Professional Truckers : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Non-Motorcycle Related Discussion > Off Topic Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2004, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

NWFatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Professional Truckers

This thought came to me reading the Fog Thread and I know it's been mentioned before, but...

I gotta say that while I'm on my bike with all the dickhead drivers out there, I can usually count on Truckers to be the safest and most courteous drivers on the road. Except for Harley riders.

They rarely tailgate me. They move over to the shoulder when meeting me on a two lane so as not to blow me off the road. They wave and generally just go out of there way to be non threatening.

Now I know there are some real dildo's out there, as in every group. But this is what I've noticed.

This group does not include the illegals and barely legals driving the old pos farm semi's we have around here. Those ****heads just need to be sh0t!

Anybody else have this opinion or is it just my locale?

BTW, my opinion changes when I'm drivin my cage!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke
NWFatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2004, 12:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

JTS1469 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree 100%! I travel on the NJ Turnpike alot and have only used the cars only lanes when the truck lane is closed. Most truck drivers know they have the size so they dont need to prove anything. I would rather deal with the risk and wind from big trucks then the ignorance and lack of consideration of cars and suv's.
JTS
JTS1469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 01:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
That's why they are called professionals.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Harris

Some of these guys drive millions of miles without an accident. Not just not an accident that was their fault, none AT ALL. Accomplishing that requires skill of course (remember the fact they're piloting a vehicle that weighs 20 to 40 times more than a car). More importantly, it requires the mindset of driving not just for yourself, but for the other guy. In other words, I suspect most truck drivers respect what it is we're doing out there, because a good motorcyclist and a good trucker are trying to accomplish the same thing - operate safely in an environment where the odds are stacked against you.

Harris
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 03:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

V-Twin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey
That's why they are called professionals.
I guess the "professionals" don't drive I-94 through Michigan. I really have nothing but distain for most of 'em. They think they own the road, and maybe they're pissed off that they have to drive 55 instead of 70, I don't know, I don't care. You chose your profession. I've been run onto the shoulder in both my truck and on my bike by these "professionals". No, I wasn't riding in their blind spot. This doesn't count the # of times that I've had to just about lock the brakes for some f*ck who wants to pass 3 other trucks while going a whopping 57MPH. I'm going 70 or above in the fast lane and here comes a directional and 2 seconds later, he's in the fast lane and I'm on the brakes. Professional? nope. stupid? Yes. How about the ones that want to drive 1/2 on the shoulder in traffic so noone can get past them to the next ramp? Professional? yeah, real. I did have the pleasure of kicking the ass of one of those punks. I'm on the way to the airport, and the highway is jammed up because some "professional" flipped a truck load of fish on the highway. I get on the shoulder and head for the next exit. Johnny trucker thinking he's now the highway patrol, pulls his cab out in front of me on the shoulder and stops. I got around him, stopped and got out. i guess he thought I wanted to have a chat. He said about 3 words before I punched him in the face and gave him a good ass kicking. What I'd like to do is pull in front of one of these guys and force them to slow down to 35 from 55 for 5 miles or so and see if they find that ok. It seems to be just fine for them to do it to everyone behind them. after all, they're going to make it to their destination 20min faster now. I'm sure I'll hear all about guns and tire billys etc from the other tough guy truckers. What they need to do is stay in the f*cking right lane where they belong. This is after they add a mental stability test to the CDL process.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Twin
I guess the "professionals" don't drive I-94 through Michigan. I really have nothing but distain for most of 'em. They think they own the road, and maybe they're pissed off that they have to drive 55 instead of 70, I don't know, I don't care. You chose your profession. I've been run onto the shoulder in both my truck and on my bike by these "professionals". No, I wasn't riding in their blind spot. This doesn't count the # of times that I've had to just about lock the brakes for some f*ck who wants to pass 3 other trucks while going a whopping 57MPH. I'm going 70 or above in the fast lane and here comes a directional and 2 seconds later, he's in the fast lane and I'm on the brakes. Professional? nope. stupid? Yes. How about the ones that want to drive 1/2 on the shoulder in traffic so noone can get past them to the next ramp? Professional? yeah, real. I did have the pleasure of kicking the ass of one of those punks. I'm on the way to the airport, and the highway is jammed up because some "professional" flipped a truck load of fish on the highway. I get on the shoulder and head for the next exit. Johnny trucker thinking he's now the highway patrol, pulls his cab out in front of me on the shoulder and stops. I got around him, stopped and got out. i guess he thought I wanted to have a chat. He said about 3 words before I punched him in the face and gave him a good ass kicking. What I'd like to do is pull in front of one of these guys and force them to slow down to 35 from 55 for 5 miles or so and see if they find that ok. It seems to be just fine for them to do it to everyone behind them. after all, they're going to make it to their destination 20min faster now. I'm sure I'll hear all about guns and tire billys etc from the other tough guy truckers. What they need to do is stay in the f*cking right lane where they belong. This is after they add a mental stability test to the CDL process.
I'm almost 40 years old. I have never in my life been driven off the road or even onto the shoulder in any vehicle. That's a serious statement. I have a CDL license and I use to drive professionally all over the country.

