Premium required? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Evolution Engine
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

pb68slab wants to know Dino or Syn?
Meh , over what , $2 savings per 5gal tankful?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

lonslo is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaineron View Post
I came up through the ranks with "run the highest octane you can get"mantra. I have been running Hi-Test in everything Harley for 40 years. I can't make myself run 87,can't do it! We have 10% ethanol in all grades and the highest available is 93 and many only have 91.
I came up through that same period. We were told wrong. I attended a training session about fuel for Harleys a while back. Was taught that if the motorcycle was stock and did not ping it was ok, even better for fuel economy and power, to run lower octane fuel. Octane simply raised the ignition point of fuel, preventing preignition . The lower the octane the easier the gas releases energy providing more power and fuel mileage . In my case my mileage with reg gas is about 40mpg and with premium about 38. In the heat of the summer I do run mid or premium more if it is available.
lonslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this? jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonslo View Post
I came up through that same period. We were told wrong. I attended a training session about fuel for Harleys a while back. Was taught that if the motorcycle was stock and did not ping it was ok, even better for fuel economy and power, to run lower octane fuel. Octane simply raised the ignition point of fuel, preventing preignition . The lower the octane the easier the gas releases energy providing more power and fuel mileage . In my case my mileage with reg gas is about 40mpg and with premium about 38. In the heat of the summer I do run mid or premium more if it is available.
I think heat has a lot to do with it. My EVO will run on regular all the time. The 88 likes mid or premium when it gets hot. Both of them are carberated. The 96, injected with PC, pretty much likes premium all the time, and gets the worst mileage of all.
GNee's 88, carbed and built to 95, uses nothing but premium, gets the best mileage of any.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaineron View Post
I came up through the ranks with "run the highest octane you can get"mantra. I have been running Hi-Test in everything Harley for 40 years. I can't make myself run 87,can't do it! We have 10% ethanol in all grades and the highest available is 93 and many only have 91.
High test dosen't have ethanol. Ethanol boosts the octane level and can't be in high test. Be sure to frequent stations that sell a lot of premium as the octane degrades over time.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this? jammer45u is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainhook455 View Post
High test dosen't have ethanol. Ethanol boosts the octane level and can't be in high test. Be sure to frequent stations that sell a lot of premium as the octane degrades over time.

tarheel
https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...-ethanol-in-it

Not here. Or there.
jammer45u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

lpennock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodyne View Post
You'll have to explain that to me. How does a device that retards the spark under load make it more apt to ping?

As for playing with curves, based on his first post, I doubt he's ready for that or for setting the timing off of the flywheel.
Depending on the vacuum the voes is set to open it may not retard in time. Baggers use higher vacuum level to retard than lighter bikes like fxr and sporty.

Wither the Dyna 2k you have 4 curves without touching mechanical position. Just change dip switches.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 AM   #22 (permalink)
not sober all the time

Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this? Uncle Salty is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:

tarheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer45u View Post
Most stations around here have ethanol poison in all grades of gasoline. Fortunately there's a station close by that sells No-E premium and another that sell No-E regular.
Uncle Salty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Make me use my bullet?

<G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club <G Man> joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:

tarheel
I don't understand your comment. I can get corn free 93 octane locally but most 93 I see around has up to 10% ethanol.

I live in NC but not all states are the same regarding gas laws.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.

The biggest problem with social media is that it has caused so many people to falsely believe that someone gives a sht about their stupid-assed opinions.
<G Man> is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

tall terry is still riding a stock bike tall terry is still riding a stock bike
how can a person ascertain which fuel stations sell alot of premium?
tall terry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

captainhook455 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall terry View Post
how can a person ascertain which fuel stations sell alot of premium?
It is not so much selling a lot of premium as it is how much business they have. The percentage of the public buying premium vs the 87 people will naturally rise in a prosperous station. More premium sold means faster tanker refills keeping the octane high.

Back when the feds made all the stations pump unleaded it was never shown that Phillips 66 always had unleaded fuel. My father called it white gas and used it to fuel his Coleman lanterns and stove.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Motorhead

Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club Thermodyne joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpennock View Post
Depending on the vacuum the voes is set to open it may not retard in time. Baggers use higher vacuum level to retard than lighter bikes like fxr and sporty.

Wither the Dyna 2k you have 4 curves without touching mechanical position. Just change dip switches.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Bullshit.

You roll the throttle on a vtwin and the vacuum drops under 5 before the accelerator pump spray hits the intake
Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club Homesick joined the Live to Ride club
Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
... Most folks seem to think the laws of physics do not apply to them or their machinery.
This.

And Harley owners seem especially susceptible.

joe
Free Range Intellect
Inventor of the FXR Cult Secret Decoder Ring
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Missing Link Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Oct '14 RotM
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in