V-Twin Forum banner

Premium vs. Super Premium oil cooler

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  berserker 
#1 ·
This friday is a 30% off sale at a dealer nearby...so i'm getting my list ready.
appreciate any opinions or knowledge on the differences between the 2 coolers.
Do both have "turbulators" or just the Premium?
Different oil filter adapters?
size difference?

#2 ·
The biggest difference is with the "adapters".

The Premium kit comes with an adapter that goes on the oil filter mount before the oil filter goes on.
The Super Premium comes with a new oil filter mount. Much cleaner design and setup IMHO. Worth the extra $$.

FYI..I have heard others state that the Premium kit is no longer available. I can't confirm that myself.

#3 ·
If you do get the "premium" one make sure to tighten all the fittings a little tighter than the instructions. I made the mistake of not tightening everything enough and it leaked within the first few months. Had to take it apart and tighten it to what I felt was tight enough, which was beyond what the specs call for. Now it doesn't leak. Otherwise, no problems. Unfortunately I never checked the before and after temp difference but the Super premium or whatever its called looks like its got about twice as much surface area-good for people who ride in extreme heat or parades (although cooling effect is much limited when you are stopped).

#7 ·
I got the regular. Has plate and bushing that screws into old adapter.

Biggest problem is I can't find a 7/16 hex head wrench or socket. Made one by putting jam nuts on 5/16 bolt. You need it to put new bushing in. Oil fuilter screws into bushing, which screws into old adapter?block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.