Maybe, possibly, you need to pay more attention to your surroundings. Study the Smith System. I dunno, not wanting to put the blame on you because there are few bad apples in any group so it could very well happen. Just think you might need to ask yourself why you keep getting run off the road. If it happens a lot you could be the problem.

The Smith System.

Aim High in Steering®
- Look ahead to where you will be at least 15 seconds from now.

Get the Big Picture®
- While glancing ahead, don't forget the sides and rear. Consistently update your information.

Keep Your Eyes Moving®
- Focusing on any object for too long reduces your peripheral vision - your early warning system.

Leave Yourself an Out®
- When possible, surround your truck with space.

Make Sure They See You®
- Eye contact is insurance against the unexpected

Last edited by James; 09-04-2004 at 04:49 AM.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

FXDeanX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did ya grab his keys and throw them in the lake too?
FXDeanX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 07:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mikesbike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFatboy
This thought came to me reading the Fog Thread and I know it's been mentioned before, but...

I gotta say that while I'm on my bike with all the dickhead drivers out there, I can usually count on Truckers to be the safest and most courteous drivers on the road. Except for Harley riders.

They rarely tailgate me. They move over to the shoulder when meeting me on a two lane so as not to blow me off the road. They wave and generally just go out of there way to be non threatening.

Now I know there are some real dildo's out there, as in every group. But this is what I've noticed.

This group does not include the illegals and barely legals driving the old pos farm semi's we have around here. Those ****heads just need to be sh0t!

Anybody else have this opinion or is it just my locale?

BTW, my opinion changes when I'm drivin my cage!

For the most part I tend to agree with what you say. Truckers don't tailgate as a rule. I saw one trucker commit vehicular harrassment with a woman in the right lane the other day, and I was waiting for the State boys to come rolling up after I thought she called 911.

There seems to be alot of Nascar Moms and Dads in minivans zig zagging in and out of traffic. Something I've notice with Truckers is that it depends on the state. Truckers are kept at safe speeds by law while travelling in Ohio. In IL, MI, & PA, its a free for all out there. In WVA and PA the coal trucks or bucket trucks run at insane speeds and also do a lot of NASCAR moves.
mikesbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Road Captain

hogg831 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDeanX

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer are purely coincidental. Any resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic. The question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is left as an exercise for the reader. The question of the existence of the reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.

Fun is a good thing, whining sucks!
hogg831 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

pierce wants to know Dino or Syn?
I respect truckers but like riding the highways and byways better on Sunday when they are taking the day off. Much, much, much, better.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Chaotic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Twin

I have driven trucks over the road for over 14 years and I'd love to run across you one day and see you punch me in the face.

Its called the Emergency lane for a reason asshole. It's not your personal driving lane because your to ****ing impatient to wait like everyone else. How do you know that there was not something on the shoulder ahead like an emergency crew?

