Ultima engine cases - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is still riding a stock bike smitty901 is still riding a stock bike
EVO with a little cleaning up in the heads a reasonable cam exhaust, AC and tune is a darn good running almost bullet proof engine. Start jacking with it more than that it could be a time bomb. There are some out there that built Big EVO's . The Shark is one they kicked ass even would today and held up. But those deep pockets were empty when done.
1996 Fb Engine stock still going strong engine never touched.
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Mattbastard wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by troqed View Post
Matt
i don't think anyone needs to PM you-
You are allowed to agree/disagree with other thoughts on here.
You might have a good one.
Or I might disagree with it .
No matter.
It would great if you just say whatever is on your mind.
It is all a learning curve.
We all have different experiances to draw from.
As for me, so far I have run with a passion from the Twinks!
It seems the net is overwhelmed with out of phase wheels, cam chest that is good for about 30K.
As I always say "no matter what HD you choose they all come with congenital defects and it is a matter of what you are familiar with and what you want to fix.
The M8 has already had a ration of problems.
My favorite engine case would be a Delkron 4 cam Big twin .
Albeit I have never owned one it would seem to be the best of all worlds.
They are just not available anymore.
Having fully rebuilt both engines, while also not being a professional engine builder but I am a mechanical engineer, the following is exclusively my opinion. I believe the TC is a better overall engine design for the following reasons (in no particular order):

The oil pump is on the inside of the engine
The breather system is actually filtered before it leaves the engine
The cylinder base gaskets aren't gaskets at all but o-rings
The engine actually comes with piston cooling oil jets
The pushrod angles are in better alignment with the rockers
The aluminum casting of is more porous and more prone to cracking and failure on OEM Evo castings
There is more integrity in the mating surface between the engine and transmission
The ignition system is self-contained (no timing cup to adjust)

That's all I can think of right now. Granted there are a couple of small pros with the Evo, but they pale in comparison to the faults.

Just keep in mind, the Evo is based heavily on the Shovel, which was originally designed in the 60's. The TC is new from the ground up (even though a LOT of Evo stuff bolts right onto it).
Mattbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

ArcAngel wants to know Dino or Syn?
Agreed the harley evo cases in particular were a rough break. I know whent through the whole cylinder stud nightmare myself. I think what was said is accurate even though I'm a big fan of the evo the S&S evo cases bring another aspect. I cannot attest with any experience with a twin cam. Was always told if your building an up top screamer than the evo has an edge. Opinion olny with no real world experience. Honestly you couldn't give me stock evo cases after what I went through. But again if left low power both motors work

Last edited by ArcAngel; 06-12-2019 at 02:25 PM.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
FNG :)

Snake5550 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been riding for 59 years and always love tinkering changing front ends etc. I just recently decided to make my 01 fxst chopper with 3 over tubes harder to ride so I built my on parts for sucide clutch/ jockey shifter. But I just have never been clear as to why people want bigger engine's. I did own a Big dog Ridge back 117 cubic power plant. It was fun just for me it was unnecessary. Plus my most portant reason is money and skill. Not saying anything against big engine's I just never had the need. Oh by the way thanks for the great forum. Snake out
Snake5550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

troqed wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake5550 View Post
I've been riding for 59 years and always love tinkering changing front ends etc. I just recently decided to make my 01 fxst chopper with 3 over tubes harder to ride so I built my on parts for sucide clutch/ jockey shifter. But I just have never been clear as to why people want bigger engine's. I did own a Big dog Ridge back 117 cubic power plant. It was fun just for me it was unnecessary. Plus my most portant reason is money and skill. Not saying anything against big engine's I just never had the need. Oh by the way thanks for the great forum. Snake out
The look from the guy on his 30K$$$ plus bike as you pass him going up 4th O July is worth every penny!
He now has to question everything.
EGO.....I like to pass people.
I will admit I have the disease.
troqed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in