V-Twin Forum banner

How Much Oil

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ed Y 
#1 ·
When I did my 1K service the receipt said 5 qts of oil. Saturday I did the 2500 mile oil and filter change but the receipt said 4qts of oil. I am confussed. I ride a 2004 Wide Glide and both times I have used the synthetic Oil. Please Advise Mike

#3 ·
They Told Me At The 1k Service That They Were Putting Synthentic Is All Of The Above Mentioned Places. But Why Is When I Did Just The Oil Change It Was One Less Qt Of Oil. Every 2500 Miles Do You Not Change All The Oils. Mike

#4 ·
TNHARLEY said:
When I did my 1K service the receipt said 5 qts of oil. Saturday I did the 2500 mile oil and filter change but the receipt said 4qts of oil. I am confussed. I ride a 2004 Wide Glide and both times I have used the synthetic Oil. Please Advise Mike
Motor - up to 3.5 qts.
Primary - 26 oz
Tranny - 20-24 oz
Looks pretty much like 5 qts.
If all they did was the engine oil on the second service they boned you for
a half quart or less.
Most people I know change all 3 oils at the same time. The interval is
a whole different thread.

#5 · (Edited)
nvsteve said:
Motor - up to 3.5 qts.
Primary - 26 oz
Tranny - 20-24 oz
QUOTE]

I believe that dyna oil tanks are 3.0 - dry capacity, 2.5 - wet capacity (this is the figure you want when doing an oil change), unless it's changed from 02 to 04.

I've seen some shops "round up" on the amount of oil. Irritating, but not enough to lose sleep over. Since you're doing this yourself, you won't need to deal with that anymore, anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.