People like you that generalize all truckers because you got pissed off by one or two bad ones can kiss my ass. In the 14 some years I have driven a truck I have been in two accidents. One in New Jersey where some asshole decided driving behind me was too much trouble and passed me on the shoulder before he lost it and spun out. He parked his cage under my trailer. The other one was a cage that missed his exit, slammed his breaks on and cut across 2 lanes in-front of me.

You don't like trucks blocking your way because they are only going 57 MPH? Write your ****ing congressmen and tell him about. Split speed limits cause more accidents than they prevent.

Trucks are loaded down to as much as 80,000 pounds and to say that they “slow down” in front of you and it pisses you off is funny. Get a clue, your pissing and moaning about the same old $hit truckers have heard for years....

He's what ya do, stay the fuk out of their blind spots, don't tailgate them and don't think that just because they have 18 wheels that they can stop as fast as you can. One more thing, I'll let ya in on a little secret. Your right, truckers chose their profession and I don't know any that expect to have anyone feel sorry for them but, its a $hit life at times. Your away from your family for months at a time, you get next to no respect for what you do and you deal with assholes like yourself that are just pissed off at the world. While your going home to your family to eat a hot meal, watch your TV and sleep in your own bed, truckers are out there hauling the $hit that keeps this country going.

People like you need to think what would happen if trucks stopped, even for a week. You would ****ing starve. Then you would be on here bitching about truckers not bringing stuff for you.

Last edited by Chaotic; 09-04-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Chaotic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Harris

V-twin,

Your story defies logic. You were supposedly in such a hurry you were willing to drive on the shoulder, yet you then stop to "give a good ass kicking" to a driver. Your story is a lie. Yes, I'm calling you a liar. But, if you can prove the incident occured as you describe (police report, your treatment records from the emergency room), I will pay $100.00 to Dave to help with the costs of this site, in your name.

You talk about getting run off the road routinely. That tells me you routinely take a bad position.

Finally, YOU talk about the need for someone else to have a mental stability evalution, if you actually drove the way you talk about in your post, your brain will be examined soon enough - at autopsy.

Harris
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 04:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

fourhour wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXDeanX
Damn! Frank beat me to it, but ****en good one Deano!ennis
"Let the world know you as you are, not as you think you should be, because sooner or later, if you are posing, you will forget the pose, and then where are you?" - Fanny Brice, American actress and singer (1891-1951)
fourhour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

supersport wants to know Dino or Syn?
I believe the majority of OTR truckers are quite consiencious. Their livelihood depends on them being so! I've had my CDL for over 15 years and my Class 'A' for close to 10. Never drove OTR. Hauling local with tandem dumps, plowing snow with double wingers and hauling equipment with low-boy trailers were my meat and potatos for ten years. I now train others to safely and properly do the same among a myriad of other heavy construction equipment. The thing that frightens me most while out on the scoot amongst these heavy trucks is the fact they do shed hard parts, shred tires and many of them are mechanically unfit to be driven. I've all too often seen the results of mechanical failures of these things end up in catastrophe. Federally mandated pre-operative maintanence checks are to be done for a reason. All too often, an overlooked brake, steering or suspension component will be the death of someone.

We've got a real problem on the Rt 17, (future I 86) corridor. Garbage haulers coming upstate from the metropolitan areas are a real menace. There have been numerous fatalities due to excessive speed. So far as I know, they've yet to take anybody with them but it's just a matter of time. There are some pretty wicked curves winding through the hills and rock-cuts in the area and the rubber deposits on the pavement through these curves are an indication of the high speeds these asses are running. The State Troopers need to step up and shake up these rolling death traps! They put a small dent in the problem with roadside inspections but it's not enough. Some of these sh!t-birds have gone as far as to back-haul food products in the same trailer that contained garbage. I think what it all boils down to is money. Money being funneled into the state by the waste management industry but that's another can of worms in itself.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Markcuda wants to know Dino or Syn?
Red face

Quote:
I will pay $100.00 to Dave to help with the costs of this site, in your name.
So, what you are saying is, if he is lying you won't give Dave nothin'

Last edited by Markcuda; 09-04-2004 at 06:09 PM.
Markcuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in