Has Your Harley Ever Left You Stranded? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Location: Motto.. Live for today becuase you never know what tomorrow brings...
1L243 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Has Your Harley Ever Left You Stranded?

I came across a guy along the road having trouble with is Heritage the other day. It seemed like it was in limp mode but did not seem hot. I was able to follow him to where he was staying. Never did learn what was wrong with it.

This made me wonder if others have been stranded on the road and what the problem was.

I'll start. I was riding my 2009 FLHT. At that time the bike had 48k miles on it. I was on the freeway the bike started to loose power. I noticed my oil pressure was under 5lbs at freeway speed. My oil temp was pegged at 350 degrees.. By the time I got off the freeway and stopped I could smell the burnt oil coming from the engine.

Turned out to be a crankshaft failure.

I had to have the engine rebuilt (out of warranty). The bike how has 90k miles on it and has not missed a beat and has not left me walking...

Old 07-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels Alan S just installed tassels
My shovelhead left me stranded once when the magnet for the ignition fell off..

My FXR left me stranded when the pinion key sheared, causing the valve and piston to kiss.

Sent from here to there.

Rules read.
Alan S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

pocoskip wants to know Dino or Syn?
'72 CH stranded me when sprocket rivets failed, couple years later 3rd gear failed. '78 FLH stranded me when primary belt broke, and again when a stainless steel battery cover I made pinched the vent line. '87 FLST lost a rear belt once.

Poco
BWVMC-Retired
EMC (SW) USN - Retired
pocoskip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is still riding a stock bike cwilks is still riding a stock bike
If you haven't been stranded you're not riding enough......I can't even begin to remember all the times.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this? twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Let's see, Gear lever broke, rode 20 miles in 4th, best gear to take off in and get up the highest speed.

Screw vibrated out off back of my seat so I slipped back and forth once I hit a good dip or bump, pulled over reset seat and off I went. drove about another hour with a loose seat to Nashville Indiana this way.

Lost a spark plug, It was from my first spark plug change a few years back and I was too girly on the tightening it up part, for fear of stripping the threads, that was fun. It was before I kept a set of plugs in my bag. But that was only a mile from my house when that happened.

Installed new handle bars, had clutch adjusted, well I thought until my backing nut wasn't tight I guess, loss adjustment slowly going to Kentucky Lake. Oh how I thought I was fcked with a clutch out, and once I cooled down got my thoughts together, I discover I just lost adjustment. I had my 7/16 and 1/2 wrench in my bag. Always cool when you can fix it on the run.

So most all my fault, even the gear lever I'll say. I tend to bang on it with my heel, all this in just 4 years. lol

I say no, my scoot has not left me stranded, I did.

So, you don't believe people are A$$holes? Well next time you see a group of people just yell out "Hey! A$$hole!"
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

duuude wants to know Dino or Syn?
When my 97 EVO was a few years old it conked out on me driving down the road.. I fiddled around for a while thinking " OK, its a Harley thing" here....

Then I noticed I had hit my run switch on the Handlebars..... LOL.. Felt pretty stupid after that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0172.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	245952  
duuude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

norm9278 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Back in the day it was pretty much a weekly thing on my '69 FLH. Broke drive chain, broken transmission case, broke primary case, carb float bowl fell off, points burned, various wiring issues...
Had a trouble free '58 Sporty before that. Moved on to Triumph's for many years (just vibration issues) before returning to HD. I must say my more recent experiences with Harley have been much better. It's a good thing too, cause I can't lift them into the bed of a pickup truck any more!

