Stage 1. Do it yourself? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
FNG :)

cnuss@alltel.ne wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why

Why would you want to mess with with a bike you have never rode. Learning to ride it safely would seem more important than what it sounds like. Good Luck
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 01:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
FNG :)

iRacerX wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pull1 View Post
I’m getting ready to get a 2019 SG. I have never owned a bike before. I want to get a stage done on it. While mechanically inclined. Ie I can put the parts on. Does it need to go to a dealer for any tuning?

If it were me and I was mostly concerned with sound, I’d throw a slip on exhaust and enjoy it for at least a month. I had the stage iv done on my 17’, along with some other stuff, and while it improved the numbers on paper, the real world return on investment wasn’t really there given how heavy these bikes are to begin with. That 2019 SG will have plenty of grunt stock.

I think I put the S&S Mk45 exhaust on my bike. Great tone.

As others have mentioned, you’ll want to check first with your dealer on what will/won’t void your warranty in terms of upgrades. I replaced the speakers in the batwing and added an amp at a high end stereo shop that the sales manager recommended. When my heated grips went out, the service department initially told me my warranty was void due to the work being done outside of HD. Thankfully I still had the text from the sales mgr suggesting I take my bike there and the general manager and service mgr stepped up to make it right.

Point being, protect your investment because that warranty may come in handy, and congratulations on the sweet ride.
iRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 06:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is still riding a stock bike smitty901 is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by pull1 View Post
Thanks for the input. I am looking to improve sound. I have heard at best with a full stage one a 10% power gain. I’m just looking for the best route to get that good deep throaty sound with out messing with the cam.
10% in a prefect world. If a better sound is what you want find pipes you like and call it good. After a couple 1,000 miles pipes will pick up a bit more tone.
Removing CAT makes only a very slight difference in tone , it does not really make it louder. Not worth the effort unless the CAT heat bothers a passenger
To loud, remember this . Hearing Aids are expensive..

Last edited by smitty901; 03-29-2019 at 06:33 AM.
smitty901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 06:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

scooper321 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty901 View Post
Having never owned a bike before do you really want to sink extra cash into iy, that you will never recover if the bike thing does not work out for you?
if you want it a bit louder but still at a reasonable level Put some SE pipes on it call it done for now. No tuner , do listen to a word the sales person says get you bike and maybe your pipes and ride away. You can always do more latter but undoing it means you lose.
For a first bike a new m8 is going to be plenty fast enough.

This is good, and simple, advice. Yes, you can do all the work yourself, including getting a tuner and reprogramming the ECM. Itís not hard. But if youíre worried about the warranty thing, take this suggestion. I have a buddy with an M8 and he got SE pipes at the dealer when he bought. It sounds great. Not super loud, but definitely a Harley sound. This would be a good first step if sound is what youíre going for...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scooper321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

LTsGarage wants to know Dino or Syn?
If it's your first motorcycle. Why oh why do you need a "Stage one" kit on it. Just go ride the hell out of it for 10 or 20 thousand miles. Enjoy the bike. In a year or so down the road if you want it faster. Take it to a dealer & have a stage one tune done to it. Put on an air cleaner, pipe some mild cams. Tune the ecu and off you go. But you don't need a "Stage one" tune now.
LTsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2019, 07:15 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

guarnold wants to know Dino or Syn?
According to the Harley Davidson Website use of the pro street tuner does not affect warranty coverage. The pro street tuner has limitations for adjustments but it does allow you to load factory performance parameters as you add performance mods produced by Harley Davidson. It is still for sale on their website. Amazing that they would sell performance kits and devices to load software that would void warranty on their motorcycles.
Screamin Eagle street cannon mufflers with fishtails
Screamin Eagle Oil pump and cam plate
Jagg 10 Row cooler with fan
Revo A shocks with Axeo fork cartridges
Lenale engine cooling fan
Screamin Eagle compensator upgrade
guarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Premium Member

FalconEAZY wants to know Dino or Syn?
Their tuner and their tune software will NOT violate the EPA standard. It can’t by order of the courts when the EPA settlement took place a couple years ago. Thus the warranty is voided, per the EPA settlement, if anything other than Screaming Beagle parts are used.
If the bike is new, even the Screaming Eagle upgrades are under warranty if done within 60 days of delivery to the owner. As others have said, check with the dealer, and if possible even check with another dealer nearby.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
IronButt

guarnold wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just called the dealer in Burlington North Carolina. The service department stated that if Screaming Eagle parts are installed and the pro street tuner is used for calibration software your factory warranty will not be affected. The use of any 3rd party parts will void the factory warranty. This makes sense to me. If you put in a set of, for instance, S&S cams and used a fuelpak management system it's not a Harley motor anymore. The Screaming Eagle performance upgrades are certified by the EPA during the engineering and testing phase so the EPA is happy. They know the level of emissions that will be produced. Harley knows the effect the upgrades have on the engine so they can warranty the bike. You can perform the upgrade yourself if you want to. I did the stage one on my 2012 103ci along with a set of Street Cannon slip on mufflers and noticed an improvement in power and smoothness when cruising at high speed. For me, stage one performance is enough.
Screamin Eagle street cannon mufflers with fishtails
Screamin Eagle Oil pump and cam plate
Jagg 10 Row cooler with fan
Revo A shocks with Axeo fork cartridges
Lenale engine cooling fan
Screamin Eagle compensator upgrade

Last edited by guarnold; 04-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.
guarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

nytryder wants to know Dino or Syn?
As others have mentioned, leave it alone for now. By the end of summer you will have a better idea of what you want. FWIW a stage 1 tuner from HD is pretty much useless in my opinion.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Dan89FLSTC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Deleted, something smelled fishy...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 04-13-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Dan89FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

duuude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC View Post
Deleted, something smelled fishy...
Sounds like a girl I use to date...….
duuude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
IronButt

pb68slab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFL726 View Post
I would leave a Brand New Ride Alone for the First 2,000 Miles anyway .. Learn more about it before playing with your Warranty ..
Exactly!

Never owned a bike before?
You need to learn how to ride it on the streets before worrying about more power. Ride with your head , not your wrist!
Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

10-64 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do it in stages..................On my new FLHX the dealer has put the Screaming Eagle Street Cannons on it for now. Good sound, and slightly better performance.

Next step will be to complete the Stage 1 by just changing the Intake and doing the mapping.

Easier to spread out the cost a bit and do it as a winter storage project now
Old 04-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is still riding a stock bike smitty901 is still riding a stock bike
They call it a Stage 1 because it is the base for the next stage and the next. If you have it in the back of your mind that you are going to chase more power then you need to really think about a stage 1. If you do a basic Stage 1, end up going for a full Stage 3 or 4 down the road your exhaust choices may not be the the best for the job. The freer flowing exhaust you may enjoy as a stage 1, may not be the best option for your Stage 3 or 4.
And the freer exhaust you would use will not work well for a Stage 1.
Si try to figure out where you plan to end the chase.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-64 View Post
Do it in stages..................On my new FLHX the dealer has put the Screaming Eagle Street Cannons on it for now. Good sound, and slightly better performance.

Next step will be to complete the Stage 1 by just changing the Intake and doing the mapping.

Easier to spread out the cost a bit and do it as a winter storage project now
So, start off with a Stage 0.3?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in