V-Twin Forum banner

Just put Lucas in the tranny...

13K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Chickenman 
#1 ·
I know let him out...:blink: ...seriously I was offered a tranny change for 15 bucks which was about due at Myrtle Bch...so I'd figured I try the Lucas 75-90 Synthetic in the tranny...quiet and smooth compared to all the others I've tried. (Mobile 1 Syn, Syn 3, Harley tranny lube, and Amsoil...I'm sold on Amsoil for the motor/primary but Lucas goes in the tranny!

#3 ·
TXCHOP said:
I was just thinking of doing that as well..I have wholesale acces to lucas and always wanted to try. How many miles has it been in? Oh which amsoil you use in primary?
Just put a hot 450 on the tranny coming back from Myrtle Beach...still like the way it shifts...Steve at GMR suggested the standard Amsoil synthetic 20-50W in the primary...said in all their trials it causes less slip...

#5 ·
HD-LUX said:
I wish I had a chance to try the Lucas booth while I was there. I just did another change of RedLine Heavy Shock Proof in my tranny (the Pepto Bismal stuff) and am liking it a lot. Might never leave it.
I'm gonna have to test that stuff out too...don't wanna be close-minded

#6 ·
HD-LUX said:
I wish I had a chance to try the Lucas booth while I was there. I just did another change of RedLine Heavy Shock Proof in my tranny (the Pepto Bismal stuff) and am liking it a lot. Might never leave it.
This is what I have used for about 20,000 or so. Pretty amazing stuff.

#7 ·
HD-LUX said:
Hey Chris...where do you buy that stuff around here????

#8 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
I know let him out...:blink: ...seriously I was offered a tranny change for 15 bucks which was about due at Myrtle Bch...so I'd figured I try the Lucas 75-90 Synthetic in the tranny...quiet and smooth compared to all the others I've tried. (Mobile 1 Syn, Syn 3, Harley tranny lube, and Amsoil...I'm sold on Amsoil for the motor/primary but Lucas goes in the tranny!
You might think twice about using lucas in your tranny if it has tackifier agents in it. What a person gets in actual use from tackifiers is nothing once the temperature of the fluid runs over 200 degrees, as the agents are ruined and depleted. Beware of products that gimmicks are needed to sell the product. What I am referencing here is the gear display at your parts counter that shows fluids climbing gears. In differentials this climbing affect actually robs oil to carrier bearings and axle bearings and can cost fuel mileage. Many OEM's recommend and factory fill differentials a half inch below the filler plug so the lubricant is not causing drag on the gears and they can get a little better fuel economy.

#9 ·
george douglas said:
You might think twice about using lucas in your tranny if it has tackifier agents in it. What a person gets in actual use from tackifiers is nothing once the temperature of the fluid runs over 200 degrees, as the agents are ruined and depleted. Beware of products that gimmicks are needed to sell the product. What I am referencing here is the gear display at your parts counter that shows fluids climbing gears. In differentials this climbing affect actually robs oil to carrier bearings and axle bearings and can cost fuel mileage. Many OEM's recommend and factory fill differentials a half inch below the filler plug so the lubricant is not causing drag on the gears and they can get a little better fuel economy.
Didn't see any display...it was time to change and I figured it was worth a shot at the promo price...I'm trying RedLine Heavy Shock Proof next time...just my informal testing...I liked the smooth "snick" instead of the "clunk" as I had before with Amsoil...but I now have about 3500 on the oil and it's getting a little noisy. I keep my primary adjusted so I suspect the life of this lube isn't as advertised. I'm gonna keep Amsoil in the engine, seems to run a good bit cooler but I gonna try the straight weight to see if it'll help quiet things down a bit. I was also told that Amsoil is the best choice for the primary from a source I trust so I'm sticking with it there too...

#11 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
Hey Chris...where do you buy that stuff around here????
Wyoming turned me on to O.G. Racing in Sterling.

http://www.ogracing.com/contact.asp

You can order it by the case Right off the web too and have it delivered. They are about 10 minutes from my house near AOL HQ off Waxpool Road. Just off 606 and 28.

Maybe next time yer headed out this way in the turbo monster truck I can talk you into hauling out my camping gear and I'll take you by the O.G. showroom to grab a few quarts?

#12 ·
c'mon now

HD-LUX said:

You can order it by the case Right off the web too and have it delivered. They are about 10 minutes from my house near AOL HQ off Waxpool Road. Just off 606 and 28.

Maybe next time yer headed out this way in the turbo monster truck I can talk you into hauling out my camping gear and I'll take you by the O.G. showroom to grab a few quarts?
this is gettin' a little anal,it's a transmission,just put in any good gear oil and go. i use a 75-90 synthetic and change it every spring,about every 5-6k.did the same to my '82fxr-never had any tranny problems,in 15 years, almost 90k. and that was dino.

#13 ·
HD-LUX said:

We may have to take the Dodge TMT (turbo monster truck) up to Pa for the "works" if we wanna keep 'em dry...lemmie me know if that sounds more feasable later after looking at the weather...

#14 ·
FatBobRob said:
this is gettin' a little anal,it's a transmission, (yeah...and it's my transmission) just put in any good gear oil and go. i use a 75-90 synthetic and change it every spring,about every 5-6k.did the same to my '82fxr-never had any tranny problems,in 15 years, almost 90k. and that was dino.
Once a gearhead always a gearhead...we're aways trying out something new/better...not that in the long run it'll give our bikes more longevity (it possibly may) but fussing with all this crap is a learning process and helps to keep our minds occupied and hopefully out of trouble...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.