Death and rebirth of an 89 FXR : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Model Specific Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson FXR
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

ArcAngel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Death and rebirth of an 89 FXR

This thread is dedicated to all those who want to build a custom ride but dont have the cash to hire some custom shop and a ton of cash laying around. This whole rebuild was done with two hammers a tig welder and 100 dollars worth of sheet metal thats about it. This was my 1989 FXRS Lowrider pre crash. I loved this bike and just couldn't let it die. I was going around a sharp bend in the road on the brakes and I ran over a sewer cap with some sand on it. The front wheel let loose like it was on ice and I went down at about 40 mph. The forward controls put my leg in a bad spot and my left leg went under the bike and the upper shock bolt shattered my lower left leg. The plate screws and bolts it took to put it back together is a whole other thread with of info. So here I am over 5 months on crutches one month on a cane and one month walking with a severe limp I still ain't walking right but getting better. About a month ago I decided I wanted to resurrect the wreckage of my beloved hog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-19_15-44-17_437.jpg
Views:	1645
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	75970  
ArcAngel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this? Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
good luck to you, looking forward to see pics of your progress
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

where to start

It took some long hard thinking of what to do with this bike. obviously first thing was to dismantle the whole bike and inspect the frame for being bent or twisted, lucky for me everything looked ok so now it was design time. It starts with some thinking first of what you want in a motorcycle, do you want a chopper, bobber, pro street, bagger or some hybrid of some sort. I want a bike i can throw around and handling was the primary goal. This was the reason i always wanted an FXR. Knowing that modifying the frame geometry was out of the question this bike already had the handling i was looking for. I also love the cafe racer look and wanted to come up with a modern take on that style. When i came up with where i wanted to go with it. I drew on a piece of scrap paper some rough sketches of some designs. don't bother getting too technical with the drawings when you start building you kind of just let it happen. It' more fun that way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-10-23_15-03-12_933.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	75971  

Old 01-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Thank you sir. i have gotten pretty far already just decided to share my experience with all and will keep on going till i catch up. the end result was worth it. enjoy!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Michael Psycle is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you literally and figuratively get back on your feet, soon. And I will look forward to reading about your progress in rebuilding the bike again.

BTW, I know Massapequa well. I grew up in Brooklyn and had lots of family and friends on the island.
Michael Psycle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

gretsch58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the build and the healing process.

"Why behave in public when you're living on a play ground" DLR
gretsch58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Let the beating begin

So here's the deal i'm a welder by trade so i have experience but not with sheet metal at all, i work and heavy structural steel and thick plate arc welding not tig and sheet metal. So anybody out there can do this. You have to decide what gauge to make it out of the thinner it is the lighter and easier it will be to work but it flimsy and will require bracing and support the heavier it is the harder it is to work and it can be heavy. I chose 16 gauge for everything fairly easy to work and strong as hell. this thickness won't dent up and realy isnt to heavy. I got a 3x8 sheet for fifty bucks. What you will need is cardboard lots of it. poster board the thin stuff is best so you can bend it easy and it cuts well for making templates. A good pair of scissors some razor blades and some sharp pencils. Two or three hammers one good size rubber mallet round the corners of it on a grinder a medium and a small ballpeen hammer. A handheld grinder with sand paper disks like 80 grit and acces to a bandsaw or plasma cutter would be great. If not get a hold of a jigsaw with metal blades. thats about it.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

So lets face it the fxr wasnt nicknamed the uglyglide for nothing everybody hates the "foriegn" bike triangle frame on the side and other than the tank there isn't much room for paint. I dont think its ugly but i did want more paint area. So with that said i wanted to cover the sides of the bike and sleek it up a bit. I also wanted to keep the cafe racer theme going. so sketch out your cardboard design and cut it out you can bend it around and check fit. them trace it on the metal and cut it out. The design i had rolled arond the frame so i used a piece of pipe to curl the tail over to get it close use the rubber mallet so you dont dent it up bad and slowly beat it around the pipe till it is close. then after bolting the shock through it and lampming it in place i just beat the rest around the frame to form it. do both sides then cut and fit the other side. i thend put the rear plate underneath for tail light. this held it in shape and made it really strong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20121128_144348_508.jpg
Views:	1389
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	75972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121128_163549_519.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	75973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121128_163611_472.jpg
Views:	1123
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	75974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121206_145830_915.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	75975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130107_163528_329.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	75976  

Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

thanks for all the well wishes. ssuuupp Booklyn!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

beardo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Back in July of 2011, I went down, at the same speed, same leg, lower left, and had the same hardware. I healed up very quickly. They told me I would be lucky to go back to work in 6-8 months on light duty, I was back in 3 on full duty. Bust your ass in rehab, it will pay off. The other side of it is, as soon as you can, have them take all the metal out. They told me it would be there for the rest of my life. BULLSHIT! It's my leg and told them to remove every bit of scrap. They did, and I feel terrific! I'm not, nor do I ever expect to be 100%, BUT I feel so much closer now, then I ever did with the metal.

And good to see you getting back on the horse!
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

so now that the rear fender base was done now you can see the seat is not hitting in the rear. I had to build up the area under it. I traced with a pencil along the edge of the seat and cut out the area under the seat tail and made more templates and cut them out of steel. I made them a half inch to high o purpose and rolled the edges over using a crescent wrench to make the lip that seat will sit on a wall just behind the seat that held up the steel tapering off in a following slope of the seat to the tip of the fender. then i floor in the glove box yes i said glove box. I always wanted a little storage spot and with this design it worked perfect! My girl loves to ride and that mustang seat sucks because she slides off the ass when i drive like me so i wanted to make a removable sissy bar that wouldn't interfere with the look of the bike. so i welded in some angle clips with nuts welded to them. So two 3/8 bolts ant it pops right off. i made the sissy bar out of 1/4 x 2 stainless for strength and yet it is very thin from the side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20130107_163557_491.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	75978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130111_163514_724.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	75979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130111_163836_090.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	75980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130114_180443_431.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	75981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130111_172730_053.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	75982  

Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Thanks beardo. that's great mine was literally shattered i'll attach some CT scans was told if it didn't take they would have had to cut it off but luckily that didn't happen. you can see how bad it was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-09-13_11-48-47_511.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	75983   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-13_11-48-59_11.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	75984  
Old 01-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

beardo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
Thanks beardo. that's great mine was literally shattered i'll attach some CT scans was told if it didn't take they would have had to cut it off but luckily that didn't happen. you can see how bad it was.
How did you get them to send you your scans? I asked and was told that was a no go. Mine was eerily similiar. Did your fibula snap up high, too?

LOL I told them to chop mine off! Multiple times! Figured I would be faster without the added weight!
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this? Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Yup, that is an ugly ankle, my brother did one 30 years ago and walks with a pretty good limp. It does not slow him down tho.
Nice work by the way
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Yup, that is an ugly ankle, my brother did one 30 years ago and walks with a pretty good limp. It does not slow him down tho.
Nice work by the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in