What's the sound I am hearing when... : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

journeymanjohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
What's the sound I am hearing when...

. I flip the "RUN" switch on? It is not every time. Maybe a third of the time, maybe.

I'd call it a split second 'whir', but it's really too deep of a sound to really be a 'whir'. Possibly more like a little grunt.

Kind of sounds electrical...

Can't really tell where it's coming from.
journeymanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Ddaddyo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fuel Pump.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Jake707SBFMC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Got one of those fuel injected FXRs? Lucky

Old 06-12-2019, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

No, not fuel injected.

I assumed this was just a gravity feed system. I did not realize a 93 FXRS Conv had a fuel pump.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
FOAD

Scotty_No1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
A relay a bit noisy or VOES switch getting power and might be noisy and then again could be something you have on your bike that I don't have.
Scotty_No1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Probably a relay or circuit breaker getting weak.

You'll just have to pull the covers and trace the noise down.

Sent from here to there.

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Probably one of those Flux capacitors.

Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Racepres is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Or... The stock Ignition system will generally "fire" when power is switched..
Generally causing a "Fart"

Otherwise???? Check all elactrical circuits... one that is not working is the Breaker that may be "breaking"

or?????
Racepres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racepres View Post
Or... The stock Ignition system will generally "fire" when power is switched..
Generally causing a "Fart"

Otherwise???? Check all elactrical circuits... one that is not working is the Breaker that may be "breaking"

or?????
It sounds like you are pretty familiar with the sound. Good description. Have never associated that sound with a tripping breaker though.

It's not a stock ignition system, but rather a Dyna2000 Single Fire.

I haven't noticed anything not working, other than the occasional click of dread. Haven't gotten around to troubleshooting that one yet.

Thanks.

Last edited by journeymanjohn; 06-12-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SubDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
The run/stop swtich sends +12 to the start switch, and the ignition only, and only when the ignition switch is in ignition mode.
Funny, the first thing that came to my mind was fuel pump, too.
The first place I'd stick my ear next to is the switch housing, then the breakers (with the cover removed).
SubDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Mikefox wants to know Dino or Syn?
Racepress might be right about the start fart.
My dyna s does the same thing.
If a cylinder is on the intake stroke or fire stroke it will sound like a fart or blowing out a candle

Fire it up let it run a minute
Shut it off . Disconnect the coil or pull plug leads and see if you can get it to do it .
Mikefox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanjohn View Post
. I flip the "RUN" switch on? It is not every time. Maybe a third of the time, maybe.

I'd call it a split second 'whir', but it's really too deep of a sound to really be a 'whir'. Possibly more like a little grunt.

Kind of sounds electrical...

Can't really tell where it's coming from.
What does "sounds electrical" mean? Sounds like something arcing? I'd be checking every electrical connection on the bike for carbon.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
What does "sounds electrical" mean? Sounds like something arcing? I'd be checking every electrical connection on the bike for carbon.
Well, I originally thought it sounded like the starter itself just beginning to engage. But, just by instinct, I am going against that theory now.

Like a smallish motor without enough juice to do it's job and quickly bogging down or hanging up. More of a cough than a fart, now that I think about it, but I would agree there is a light fluttering in the sound.

I'll try to get to troubleshooting the dreaded click issue, and this cough/fart soon. Possibly related. I do wish I knew how to make the sound happen, but it is intermittent.

I'll just have to keep listening at various locations, starting with the electrics panel location everytime I get her out and about and start it. Typically daily. I'll try to record it... but am not sure the best way to post it up...

It does sound as though others experience this type of sound on occasion, and are not concerned... so it may be normal... but not knowing for sure is a bit disconcerting.

Last edited by journeymanjohn; 06-12-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanjohn View Post
Well, I originally thought it sounded like the starter itself just beginning to engage. But, just by instinct, I am going against that theory now.

Like a smallish motor without enough juice to do it's job and quickly bogging down or hanging up. More of a cough than a fart, now that I think about it, but I would agree there is a light fluttering in the sound.

I'll try to get to troubleshooting the dreaded click issue, and this cough/fart soon. Possibly related. I do wish I knew how to make the sound happen, but it is intermittent.

I'll just have to keep listening at various locations, starting with the electrics panel location everytime I get her out and about and start it. Typically daily. I'll try to record it... but am not sure the best way to post it up...

It does sound as though others experience this type of sound on occasion, and are not concerned... so it may be normal... but not knowing for sure is a bit disconcerting.
Intermittent leads me to still think it could be a loose connection arcing. Sometimes it makes good contact and sometimes not.

Combined with "the dreaded click" also makes me wonder the same thing. Check out and clean up your battery connections (including the ground to frame) first.

Have you had your battery tested?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Kickman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Did I miss year make and model? If this is Delphi with automatic compression releases, then at key on the ACRs snap open,pop/click and the IAC stepper motor is opening to prepare for start up... that grunting motor noise at your air cleaner. If you you put your finger here at key on/off you can feel it as well...

Tech tip if you block the port with your finger that this motor opens and closes and your motor doesn't stall, you have an intake leak....
Kickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in