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk
norm9278 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike
Yes. More than once. Same for Honda and Triumph. Pre-cell phone era. Ya carried tools.
Black, chrome & loud.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Wideyes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Everything I have ever owned has left me stranded at one time or another. The last time, on my bagger with a bad alternator.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Wideyes wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oh, I take that back, last time was a PCiii that took a crap, in the geographical center of earth. No cell service. No traffic. If it wasn't for pot farmers nearby, I never would have gotten outta there.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ArcAngel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
If you haven't been stranded you're not riding enough......I can't even begin to remember all the times.
Truth... Wow see that's the first thing we agree on... Lol
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019, 07:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is still riding a stock bike smitty901 is still riding a stock bike
It has been many years sense a stranded on the road side event. Many things help prevent that. The bikes are much better, better maintenance, having the cash to fix a problem before it fails.
Like it or not we have much better tires now, belts just don't fail. my 2013 once a tire
delayed me less than an hour was near home put a new valve stem in on the side of the road. My 2011 was totaled so that was not the bikes fault.
3,000-5,000 ride now is uneventful when it come to issue with the bike. I know most hate dealers but once a year before one of our longer rides I do take it in have the same tech that dose any work on mine look it over. cheap insurance.
Two issue have happened on the road in the last 10 years. Neither was a big deal. For what ever reason an inside brake pad was wearing faster than it should and I did not want to chance it riding 750 miles home. In and out at HD dealer in Pigeon Forge.
The next was an oil pressure switch failure. In and out at the same dealer warrantied and a free coffee.
Roll the years back to older bikes and empty wallet. Spent a lot of time stranded.
junk tires , chains . Tools did not always get it fixed.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

DurangoDave is reading this now saying WTF is this?
No never.

I have 107,000 miles on my 2009 Electra Glide and it's never left me stranded. I've been to 49 states. I rode to Prudhoe Bay in the Arctic Circle. My Harley has never let me down. The only work I have ever done to my cycle have been to replace wear items before they would break (Drive belt, bearings, tires, etc)

I didn't have enough range to ride the Dalton highway into the Arctic circle so I brought spare gas on my passenger seat. I rode until I ran out of gas and then stopped right in the middle of the road (no where to pull over) and I refueled.

I plan on rebuilding my Twin Cam every 130,000 and expect my Harley to last indefinitely. (500,000 or 800,000 miles?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
I guess I don't ride enough.

After just over 4 years I have now taken my Electra Glide to 49 states.
Here's my Alaska trip: https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/r...ml#post5827518

Last edited by DurangoDave; 07-04-2019 at 08:05 AM.
DurangoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Just Sayin'

DynaLow05 is reading this now saying WTF is this? DynaLow05 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoDave View Post
No never.

I have 107,000 miles on my 2009 Electra Glide and it's never left me stranded. I've been to 49 states. I rode to Prudhoe Bay in the Arctic Circle. My Harley has never let me down. The only work I have ever done to my cycle have been to replace wear items before they would break (Drive belt, bearings, tires, etc)

I didn't have enough range to ride the Dalton highway into the Arctic circle so I brought spare gas on my passenger seat. I rode until I ran out of gas and then stopped right in the middle of the road (no where to pull over) and I refueled.

I plan on rebuilding my Twin Cam every 130,000 and expect my Harley to last indefinitely. (500,000 or 800,000 miles?)

I guess I don't ride enough.
Now that there is funny.

Mine....once with a flat I couldn't fix. Another time, and this is strange, a fuse vibrated lose which I fixed once I figured it out. Outside of that.......so far so good.
Big Sucker
PC-V
Boss Bags
Mustang Solo
Chrome do dads

DynaLow05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Laars wants to know Dino or Syn?
" Has your Harley ever left you stranded?" Your Kidding, Right? Its a Harley. I love my bikes, but there is a reason I own two bikes. Our riding season is too short in NH. When one bike goes down, the other moves to the front of the garage.

I wouldn't trade my bikes for anything, but no matter how much I work on them and keep up with the maintenance, parts wear out. Just two weeks ago, I'm shifting, into 3rd, and it wont go. I pull over, and the shift lever is up in the air. The brass bushing where the shifter mounts to the shaft came apart. I got home by shifting, then tapping it down slightly to shift again. It happens.

Last edited by Laars; 07-05-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Laars is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in