Fxr4 r&r : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2019, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

fxdlx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fxr4 r&r

With only 17.5 thousand mi on it when I got it last summer this 2000 fxr was in rough shape. The floating rotors rattled. The wheel bearings (sealed bearings) were shot. The engine was low on oil, it was noisy as he!! when warmed up. The front end was soft, like it would bottom out when you grabbed the front brakes. The stock Fox shocks were seized & wouldn't adjust. I decided to go thru it to make it my daily rider.

So far I've got it stripped to just the tranny sitting in the frame. I pulled the engine today.

For the 39mm forks, I installed progressive springs, gold valves, longer damper tubes, new seals (the bushings were in spec) A fork brace and rubber fork boots. I went with the boots cause I like them, it's a 70's thing and we have lots of road sand all year here. Its hard on paint and anything in the front of your motorcycle. Maybe the tubes will last longer? The neck bearings are good so the front end is back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FXR4-2018.png
Views:	155
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	244280   Click image for larger version

Name:	FXR4 R&R.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	244282  
fxdlx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

I pulled the swing arm and pressed out the cleve blocks on my home made press using a piece of 1 1/4" schedule 40 pipe, a socket and 3/8 extension. For the base I was able to find a piece of exhaust out of my shed to block the swing arm on and the cleve block dropped into that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Press.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	244284   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleveblocks.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	244286  

Last edited by fxdlx; 01-27-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

JayFL726 wants to know Dino or Syn?
You have done some nice work there .. Good to see an FXR4 back on the Road .. I miss mine sometimes but was made an offer I couldn't refuse on it ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FXRHIGH.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	244290  

Old 01-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
Great job. Keep us updated.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Jake707SBFMC wants to know Dino or Syn?
Love the motor stand. Gotta love the versatility of the universal garage smoker chair. Every home garage has that chair and when you light up your roach that's where you sit haha.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Oh hell ya. Makes it easier to move engines around too��
Old 02-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

I cut off the inner primary bearing race. Going with a double row sealed ball bearing in the primary.
Switching from 1 1/2" belt to chain on the rear. And moved the crank vent from dumping into the carb to atmospheric. Had to make a 16ga plug, then drill & tap the AC backing plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	inner primary race.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	244350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front sprocket.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	244352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear sprocket.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	244354   Click image for larger version

Name:	16ga plug.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	244356   Click image for larger version

Name:	New cc vent.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	244358  

Old 02-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

How are you connecting the breather bolt to the threaded inset inside the AC? Or are you just running a small hose from the bolt to inside the fitting threads?

I thought about doing something like this to mine but ended up just ordering the kit from DK customs with the bracket and banjo bolts to mount between my backing plate and heads.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake707SBFMC View Post
How are you connecting the breather bolt to the threaded inset inside the AC? Or are you just running a small hose from the bolt to inside the fitting threads.
1/2 bolt with a hole drilled thru. Then with the caps I made the recessed area is now a chamber which drains into the 1/8 NPT barbed hose ftng.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
While its apart, you ought to put a 21 tooth motor sprocket on it. Unless you plan on taking it to the high banks at Daytona.

You also might want to add an inch to the rear shocks, those -4 will drag bad in a hard lean.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

I took the 12” fox shocks off, they were shot. I put 13 1/2 schocks on back. the front is a bit stiffer and the ride height raised 2” from the longer damper tubes. That’ll prob work with the cold asphalt here. Tires start drifting when you lean too much on cold blacktop.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

I Got the engine in place. Just needed a little help moving the chair when I lifted it into the frame. Bolted it to the tranny. Next I gotta do the front mount, then the inner primary etc. Kind of a bitch getting that transmission to line up with the motor mount holes. 94 fxr manual said to remove the front mount. That made it easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2000FXR r-n-r.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	244430  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

SubDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ha! I feel better seeing I'm not the only one that roughhouses on his bike that's just resting on an atv lift!
Keep up the good work.
SubDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDude View Post
Ha! I feel better seeing I'm not the only one that roughhouses on his bike that's just resting on an atv lift!
Keep up the good work.
Thanks, Ha ha they (3)were sitting on those jacks during the 7.2 earthquake we had in November '19, and the over 8500 after shocks since, some in the 4-5.0 range.
I drove home as soon as I could after the quake to check on them. Oh, and the wife and dogs.

As far as the jacks go just be prepared to block a tire if its going to be unbalanced by pulling the forks or something and they work fine. Its all a matter of priorities.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Ill let the more experienced correct me if Im wrong but I think you need to align the motor and tranny with the primary all at the same time right?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in