V-Twin Forum banner

Mikuni 42 ?

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Nitram_b4 
#1 ·
So I got roped into helping another friend with a top end on their twin cam. This is a 05 Electra glide but carb not FI. He bought a new Mikuni 42 to got with the 95” top end instead of the stock CV carb. Although I’m not sold it’s an authentic Mikuni as it came in a white unmarked box and not paperwork of any kind. Seems a little blah for s big company like Mikuni.

I pulled the bottom jet out and it’s 160? Other two jets in the kit say 155 and 170. What is this measurement as it’s different then S&S. Is this a good starting point for this? I have no experience with a Mikuni and just need him running good for break in then hell dyno it.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Assuming that P is a 0 and the phone keypad didn’t change to numbers fast enough to keep up with your brain terry that would give these 160 jets a conversion of about .063 correct.
That good for a 95” 10:1 kB pistons and S&S 510s?

I figured Mikuni would at least provide a printed box or some kind of paperwork. I’m really thinking he got a knockoff and wonder if he knows it. Any tell tale signs by looking st it to tell?

#4 ·
how much did he pay for it? that'll be the determining factor....that carb if it's a real Mikuni should run over $300 and you're correct if it was real it would be in an identifiable box with a crap ton of paperwork.

#5 ·
Depends of it was sold in a kit with other parts
When converting metric I always take the metric number and divide by 25.4 either method works but when I am going through thousands of blue prints with thousands of dimensions it's quicker to punch in a calculator [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I talked to him last night and he said he bought it direct from the Mikuni website and it came in a bigger box with Mikuni on it. So it should be legit.
Are there any starting point adjustments to apply? Not a lot of tuning videos out there compared to s&s where they say mixture screw 1.5 turns out to start etc.

#12 ·
Well found the main reason of the sputter

Tech tip of the day. The rubber intake gaskets work way better when not put on backwards.
Fml.
30 seconds and a can of carb cleaner to find the problem air leak. Two hours and a drained gas tank that was freshly topped off to fix it. There’s a reason people get paid to do this for a living and I don’t haha

#14 ·
Right. And it’s clear as day how it should be yet I still managed to F it up. I knew everything was going way to smoothly. All good now. Isles around 1k good throttle response and no pinging. Might need to adjust accelerator pump has a slight hesitation off idle. But I’m learning this Mikuni as I go haha

#15 ·
Don't feel bad, I was tired one late night working on my bike doing something I did thousands of times on many bikes and managed to assemble wrong. I friggen assembled the push rod covers wrong, I couldn't understand why I struggled with them so much. Next morning switched them around, thank God for adjustable.push rods or it would have really pissed me off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.