Local HD won't work on 2000 w/MMfi! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Twin-Cam Engine
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

pb68slab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Local HD won't work on 2000 w/MMfi!

As anyone who pays attention to this topic knows , I not fond of the Magnetti Marelli fuel injection system , and this has happened more times than I can count , and has happened again.
A 2000 RK w/MMfi came to my friends auto/bike repair shop where I occasionally work on bikes today with running problems. The owner installed pipes but no intake mods. Stock airbox. Idles OK , roll on throttle , burbles along till the end of travel then WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm thinking it sounds like a TPS , but the local dealership won't even look at it. OBSOLETE! No parts/no factory support available.

Told him flat out he should install current (Delphi) system and quoted him like $5000! Another customer overheard the conversation , told him about converting to carb , and sent him our way. The shop owner is more computer savvy than me and has the hook-ups and diagnostic software so we'll see.

Ironically , this dealership is the original seller of this bike. Doesn't have very many miles , 30k-something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Don Dorfman is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Fix it and move on. TPS is a common problem. It affects the mixture, so be sure and measure the idle voltage and duplicate that when the new one is installed. The epoxy can be removed and the air bleeds cleaned. Like mixture screws so be sure to count the turns and get them back the same. Filter in tank should be clean or replaced. Injectors can be serviced by a FI car guy, the red ones. Check fuel pressure. Replace the intake seals, follow SM and set the idles, and motor on. Slight tweaks can be made to richen or lean the mixture with the TPS.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb68slab View Post
As anyone who pays attention to this topic knows , I not fond of the Magnetti Marelli fuel injection system , and this has happened more times than I can count , and has happened again.
A 2000 RK w/MMfi came to my friends auto/bike repair shop where I occasionally work on bikes today with running problems. The owner installed pipes but no intake mods. Stock airbox. Idles OK , roll on throttle , burbles along till the end of travel then WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm thinking it sounds like a TPS , but the local dealership won't even look at it. OBSOLETE! No parts/no factory support available.

Told him flat out he should install current (Delphi) system and quoted him like $5000! Another customer overheard the conversation , told him about converting to carb , and sent him our way. The shop owner is more computer savvy than me and has the hook-ups and diagnostic software so we'll see.

Ironically , this dealership is the original seller of this bike. Doesn't have very many miles , 30k-something.
Dealer not working on it is not a surprise.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this? jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dorfman View Post
Injectors can be serviced by a FI car guy, the red ones.
https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/Pages/home.aspx

I didn't know they were part of FCA, but that makes sense.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike
Sounds right. My understanding is that anything more than 10 years old and the dealer might not/prolly won't work on it.
Black, chrome & loud.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

72 Ironhead XL wants to know Dino or Syn?
just another reason I refuse to support them with paper manuals and go with the digital ones
Dealers wont work on them, then you have to and you dont have to pay for the manuals , most of them anyway
72 Ironhead XL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I think it's ridiculous that you can't ride in on a Silent Gray Fellow and have it serviced. HD should service every HD. No exceptions. It borders on absurd.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

HDfatbagger is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEINERDOGBONE View Post
I think it's ridiculous that you can't ride in on a Silent Gray Fellow and have it serviced. HD should service every HD. No exceptions. It borders on absurd.
No not all models, but the twin-cam is only 3 years out of production, althou I can see the MM FI as being obsolete.
HDfatbagger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
They will service it.

Oil changes, brake relines, tires, that sort of stuff.

They just wont work on MM injection or do major repairs.

From a business point of view, its a good call.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
They will service it.

Oil changes, brake relines, tires, that sort of stuff.

They just wont work on MM injection or do major repairs.

From a business point of view, its a good call.
I get the business decision, but they did build the damn thing after all.
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 01:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Kickman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well, Harley Davidson Motor Company built it, we try our best to help them keep them running but parts are getting harder and harder to get.

Theres a lot of them out there, you would think somebody would come up with a profitable, but reasonable alternative. A complete conversion kit.
Kickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickman View Post
.... you would think somebody would come up with a profitable, but reasonable alternative. A complete conversion kit.
They do. They convert them to carbs.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

Rules read.
Alan S is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Mattbastard wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
You think my local Ford dealer would take on the task of putting new valve seats and re-vulcanizing the tires on my Model T?
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Dunno, I think it's a short-sighted business decision that tarnishes their rep and pisses off customers. Sure, they'll still sell new bikes, but customer loyalty is something earned and maintained. Easy to throw it away, hard to regain. Harley's strategic decision-making is typically poor and this is just another example. Buell, MV Augusta, pressed-together TC cranks, and on and on... Stupid on top of stupid. Good tactical marketing. Very poor strategic decision-making.
Black, chrome & loud.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Kickman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
They do. They convert them to carbs.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

For the dealer to be able to assist a customer it would have to be carb and EPA compliant, otherwise they put themselves at risk of heavy fines, no dealer is going to touch that job. A lot of the OEM carburetor parts and emissions equipment parts are now obsolete,
Kickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in