V-Twin Forum banner

FXRG Jacket Rant

21K views 81 replies 59 participants last post by  JTS1469 
#1 · (Edited)
Nice jackets, they are...but $600??? I know the name "Harley-Davidson" is synonymous with the word "overpriced" but this is just ridiculous! :mad: #@SasF# Rant over.

#27 ·
njyamahauler said:
FYI, that jacket of yours is guaranteed for 5 years. Take it back to the dealer.
FWIW: I bought the lightweight FXRG jacket. (Nylon)
Was really pissed the other day when I went to snap the liner in and the snaps all came apart.
Will the dealer replace the jacket? Anyone have any experience with returning one?

Ride Safe,
Vettster

#28 ·
Vettster said:
Was really pissed the other day when I went to snap the liner in and the snaps all came apart.
Will the dealer replace the jacket? Anyone have any experience with returning one?

Ride Safe,
Vettster
I'm not too sure about the lightweight nylon model, but I know the middleweight leather is guaranteed for 5 years!

#30 ·
Warranty work

The dealer had to send my stuff out to get fixed. It took 3-6 weeks (chaps and zipper on jacket). I got replacement chaps (Foxcreek) and another jacket while the stuff was getting fixed.

#31 ·
Vettster said:

Ride Safe,
Vettster
My dealer keeps extra snaps for repairs, they will fix it for you.

#32 ·
Heavyweight H-D Leather

Is it worth $600, damn well depends on whether you need it or not. If you ride a couple thousand miles a month then yes. I wouldn't want to kiss the asphalt in anything else. If you're just a poser bar-hopping every Friday and Saturday night, buy something cheaper and spend the rest on beer and a tombstone.

As for the 'because it has H-D on it', the only way someone will know it is a Harley jacket is if you take it off and look at the inside. Can't easily tell from the outside.

Regret is more expensive than this protective equipment (jacket).

#34 ·
sthorp said:
My dealer keeps extra snaps for repairs, they will fix it for you.
I guess I don't get it...how can you be happy with a $600 jacket that has to continually be repaired...as for what safety you'll have when falling down, the money ain't gonna save yer a$$ unless yer pockets are stuffed...my cheapo Jammin' jacket weighs about 35 lbs and is of the highest quality leather, this thing will save your skin literally!!!

#35 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
I guess I don't get it...how can you be happy with a $600 jacket that has to continually be repaired...as for what safety you'll have when falling down, the money ain't gonna save yer a$$ unless yer pockets are stuffed...my cheapo Jammin' jacket weighs about 35 lbs and is of the highest quality leather, this thing will save your skin literally!!!
FWIW: Mine didn't cost $600.00. It is the nylon jacket. (It cost $400.00 retail)
The jackets have a 5 year guarantee. The snaps for the liner broke.
Other than that, it's a great jacket.
If the dealer fixes it or warranties it, I will be satisfied.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

#36 · (Edited)
Vettster said:
FWIW: Mine didn't cost $600.00. It is the nylon jacket. (It cost $400.00 retail)
The jackets have a 5 year guarantee. The snaps for the liner broke.
Other than that, it's a great jacket.
If the dealer fixes it or warranties it, I will be satisfied.

Ride Safe,
Vettster
I'm not knocking the jacket and really hope it gets fixed...I just have been broke most of my life (not as broke these days) and have a hard time not lookin' for value/bang for the buck...(my Jammin' leather has a lifetime warranty on zippers & Snaps)

#38 ·
FXRG jacket

I aquired a second hand FXRG long jacket and trousers about 4 years ago. I ride through the English winters (guess i'm just wierd) and I have to say that this is the best bad weather clothing available at any price. Of course its expensive, it's got Harley- Davidson written on it, but it works. I've shrunk so i'll be buying another set.

#40 ·
pspez said:
I have the nylon and it is great. I recommend it.
Hey there pspez...

I'm hunting for a new motorcycle jacket and the nylon FXRG (jacket and pants) is something I really want to consider to replace my old cheap leather jacket and chaps. Don't get me wrong, I love leather but I'm willing to change :)

My questions are:

a) How waterproof is it really? I don't mind spending the extra money if I don't need to buy rain gear.

b) Is is a viable replacement for a high quality leather jacket.

c) can it be warn comfortably over a reasonable temp range, lets say 40 deg F to 90+, how well does is block the cold wind?

d) How does it hold up to every day riding, or a spill (God forbid...)

e) How heavy is it?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a newbee ^rolleyez^

Cheers,

#41 ·
Fxrg

In my experience the FXRG clothing is totally waterproof. I've never worn it in the warm weather, so couldnt comment on the comfort under those conditions. It's not too heavy to wear but is very bulky to carry on the bike, not a problem on the glide, but could be on anything else.

#42 ·
Hi All,

I have the heavyweight fxrg leather jacket. I like it, though it is a heavy jacket. I have found it to be very waterproof--riding through desert thunderstorms, it kept me dry. I rarely use the liner. Being that I am from So Cal, it doesn't get that cold, but I don't ride in much cold weather anyway if I can help it. That said--in some of my long trips such as to Reno I will wear it but it doesn't keep me warm once it gets down to the high 50's or low 60's.

