Premium required? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2019, 02:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

journeymanjohn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Premium required?

Recently purchased a 1993 FXRS, from a dealer.

In the saddlebag was a list of upgrades (none of which indicated a high compression motor).

On the list was instructions to use premium gas.

I thought the Evo was designed to use as low as 87 octane, and would prefer to use 87 myself, as I understand the higher octane has more ethanol and harder on the carburetor

Should I be OK trying a tank of the lower octane?

What's the best way to determine if it REALLY requires premium, or if it was just the previous owners preference?

Would the ignition module have anything to do with his encouragement to run premium

Changing to lower octane shouldn't affect carb jetting should it and tuning? that is unless it's actually high compression, right?
journeymanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2019, 02:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

JayFL726 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Personally 87 should work on a Stock EVO but if Ethanol Free is available think would shoot for that.. My 05 has Stock Compression although does have TW21 Cams but runs fine on 89 Ethanol Free , My Carb does not like Ethanol even though the Manual says can run 10% on mine .. I did get stuck almost out of gas and my only choice was 87 10% and never pinged but didn't run as well as it does on Ethanol Free ..
Old 05-12-2019, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I appreciate the input. I am not stock either. I am 'told' it has an EV13 cam (on the same sheet of paper that recommends premium), which I understand to be a low compression cam. Hence, a little conflict is created when telling me to run high compression fuel.

Maybe I am just not asking my question clearly though.... so, let me try in a some different ways.

How does the ignition module/settings figure into the choice of octane? Or does it at all?

If I put lower octane fuel in her, and she starts acting up (pinging), does that definitively indicate a high compression motor, or could it be something else... such as the aftermarket ignition module?

I don't understand why I would be advised to run high octane on written list of upgrades from the previous owner, unless he either had a high compression motor, didn't understand the purpose of 'octane', or had experienced pinging/detonation that may have been caused by some other issue (spark advance / ignition module settings, maybe?) I'm not a mechanic, and have only a very fundamental understanding of the subject we are now discussing.

What is the safest way for me to check if I'm OK to run 87? Start with a full tank of premium, and dilute it every … say 40 miles, until I'm running straight 87? Reversing the process if I develop issues?

Last edited by journeymanjohn; 05-12-2019 at 02:48 AM.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

JayFL726 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What is the safest way for me to check if I'm OK to run 87? Start with a full tank of premium, and dilute it every … say 40 miles, until I'm running straight 87? Reversing the process if I develop issues?

Sounds like a far better plan than mine where had to use 87 with a near empty tank ..
Old 05-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanjohn View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the input. I am not stock either. I am 'told' it has an EV13 cam (on the same sheet of paper that recommends premium), which I understand to be a low compression cam. Hence, a little conflict is created when telling me to run high compression fuel.

Maybe I am just not asking my question clearly though.... so, let me try in a some different ways.

How does the ignition module/settings figure into the choice of octane? Or does it at all?

If I put lower octane fuel in her, and she starts acting up (pinging), does that definitively indicate a high compression motor, or could it be something else... such as the aftermarket ignition module?

I don't understand why I would be advised to run high octane on written list of upgrades from the previous owner, unless he either had a high compression motor, didn't understand the purpose of 'octane', or had experienced pinging/detonation that may have been caused by some other issue (spark advance / ignition module settings, maybe?) I'm not a mechanic, and have only a very fundamental understanding of the subject we are now discussing.

What is the safest way for me to check if I'm OK to run 87? Start with a full tank of premium, and dilute it every say 40 miles, until I'm running straight 87? Reversing the process if I develop issues?
Wow! This thing is obviously eating you up.

Run a tank of 87. If you get pinging, it probably means the PO has the timing too far advanced, trying to "improve performance".

Also, I'm pretty sure that 90% or more of the people who will tell you about octane have no clue what they are talking about. It isn't rocket science. Most folks seem to think the laws of physics do not apply to them or their machinery.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

smitty901 is still riding a stock bike smitty901 is still riding a stock bike
The EVO did use 87. But when you jack the compression up generally 10 to 1 or more 91 is required. Other wise the faster burning 87 will fire under compression before the spark.
Modern times engines don't have to be jacked up that much to make them run. But it is cheap power.
No advancing the spark or retarding it will not make it go away. It can help some but is not a cure.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
Wow! This thing is obviously eating you up.

Run a tank of 87. If you get pinging, it probably means the PO has the timing too far advanced, trying to "improve performance".

Also, I'm pretty sure that 90% or more of the people who will tell you about octane have no clue what they are talking about. It isn't rocket science. Most folks seem to think the laws of physics do not apply to them or their machinery.
Yep, it has been.

But then again, you just answered another question all others have ignored... and I had to be persistent to get a response. That is... "IF" I get pinging on lower octane, it does NOT necessarily mean it is a high compression motor, but could also be an ignition module/timing issue.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Stock evos run on 87. 24/7/365

But if you do as little as bump the timing up, they need 91.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
Stock evos run on 87. 24/7/365

But if you do as little as bump the timing up, they need 91.
Thanks.

Any simple way I can check this before I start weaning her off the premium?

It's a Dyna2000 ignition module & single fire coils. Possibly as simple as checking some settings or switches or something?

FYI, we are definitely beyond my pay grade, as far as adjusting the timing. Have no clue as to if it is something that would have needed to be done with the EV13 or those coils, or whatever jets installed, etc.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
With that ign module, you'll just have to see what happens.

Try a tank of mid grade gas and see if it pings hot. If its good with that, then try the regular.

Do make sure that it still have the VOES installed.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

lpennock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your actually more likely to ping with the VOES than without as long as you don't ground the voes line. Grounded puts the module in advanced curve which gives full advance by 1800 rpm.

Dyna 2000 has 4 curves. With curve 1 having same total advance as stock but I think a slightly earlier curve if I remember correctly. Curve 4 is less total advance for high compression motors. Look at the curve you're running and if you get pinging try 1 curve higher.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is still riding a stock bike tall terry is still riding a stock bike
fill it with 89,,, go for a ride,, see if it pings when starting and while cruising add a light throttle and listen for rattle...
dont make a science project out of this,, it's as simple as 3 fill ups and some riding,,,, some guys use 93 in bones stock bikes
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpennock View Post
Your actually more likely to ping with the VOES than without as long as you don't ground the voes line. Grounded puts the module in advanced curve which gives full advance by 1800 rpm.

Dyna 2000 has 4 curves. With curve 1 having same total advance as stock but I think a slightly earlier curve if I remember correctly. Curve 4 is less total advance for high compression motors. Look at the curve you're running and if you get pinging try 1 curve higher.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
You'll have to explain that to me. How does a device that retards the spark under load make it more apt to ping?

As for playing with curves, based on his first post, I doubt he's ready for that or for setting the timing off of the flywheel.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Kickman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I my degree wheel!
Kickman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

nmaineron wants to know Dino or Syn?
I came up through the ranks with "run the highest octane you can get"mantra. I have been running Hi-Test in everything Harley for 40 years. I can't make myself run 87,can't do it! We have 10% ethanol in all grades and the highest available is 93 and many only have 91.
nmaineron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in