Price discussions allowed here? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

P7M13 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Price discussions allowed here?

Wondering what kind of deals y'all are getting on new bikes. My first in '94 was pay retail or we'll just sell it to the next guy on the list. That was the story with my first few bikes. Last purchase '05 Electra Glide the sales guy was a personal friend.

Been out of the loop as far as dealer relationships go. About to drop the hammer on a '19 Street Glide Special in black. $27,089 MSRP.

What kind of deal should I expect?
'97 FLSTF
'98 FLHRC
'03 FXDWG
'05 FLHTCI

'05> two kids in private schools

'19/'20 ????
P7M13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Gunny4Sawx is still riding a stock bike Gunny4Sawx is still riding a stock bike Gunny4Sawx is still riding a stock bike
Cash trade finance?

Sent from a handheld item of convenience

There is no profit in Peace.

"I'm telling you John, Yoko is going to break up the band"

Gunny4Sawx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg_E wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 2020 models are not that far away, can you wait until they are out? Some of the dealers will sell the rental bikes at discounted prices but with full warranty, and some of the rentals have very low miles on them.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this? twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I would think once the 2020's hit showroom floor, there be more haggling for the 2019's

But from what I see, people still buy'em up fast, at least where I'm at.

Stay Humble, the holes dug for us in the ground are all the same size.
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cash. I was going to wait for the 2020s to hit the floor to see if there are any significant updates or colors I can't live without. However, I recently lost my mother and am in a serious funk and could use the riding therapy sooner rather than later so I decided to jump on one now.
'97 FLSTF
'98 FLHRC
'03 FXDWG
'05 FLHTCI

'19/'20 ????
Old 06-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

vistavette wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by P7M13 View Post
Cash. I was going to wait for the 2020s to hit the floor to see if there are any significant updates or colors I can't live without. However, I recently lost my mother and am in a serious funk and could use the riding therapy sooner rather than later so I decided to jump on one now.
Losing a parent is super hard, my condolences. The hurt never goes away, but somehow, it gets easier.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
vistavette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
The moco will cut the price of 19's soon after the 20's hit the floor.

Last year the cut was small, but then they cut again a few months into the winter.

But, Harley also cut the number of scooters built this year, to address how many left overs there were from previous years. SO its a bit of a crapshoot as to them having the scooter you want as a left over. In the past, it was pretty much a sure thing as long as it was not a limited production scooter. And I suspect this year will be the same, based on existing inventory and sluggish sales.

Past that, most of the discounting comes from additions to the trade value or adding merchandise to the ticket.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

MFXDB wants to know Dino or Syn?
Any deal you get will depend on what model you want, if the dealer has too many in stock and if a particular bike is still super desirable.

2007 FXDB
ThunderMax
DK 587 Outlaw
Ohlins
MFXDB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Dealers I'm looking at (Savannah, GA) near my mom's where I'm at now and at home in NOLA have quite a few Street Glide Specials on the floor.
'97 FLSTF
'98 FLHRC
'03 FXDWG
'05 FLHTCI

'19/'20 ????
Old 06-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Turboprop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Doesn't make a difference if its a bike, automobile, tractor. Paying a dealership by cash HURTS the deal. The dealerships rely on financing for one of their revenue streams. Tell a sales guy you will be paying cash and your price just went up.

That being said, I dont understand why some people think that asking for a CASH price means anything to anyone. Dealerships will be paid in full before the vehicle leaves the property. Same for private sellers. Had a guy make a CASH offer on an engine I was selling a month or sa ago. I just laughed at him. Naturally he asked why I was laughing. As if I would even consider taking a check, or marbles or yim yams or anything else. Cash. Now that is funny.

Multiple FXRs powered by TC124 engines.
Turboprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this? twood71 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboprop View Post
Doesn't make a difference if its a bike, automobile, tractor. Paying a dealership by cash HURTS the deal. The dealerships rely on financing for one of their revenue streams. Tell a sales guy you will be paying cash and your price just went up.

That being said, I dont understand why some people think that asking for a CASH price means anything to anyone. Dealerships will be paid in full before the vehicle leaves the property. Same for private sellers. Had a guy make a CASH offer on an engine I was selling a month or sa ago. I just laughed at him. Naturally he asked why I was laughing. As if I would even consider taking a check, or marbles or yim yams or anything else. Cash. Now that is funny.
Cash offers usually under my opinion avoids any BS. Basically Johnny on the spot. Vs waiting to see what one can get what amount financed with, or privately waiting on one to come back with a cashier check or again financed on. You also avoid intrest if your the buyer.

I wished I had waited and paid cashed more often vs some of the impulse buys.

Stay Humble, the holes dug for us in the ground are all the same size.
twood71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Turboprop wants to know Dino or Syn?
I used to sell cars for a living. Cash means the dealership isn't going to make anything on financing. Period.

Multiple FXRs powered by TC124 engines.
Turboprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

A friend of mine got a financed deal on his Ultra. As soon as the paperwork was signed and bike delivered he turned around and handed them a check to pay off the Harley financing.
'97 FLSTF
'98 FLHRC
'03 FXDWG
'05 FLHTCI

'19/'20 ????
Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboprop View Post
Well in the last 6 months I've prolly had a dozen people ask me to give them easy payments on a private sale scooter.

Mostly "what I got now and the rest when I get it.". But a couple wanted payments, one wanted weekly payments. I guess it comes from having podunk used car lots on every other corner around here.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

AMLouis is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Regarding your original question, that seems about a grand too high to me. I think I would ask a few dealerships and see who wants to sell one.

Worst case you can always buy this one.

In my life the deals I have got screwed on were the ones I went in thinking "I better hurry up before I miss this deal". Now I take my time and if it wasn't meant to be then so be it.

Regardless, sorry about your loss and good luck with the new bike.
AMLouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in