes" in Texas Hill Country, TX166/TX118 loop west of Ft. Davis, New Mexico 152. There are so many roads to list and most everyone knows of some great roads in their area. That's what I love about everyone throwing them on here. Now, I've got more roads to checkout. Please keep 'em coming.
Indy Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

sublime is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Face it... This is a beautiful country with so many interesting places to see that I doubt ANY of us will be able to honestly make a fair attempt at a top ten list. I have ridden most of the West Coast, some large chunks of Nevada and Idaho.. Two routes to Sturgis (one there and a different coming home) and I have to say I have barely scratched the surface on two wheels. Maybe by the time I am 60 I will have scratched the surface. I doubt I will have the time on this planet to see all of the US from the back of my motorcycle. I am going to try... I'd love to take three months off and ride up to Alaska, down through Canada, down in to Michigan then over to New York / Niagra falls, down the East Coast to Florida, then back across the Southern states to get him.. That sounds like a beautiful dream to me.
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

sublime is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 707eric View Post
I would have to agree with this, 199 is beautiful outside of Crescent City.

Hwy 101 I would say anywhere north of Legget.

Hwy 299 from 101 to I-5 the entire ride is great.

Hwy 36 is also a beautiful ride.
Eric, are you going to redwood run?
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
IronButt

Ziggy57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hwy 49 from Jamestown thru the backwoods past Angels Camp to Hwy 88 in Jackson then up to Lake Tahoe is one of he most beautiful rides I've seen. Also coming from Virginia City then over Hwy 50 to Lake Tahoe is awesome!!
Ziggy57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
IronButt

sportking wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila SG View Post
US1 Florida City to Key West, has been in many magazines and books, as one of the best scenic drives in America, one of the most relaxing beautiful touring roads I've taken. JMO
Except you will be lucky to get into 3rd gear
sportking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #36 (permalink)

tall1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you like curves and beautiful country to boot (Sonoran Desert to high Alpine country) Highway 191 (the old 666 Devil's Hwy) from Clifton, AZ to Alpine, AZ, is hard to beat...makes Dragon's Tail seem tame (I've ridden it)...over 450 curves in apx 95 miles...very little traffic. After overnighting in Alpine, AZ you can head over to Show Low, AZ and either head down Hwy 77 through the Salt River Canyon to Globe, AZ, for more twisties fun, or you can take Hwy 260 through the Mogollon Rim country to Payson, AZ and Hwy 87 down into Phoenix, AZ, for a nice ride through the sweepers, Ponderosa Pines and back to the Sonoran Desert. It's a GREAT ride for those that like outstanding scenery and challenge along the way! I'm treating a buddy from Palm Springs to the ride this weekend...can't wait!
Rinehart 3.5" True Duals
tall1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Lefty is still riding a stock bike Lefty is still riding a stock bike Lefty is still riding a stock bike
Without mention of the Beartooth Highway in Montana/Wyoming and the Blue Ridge Parkway, not much of a list . . . .
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mistert wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'll have to say that the riding here in the middle of the Arkansas/Missouri Ozarks is awesome. Have a bro in Maine and it's georgeous up there too, we just have a longer riding season here in north-central Arkansas. Come see us!
mistert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
IronButt

ncmedic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistert View Post
I'll have to say that the riding here in the middle of the Arkansas/Missouri Ozarks is awesome. Have a bro in Maine and it's georgeous up there too, we just have a longer riding season here in north-central Arkansas. Come see us!
I've always wanted to ride Maine, next year we're planning a trip "up North" and I'm thing thats where it'll be.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Banned

squidly wants to know Dino or Syn?
I don't know enough about the whole country, but Highway 49, 299 and coastal 1 are absolutely unreal rides out here in California.

Some of these sure look interesting though, it might be time to go one some longer rides.
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #41 (permalink)
Banned

squidly wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy57 View Post
Hwy 49 from Jamestown thru the backwoods past Angels Camp to Hwy 88 in Jackson then up to Lake Tahoe is one of he most beautiful rides I've seen. Also coming from Virginia City then over Hwy 50 to Lake Tahoe is awesome!!
Those are some incredible rides. Not to mention 120 in to Yosemite via Tioga Pass and up over to Nevada. Spectacular views abound.
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
IronButt

Larbaldi wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmedic View Post
I've always wanted to ride Maine, next year we're planning a trip "up North" and I'm thing thats where it'll be.
Ride up the east coast into Maine and out to Acadia National Park in the fall ... it's beautiful.

2009 FLHTCU ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
1979 FXEF STROKER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
BUSHTEC QUANTUM TRAILER ( BLACK, OF COURSE ! )
AMA MEMBER / ABATE MEMBER
Larbaldi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #43 (permalink)
IronButt

FLSTFI Dave wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Without mention of the Beartooth Highway in Montana/Wyoming and the Blue Ridge Parkway, not much of a list . . . .
I would tend to agree, Chief Joseph hwy in Wy is great too.

13 CVO Road King Anniversary, #162
12 CVO Road Glide, White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black
03 FLSTFI Silver and Black, now has real fire radical paint set. 95", S&S 570G cams, V&H Big Shot Longs
11 FLHX Street Glide, Purple and black, wifes ride
09 FLSTC Heritage Teal and Antique White, wifes ride
FLSTFI Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #44 (permalink)

HeritageBob57 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Adding on to one of Indy Dog's routes, Route 93 along Flathead Lake and right into Idaho...Rt 93 traces the Salmon River for miles through some amazingly beautiful gorges...there should be a sign at the Idaho border that reads, "Welcome to Idaho, America's Best Kept Scenic Secret"...Glacier was amazing, Beartooth is always incredible as is Chief Joseph...

Last edited by HeritageBob57; 11-09-2012 at 12:25 PM.
HeritageBob57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #45 (permalink)

JakePoppa wants to know Dino or Syn?
that's a great list

Love to ride all of them....but have only done a few.
JakePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in