Buy a Harley? Or something "close" for less? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Related NON-TECHNICAL Discussion > General Harley Talk
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

tbird71 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buy a Harley? Or something "close" for less?

I've pretty much owned them all. Harleys, Yams, Hondas, Victory.

I live in FL in the winter, and back in 15 rode a new FLHTP out of the showroom so FL is covered.

I like the look of the heritages, but that damn solo shock sucks. At least on the older ones. Stupid Glides are nice, but no good to me at least on the hi mile days, same as 1200 Sportys. I love my 103 EG Police, and have no plans to sell it, but what I eventually realized is I'm a Road king guy. Works for all situations and fits me good.

I'm in IL in the summer and in summers past I ALWAYS had a Harley of some sort there up to last year when I sold my Road King. I have a Roadliner 113 and told myself "You'll never get nothing for this bike, keep it and sell the Harley". Wrong move.

Not that the 113 is a BAD bike, it does everything the way it's supposed to, has gobs of torque, and with my RUSH slip on, even sounds pretty good. Just somethin missin. So it's find a good 09 up Road King time. The Yam will never be worth much, I'll lose 50% if I sell, so i'll probably just keep it.

Why is it that nothin but a Harley will do us? I'm not really sure all I know is nothin else will work. Least not for me anyway.
96 Royal Star
97 KZ1000P
79 LTD 1000
06 Stratoliner
84 GL1200
tbird71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

buffaloguy is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I have owned American, Japanese, Czesholovakian, and English motorcycles, but I only loved my Harley Davidsons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
buffaloguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
The older Heritages' have two shocks underneath just in front of the rear wheel that suck not just one that sucks. The oem leave a lot to be desired. The po who had my bike changed them. I don't know to what. Yep I love my bike and can't wait to buy a Road King.

Don't get me wrong I have owned all the metrics too. I really liked my 84 Wing and when the 1800 came out I almost bought one, but I always wanted a Harley.

So I bought a Suzuki cruiser to see if I liked this style of riding. I did and now have a Heritage. I might keep it, but yearn for a King. Whats a poser to do?
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh my Heritage was good lookin and all (pic is my avitar) yeah one shock two shocks whatever we were always bottoming out and I'd compare it with the fat boy on crusin. But they can't compare with the King.
Sounds like you will eventually do what I'm gonna do. Get another (for me) King
96 Royal Star
97 KZ1000P
79 LTD 1000
06 Stratoliner
84 GL1200

Last edited by tbird71; 07-05-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is still riding a stock bike smitty901 is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird71 View Post
Why is it that nothin but a Harley will do us? I'm not really sure all I know is nothin else will work. Least not for me anyway.
Because of the ride , the feel. Wife and I switch with some friends that own a Goldwing they rode our RGU. Wife said privately nice but boring. The Next year we bought a new RGU. So did they.
Harley is just that much more fun.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here's one good reason to choose Harley:

I bought this 2006 S leftover in 2009 brand new

My Bike: 2006 Roadliner S
MSRP in 2006: $15,785.00

Extras: (ALL added by me)

Chrome Metal Fender Tip Rear Fender

$80

Mini Tank Cover..Bag

$50

Billet Passenger Floorboards

$216

Saddlebag "Bullet" Guards

$200

Medium Windshield

$360

Quick Release Passenger Backrest

$289

CA.com Solo Seat

$350

Custom Leather Backrest Pad

$100

Hard Leather Saddlebags

$1,200

Passenger Floorboard Mounts

$83

Quick Release Windshield Mounts

$156

Hard Saddlebags Mounting Hardware

$200

Charcoal / Bronze Paint (extra on S package)

$200

Batwing Fairing (Reckless)..........................$379.00
OEM HD Windshield (used)..........................$69.00
Speakers, Radio, 200 Watt Amp etc.............$420.00
RUSH Slip on 3" Pipe..................................$190.00

Trade In Value: (BIG Ouch!)

2006 Yamaha Roadliner S

Trade-In Value

Good Condition $3,315

96 Royal Star
97 KZ1000P
79 LTD 1000
06 Stratoliner
84 GL1200

Last edited by tbird71; 07-05-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is still riding a stock bike smitty901 is still riding a stock bike
I don't buy a bike as an investment. I buy it to ride. If it is worthless by the time I am done with it , so what.
However compare my 1996 Fatboy to Honda's attempt at a copy the shadow.
I have had people approach me trying to buy my 1996 FB even now have been offer 5-6,000 for it. Not for sale now or ever. You could not get $900 of a Shadow with almost no miles on on it.
Still a nice ride at 21 years old. And yes this bike is ridden. Not much different than the day it was delivered. And dam does it sound good.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VLjSe7]
Old 07-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Laughing Poseur

cwilks is still riding a stock bike cwilks is still riding a stock bike
first off...."trade in" value is never a realistic reflection of the true value of a motorcycle.

secondly...that's a nice lookin Roadliner....I would ride that.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
In disguise

FXR2 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I'd buy whatever suits your purposes for the best price. Lots of good bikes out there. Truth is, if HD had not made the FXR, I probably would not have a Harley.

You nonconformists are all alike.
April 2016 ROTM Winner.
Member-Evil Faction of the Triangled Frame.
Free Range Intellect
FXR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2018, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilks View Post
first off...."trade in" value is never a realistic reflection of the true value of a motorcycle.

secondly...that's a nice lookin Roadliner....I would ride that.
Thanks, that's exactly what I intend to do.

I'm thinkin now If I DO buy a RK it's gonna be an older one I can get for a good price (there's plenty of em out there) and enjopy it too without breaking the bank.
96 Royal Star
97 KZ1000P
79 LTD 1000
06 Stratoliner
84 GL1200
Old 07-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Malx wants to know Dino or Syn?
Before I bought my 08 Heritage I was looking for a RK but couldn't find any that I found to my standard. I came across the 08 Heritage that was pristine. Price was more than reasonable and I decided to buy it. It rides and handles much better than my 98 Heritage. Quite happy even though it's not a touring bike.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bottomend wants to know Dino or Syn?
Buy used...
bottomend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike FXDRYDR is still riding a stock bike
I'd pop for a good-looking, used Roadliner for $3,315 and ride it 'til the wheels fell off.
Black, chrome & loud.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malx View Post
Before I bought my 08 Heritage I was looking for a RK but couldn't find any that I found to my standard. I came across the 08 Heritage that was pristine. Price was more than reasonable and I decided to buy it. It rides and handles much better than my 98 Heritage. Quite happy even though it's not a touring bike.
See that is what I am thinking. My Heritage is a fun machine and I enjoy every ride. I probably won't tour anymore unless my wife dies within a couple more years. It looks like she would cooperate.

Mostly I tool around 2 or 3 counties so what do I need with a RK other than I want one. Maybe I should be happy with what I have.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
If I was in the market for a new scooter, the MoCo dealer is prolly my third stop. I'm going to put a Wing and a Continental under my ass first. See just what I'm giving up to stay with Harley.

The M8's I've ridden have not impressed me. Better than the 103's yes. As good as the competition, no, not even close. Peeps out there raving about the 107 power must have a limited experience with powerful scooters. While it does have a strong low end, it's just not all that when its wound up. And the suspensions still need work. The big motors are better, but who in their right mind would pay $40K for a production motorcycle?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in