My standard answer - Page 5 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #61 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

plumbertom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Only thing I can contribute, and I won't guess at it's value, is that when I took my FXD into my local dealer for it's 500 mile mile oil change they put S.E syn. in all three holes.
I Had the 5K service done at an independent shop that specializes in big twins, for about 1/2 the labor charge from H-D, and they used Drag Specialties 4 syn in crankcase, Revtech primary lube and Revtech trans lube in the other apps.
I see no reason why I shouldn't run 20W50 in everything with the Amsoil I'm now buying from George.

'09 FXD SuperGlide
SE St.1 A/C
Silver Bullet slip ons
Thundermax Autotune
Progressive Shocks
Sputhe Chassis Stabilizers
FXDB handle bars.
2'' tank lift
plumbertom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #62 (permalink)
Premium Member

rel3rd wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but by "all 3 holes" are you all referring to Engine, Primary, and Transmission?

And is this a blanket recommendation for all years?

Mine is a 97 Evo powered Softail for what it's worth. Since it has 23,000 miles, and I recently bought it, I'd like to treat it to a nice re-lube, lol...

R.I.P. MOM ~ 12.16.2011
rel3rd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #63 (permalink)
FNG :)

crazyfrog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgedouglas View Post
If it hasn't lowered your temperatures by now it isn't going to. You may have a fueling condition that no matter who's oil you are using won't drop the oil temperature. With that said I feel that Amsoil will help and as far as red line goes I don't have any personal experience with it to make a comment on it's cooling ability. Generally though any true synthetic should drop temperatures under high heat loads.
If I just did my oil and fiter with HD Oil, is it to late to drain and poor amzoil in?
crazyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #64 (permalink)

crazyfrog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I have heard all kinds of opinions and myths over the last 25 years that I have used Amsoil synthetic oils in all my bikes. If Amsoil or synthetics in general had a real down side to using them I haven't found it yet. This mechanic is getting close to joining the rest of the technical community by at least recommending it for the motor, but still has a ways to go. As far as leaks go, HD has had leak problems from day one and if the gaskets and flange tolerances are in spec it doesn't matter what base of oil you use. If you decide you want me to get some Amsoil for you let me know, as I have a real cheap method of getting oil to you if you are in honolulu.
George, could you get me some Amzoil? I live just east of Toronto.
I am not sure what Amzoil is selling at in these parts, I will look for it this week, but if I can save a buck or two getting it threw you that would be great. After reading all the threads it looks like Amzoil wins. Now I am still not sure about putting it in all three holes, I need to look into that one a bit further. At the end I just want the best for my Bike. Thanks
crazyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #65 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrog View Post
George, could you get me some Amzoil? I live just east of Toronto.
I am not sure what Amzoil is selling at in these parts, I will look for it this week, but if I can save a buck or two getting it threw you that would be great. After reading all the threads it looks like Amzoil wins. Now I am still not sure about putting it in all three holes, I need to look into that one a bit further. At the end I just want the best for my Bike. Thanks
Give me a call and I can arrange for you to get dealer prices from the Amsoil warehouse near you. 1-800-887-6698 In my opinion the best all around combination for your bike is to use the 20w 50 in the engine, our 10w 30 in the primary and any of our gearlubes in the tranny. A lot of bikers seem to like our 75w 110 in their tranny's. This combination is the best overkill and maximum performance and protection. Our 20w 50 in all 3 holes will give you great protection though if one wants to keep things simple.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #66 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrog View Post
If I just did my oil and fiter with HD Oil, is it to late to drain and poor amzoil in?
Never too late, as people bounce back and forth with different brands and combinations.
george
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #67 (permalink)

Rondo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just put Redline heavy shockproof in my tranny and I like the way it shifts....
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #68 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this? Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Damn oil cooler should be standard...oh it is on the 103s hmmmm wonder why?
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #69 (permalink)

Medicfl1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Angry Oil coolers & Fans oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram_b4 View Post
Damn oil cooler should be standard...oh it is on the 103s hmmmm wonder why?
In the eternal search for the answer as to what will possibly stop my crotch from roasting on a Harley...

I can only add that I have an oil cooler ($250), Parade Fan($400 mounted), Fairing wings ($75) and crotch deflectors ($75 K&N) and still roast while stuck in bike week traffic.

Won't even discuss Sturgis in August !!!!

Have not found the answer yet and God knows I've tried....

"Like a Dog with a Bone, A Man on his Bike" RRJ
Medicfl1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #70 (permalink)
IronButt

Rollmeaway wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csoday View Post
By doing this now, I will greatly reduce my post count and hopefully free up masive amounts of bandwidth. I give you :

Use any good oil or SYN, change at regular intervals, use the stock (or premium) filter, stock oil pump, and an oil cooler if you live south of the Mason Dixon.
And, YES Syn 3 (if that’s your choice) works great in all 3 holes

This is my standard answer to any and all oil threads
Never mind all the slippery oil talk I kinda like that antimated Reb Flag a flyin' ... everyone has their take on whats best & what works for them so when ya find one that pleases ya ..... hang onto it.

Castrol 20w50 has a track record like it or not
And we rolled...... clean out of sight

Dare...

2000 FXST - Carbed
Rollmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #71 (permalink)

LOSTKAUS wants to know Dino or Syn?
My Standard Answer

Ok can anyone tell me if Zmax is ok to use in a motor . I use it in my truck and don't remember if it is ok in a all aluminum block . If anyone uses it or is it a no no . Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
LOSTKAUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #72 (permalink)

gsatire wants to know Dino or Syn?
Shell rotella 15w40 been using it since 74 no probs.got it in a 10 Sg .look in your manual it's recommended if you need oil
gsatire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #73 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsatire View Post
Shell rotella 15w40 been using it since 74 no probs.got it in a 10 Sg .look in your manual it's recommended if you need oil
I believe the manual also says to use it only for top off and to change it at the earliest convenience back to the HD brand. HD works very hard to keep you in their camp.
george
Old 10-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #74 (permalink)
Banned

Lefty is still riding a stock bike Lefty is still riding a stock bike Lefty is still riding a stock bike
Quote:
I believe the manual also says to use it only for top off and to change it at the earliest convenience back to the HD brand. HD works very hard to keep you in their camp.
george
Just as you work hard to keep us in the Amsoil camp, George.

Beyond the OP's post, all else are preference and marketing.

Last edited by Lefty; 10-11-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in