Got to have additional layers and neck protection when it gets down into the low 60's. That how it is for me--see what growing up in So Cal has done to me.^rolleyez^

On the other hand, I do wear it without the liner, vents opened, zipper down all the way into the mid to high 80's. It does get warm, but to me it is tolerable. Hence, for me it works from the 50's to the 80's, but in the upper end I am changing to a light weight leather jacket or a mesh jacket with armor and in the lower range I am adding cold weather gear.

My jacket has been through hell and back and it holds up well. This includes a meeting with the pavement. No upper body damage at all. The jacket was scuffed and I did have a small hole in the side where one of my glock mags was. The side of the jacket under the arm may be a weak spot. I had my local leather shop sew in a nice thick piece of cow hide. It looks great and the protection has been increased.

The only sore spot for me in the spill was my hip and butt cheek. Chaps are nice but I am looking for a good set of leather overpants. Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards, SSC

#44 ·
I bought my wife an FXRG from Zanotti's for $420 shipped ($560 + tax at dealer), ended up being a 30% discount off of retail. Even though $420 is still a lot of coin, I know how much I like my older FXRG jacket and if my wife went down on her bike I would feel better with all of the armor in that jacket protecting her.

I think the FXRG jackets are top shelf but I wouldn't buy one from the dealership either ;)

#45 ·
bought fxrg coat 1/2 price

cement city H.D. in mi.had a large rack of pants and coats for 1/2 price...i think they were last year models..i got a heavy leather 3x for $302.50 cant go wrong with that.....went bacck and bought the pants for around $150..dont care that much for the style but great to ride in..

#46 ·
mslater741 said:
cement city H.D. in mi.had a large rack of pants and coats for 1/2 price...i think they were last year models..i got a heavy leather 3x for $302.50 cant go wrong with that.....went bacck and bought the pants for around $150..dont care that much for the style but great to ride in..

cement city is a good dealership ,,,,, if you love to shop their back room sale dept has alot of deals... a buddy of mine bought a roadking from them ,, he got a great deal ...being a multi brand dealership i think makes them a little more willing to move rolling stock..... rat

#47 ·
I have purchased a LOT of H-D riding gear on E Bay. You can find some really good deals if you pay attention to the numbers.
I go to the stealer and try stuff on for size, then start the online search.
I have no regrets, and have saved a ton of $$$.
And BTW, I really like my FXRG nylon jacket.

#48 ·
fxrg jacket

I bought an xxl fxrg up here last year, price 880 Cdn, yeah it steep I thought, but the features and fit weren't available on any other jacket. So after riding season I took it back to the dealer to have some repairs done. Nothing major but for 880 and a 5 year guarantee I'm going to use it. one of the rubber caps at the top of the side jacket pocket had a small tear in it, and one of the nylon cords on the snap in liner broke, and guess what, yesterday the shipped me a brand new one for replacement.

#49 ·
Best By FAR!!

I've been riding Harleys since 1979 and have owned ALL the cheap jackets and a couple of supposedly good ones too. My buddy whom I grew up with got a FXRG rite after they were released. He kept telling me how excellant it was compared to all of the other leather jackets he had owned. We put on lots of miles and my present jacket at the time was a little short of arm so I spent the money and SWEAR by this jacket. Warm when its cold and perfect when it's hot! It is the most comforatable leather jacket I have ever worn BY FAR! You think leather is leather. Try one out and you will be sold!! All features well thought out. I have 2 summers on mine. Thanks, Grant.

#51 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
The "you get what you paid for" scenario only works on occasion when dealing with some retailers, example: Levi's at "Macy's" $38, Levi's at "Kolh's" $27 (same style not on sale) I bought a very heavy, high quality winter leather (highway style) with full zip out thinsulate liner (sleeves too), permanent satin sewn in liner, the best zippers (6), snaps (7), pulls (same) from "Jammin' Leather" for $170 a few years ago, it looks like new and the finish is as good as any at the dealer...a similar leather will cost you nearly $500 at the dealer...after paying what we have for the scoot we'd hope for a little slack in merchandise...or at least I would!
swmnkdinthervr said:
I guess I don't get it...how can you be happy with a $600 jacket that has to continually be repaired...as for what safety you'll have when falling down, the money ain't gonna save yer a$$ unless yer pockets are stuffed...my cheapo Jammin' jacket weighs about 35 lbs and is of the highest quality leather, this thing will save your skin literally!!!!
swmnkdinthervr said:
I'm not knocking the jacket and really hope it gets fixed...I just have been broke most of my life (not as broke these days) and have a hard time not lookin' for value/bang for the buck...(my Jammin' leather has a lifetime warranty on zippers & Snaps)
Hey swmnkdinthervr...How do ya like yer "Jammin" jacket? No really, how do ya like it?:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :cheers:

Sorry, I just found that really funny! I've actually been looking at 'em for a few months, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.