2008 touring bikes : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
2008 touring bikes

I seem to recall there was some bad juju about 2007/2008 bikes. I know the frame was updated in 09, but I'm referring to the machanicals.

A search came up empty, probably because I didn't word it correctly.

Can any of you guys refresh my memory?

Sent from here to there.

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
FNG :)

mountainkowboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Only thing I remember was the compensator thing and the standard cam chain tighteners

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Death wobble affected those scooters.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

autoworker wants to know Dino or Syn?
The final drive gearing sucked on those bikes. 6th gear was pretty much useless until about 70 miles an hour .It was like 2.7 :1 Final drive ratio. If I remember correctly was the 1st year of the 6 gallon tank on the old style frame.The compensator makes a loud Bang when you start the bike. It does I have the hydraulic Cam chain tensioners and larger oil pump.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Early 08 had defective fuel filter that would burst and leave you stranded. There was a recall. Also the 08 was the first year fbw throttle that had a delay between turning the throttle and engine response, very slight but annoying . Also, the 08 I rode was very underpowered.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is still riding a stock bike Uncle Salty is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkowboy View Post
Only thing I remember was the compensator thing and the standard cam chain tighteners
What is a standard cam chain tightener? Is there a deluxe version?
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Jake707SBFMC wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think '08 was a one year only frame design that sucked worse than the 07 and down correct? 09 and up is the current frame which handles much better..... for a bagger
Old 07-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

norm9278 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
IIRC the locator pins from the trans to the inner primary were eliminated for those years...
'07 was first year for 96" engine and hydraulic cam chain tensioners...

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

Last edited by norm9278; 07-09-2019 at 05:32 PM.
norm9278 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

scooper321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkowboy View Post

No on the cam chain tighteners. The went hydraulic in 2007. So thatís a non issue. I do agree that 6th gear isnít useful until 70mph, however. I have an 07 RK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scooper321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

JayFL726 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Only complaints I had for my 2008 Electra Glide Standard which had a 14 months and 30,000 Miles was the 5th Gear Whine and 6th Gear not really effective unless 70MPH+ .. The Compensator was bang on Hot Starts when I traded it in on my 09 Ultra but as far at Running and Handling had no problems with it including the dreaded death wobble I did hear from some that owned a 2008 ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bart4Sale-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	246040  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Mattbastard wants to know Dino or Syn?
death wobble isn't year specific. As long as Harley designs a bike with an isolator between the swingarm and the frame death wobble has a greater chance of happening. It's just noticed more on the older bikes because that's before the frame redesign of 2009.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Jake707SBFMC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
death wobble isn't year specific. As long as Harley designs a bike with an isolator between the swingarm and the frame death wobble has a greater chance of happening. It's just noticed more on the older bikes because that's before the frame redesign of 2009.
not year specific no but some years are much more wobblier (sh*t is that even a word lol) than others.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Wideyes wants to know Dino or Syn?
'07 didn't have fly by wire. '08 did and had issues with miss matched voltages leaving you stranded. My understanding is that they were trying to mimic the action of a compression release,...electronically. Which leads me to the compression issue and starter problems. If you ask me,...let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is still riding a stock bike smitty901 is still riding a stock bike
2007 RG put 75,000 most uneventful miles on it. Minor things like a sensor went out.
No issue with compensator, no issue with and cam chain tensioners . The first year for 6 speed it worked just fine.
Don't put a lot of stock in the internet rumor mill.
The 08 was like a cross over it had a few of the thing planned for the 2009 new frame bike like TWB and the way the seat mounted. Not a darn thing wrong with one in good shape. But if you can afford it go with the new frame. More to it than just a frame.
TC96 was border line needing ACR they became standard on the 103.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Mattbastard wants to know Dino or Syn?
So this thread got me thinkin' a bit. When I research model year differences like this I use the microfiche. According to the Ronnie's Fiche, 07, 08, 09, and 10 had unique frames each year as indicated by the last two digits in their part numbers. The 10 model year actually has an 11 year frame. Everything before 07 had an 02 model year frame, and the 12 model year had the 11 year frame.

As far as the drawings are concerned there's a clear difference between the 08 and earlier frames compared to the 09 and later frames, which we all knew, but perhaps there are some more subtle differences in 07 and 08 that don't clearly show up on the drawing.
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in