The Next Corvette - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Non-Motorcycle Related Discussion > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

NCMtnRider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Faster is not equal to more satisfying, at least not for me. I am not drag-racing or trying to tweak my lap times to save another 1/10 of a second.

My first exposure to the manu-matic was a Mustang GT I rented a few yrs ago. I was unimpressed with it and used it twice while having the car. Late last year I added a '16 Lexus GS350 to my fleet which has padle shifters on the wheel and can be shifted with the stick (still manu-matic BS). I am still not impressed.

On the other hand, I have a 1984 CJ-7 with an auto and I find that I like it better than the manual trans Jeeps I have driven in the past. This satisfaction came only after swapping the 6-cylinder to a 360V8. But the Jeep doesn't even hint at begin a high performance vehicle.
NCMtnRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

duuude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'm a year behind you and feel the same way. The Chevy dealer was across the street from my high school. I spent a few lunch hours 'test driving' 1970 models- Z/28s, SS Chevelles, etc. There were lots of 4 speeds involved.

I'm a GM, especially Chevrolet, lifer; but I've developed an appreciation for Chrysler's 50s and (especially) 60s designs.

joe
Days gone by never to return.... Sure glad I was around to see it..

These cars were all 3-6 years old in my late teens into my twenties, and were affordable to young people working in service ( another forgotten word) stations after school and on weekends.... I remember taking most of my paycheck each month to the speed shop.... I think that's why I keep everything stock today...…

Ahh, but for Friday and Saturday nights......LOL

A pic of my 69 six pack super bee from 1973.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0169.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	245092  

Last edited by duuude; 04-14-2019 at 12:50 PM.
duuude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is still riding a stock bike cwilks is still riding a stock bike
THOSE were the days back then.....I owned TWO yes TWO '67 SS396 factory 4 speed Chevelle's....one of em a 375hp 396 in the early '70's.....both red....weird huh?

good lookin Coronet there duuude.

Last edited by cwilks; 04-14-2019 at 01:02 PM.
cwilks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

filterless is still riding a stock bike filterless is still riding a stock bike
well joe....i think you're just and old trucker that
can't shake your passion for pushin in a clutch pedal
and workin a stick....all good.
filterless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

choochmalooch wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool

I'll bet that even though it's automatic it will have the paddle shifters so they'll be no mead for a clutch.

2012 FLHTP
2003 FLSTF

1. Ride
2. Wash
3. Rinse
4. Repeat
choochmalooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterless View Post
well joe....i think you're just and old trucker ....
I've called him a mother trucker a few times.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

Rules read.
Alan S is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
If they took the capabilities of a modern automatic trans with staged lock up and 7 or more speeds and made a manual with the same capabilities, it would be like driving a three stick Kenwoody.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
.... it would be like driving a three stick Kenwoody.
I only drove a 2 stick and cursed the designer on a daily basis.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

Rules read.
Alan S is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
FNG :)

phyhowe wants to know Dino or Syn?
I enjoyed the 5x4 and 6x4 Petes I drove a lifetime ago.
phyhowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

duuude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
THOSE were the days back then.....I owned TWO yes TWO '67 SS396 factory 4 speed Chevelle's....one of em a 375hp 396 in the early '70's.....both red....weird huh?

good lookin Coronet there duuude.
67 Chevelles, one of my favorites...

The Butterscotch super bee in the pic was sold in 74 ( not a good college car) for $700.. Person who bought it wrapped it around a telephone pole 30 days later and it was totaled... I saw the car disassembled at a wrecking yard.. Kinda sad... You don't want to know what a nice A12, 4-speed car is worth nowadays...…
duuude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by duuude View Post
Days gone by never to return.... Sure glad I was around to see it..

These cars were all 3-6 years old in my late teens into my twenties, and were affordable to young people working in service ( another forgotten word) stations after school and on weekends.... I remember taking most of my paycheck each month to the speed shop.... I think that's why I keep everything stock today...

Ahh, but for Friday and Saturday nights......LOL

A pic of my 69 six pack super bee from 1973.....
Military bases in those days were gold mines of cheap fast cars. Cars I tried to buy but couldn't scrape up the money for include a $700 '65 SS396 4 speed Impala, an $800 '70 (I think) 4 speed W-30 Cutlas (with A/C), a $500 '68 Corvair with a 350 small block mid-engine kit in it.

joe
Free Range Intellect
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

WEINERDOGBONE is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
If they took the capabilities of a modern automatic trans with staged lock up and 7 or more speeds and made a manual with the same capabilities, it would be like driving a three stick Kenwoody.

https://youtu.be/8lEYaTvvq4g
What the hell is this sorcery?
WEINERDOGBONE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
They do it now with one stick and two switches.

Almost as bad as three sticks, but at least you can do it with one hand.

You get four plus a grany in the low range. Then in high range you get 4 more with high/low splits.

Last edited by Thermodyne; 04-15-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Thermodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEINERDOGBONE View Post
What the hell is this sorcery?
High and a low on the right. Splitter on the left. And gear selector in the center. I think. On half of the split changes he's just in and out of the same gear.

Baddest manual gear stick I ever had was 1st forward with a gate to open, 2 straight back, 3 straight forward, 4 straight back. Reverse on another lever.

Worked good going up, down shifting was a little tricky as you had to set the gate to get into the lower two gears.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Misters wants to know Dino or Syn?
The first driving job I got was in a cab over, 400 cummings with a 13 speed... 100 mph truck. Drove it like a sports car, hitting every gear up and down. The 13 speed gives you options. Chasing that "perfect shift" was fun for awhile.
Later, having learned to "use the engine", a simple 9 speed and a 350 worked just fine.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in