My standard answer - Page 4 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 AM   #46 (permalink)
Free agent

chrt396 wants to know Dino or Syn?
See what ya started????
chrt396 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyf150
While Amsoil is just another oil it is very much overated, and I would not put it in my $5 garage sale lawnmower, $20k bike or a $40k p/u or $80k heavy truck.

I guess I can take you off my Christmas list for that free case of Amsoil.
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2006, 06:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
IronButt

Ned69 wants to know Dino or Syn?
All this talk about lowering your oil temps....I'd be happy just to get my oil warm. I've even considered how I could block the flow of air, just so the bike would heat up.

My riding is getting curtailed because the oil never has a chance to reach operating temps before I get to work - it's only a ten minute ride, and the temp outside has been averaging 25 to 50 deg. I know synthetic is good for the hot weather, but what about running in cold weather when the oil never has a chance to reach operating temps??

I noticed a huge difference after the bike was dyno'd...ran much cooler. I have noticed the oil is dirty after only 3,500 miles. The oil is AMSOIL, which will go back in when it gets changed.

I think the dirty oil is due to fueling as a result of the dyno mapping.

Oil too hot?? I think not!

(ps: George, do you still have my address - I'd hate to miss out on a freebie )
Ned69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #49 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned69
All this talk about lowering your oil temps....I'd be happy just to get my oil warm. I've even considered how I could block the flow of air, just so the bike would heat up.

My riding is getting curtailed because the oil never has a chance to reach operating temps before I get to work - it's only a ten minute ride, and the temp outside has been averaging 25 to 50 deg. I know synthetic is good for the hot weather, but what about running in cold weather when the oil never has a chance to reach operating temps??

I noticed a huge difference after the bike was dyno'd...ran much cooler. I have noticed the oil is dirty after only 3,500 miles. The oil is AMSOIL, which will go back in when it gets changed.

I think the dirty oil is due to fueling as a result of the dyno mapping.

Oil too hot?? I think not!

(ps: George, do you still have my address - I'd hate to miss out on a freebie )
I have your number. As far as synthetics go they shine in both spectrums of the temperature range, hot and cold. Since your oil temp is not elevating very high you would be better off using the 10w 40 synthetic during the winter months and not to worry about the oil temp. You will be getting great protection and since the oil does not get a chance to warm up and evaporate off some of the condensation then let the oils anti-rust inhibitors do their job to protect against potential rust and corosion.
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #50 (permalink)
I was 43, 15 years ago!!

kfengler wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool

My experience was that for the first ~500 miles the engine seemed to run hot 240* - 245* (compared to the EVO I had 190* - 195* Regular Oil - REV-TECH) but after it was broken it my FLHT was running about 20* cooler. During the trip to Sturgis the temps were in the 215* - 225* range. That was with Syn3 in all 3 holes.

Since then I've switched to Bel-Ray Big Twin oil in the transmission. Seems to help smooth out the shifting on my bike!

I've also modded the bike some since and haven't had a chance to break in the custom (not at the dealer) 95" conversion, since weather sucks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien
But Chuck, how about them cam chains LOL
Chains? ...we don't need no stinkin' Chains!
* Rinehart True Dual Exhaust * Doherty Air Cleaner * Ported Heads *
* Adjustable Pushrods * 9.6:1 CR * etc.

Previous rides…96 FXDWG * 94 XL1200 * 83 Virago * 80 Virago
Bike pics ** CHECK OUT MY WEBSHOT ALBUMS...

kfengler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 08:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
FNG :)

geo361 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can you use Amsoil in all three holes?
geo361 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #52 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo361
Yes you can use the 20w 50 in all three holes.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #53 (permalink)
Livin' A Dream

Mossman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by george douglas
Yes you can use the 20w 50 in all three holes.
George, I live in Hawaii, I don't have to tell you what the weather is like. I have a 06 RKC and will need 1K service soon. Several guys I ride with use it in all 3. One of the mechanics on the island recommended a SYN in the engine only and not in the primary & secondary. He said he had seen leaks from the primary & secondary after switching to SYN. Ever heard of this?

06 Road King Classic
Vance & Hines Trundowns
Stage 1 and SE Air intake
"Love this Hawaiian sunshine"
Mossman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #54 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossman

George, I live in Hawaii, I don't have to tell you what the weather is like. I have a 06 RKC and will need 1K service soon. Several guys I ride with use it in all 3. One of the mechanics on the island recommended a SYN in the engine only and not in the primary & secondary. He said he had seen leaks from the primary & secondary after switching to SYN. Ever heard of this?
I have heard all kinds of opinions and myths over the last 25 years that I have used Amsoil synthetic oils in all my bikes. If Amsoil or synthetics in general had a real down side to using them I haven't found it yet. This mechanic is getting close to joining the rest of the technical community by at least recommending it for the motor, but still has a ways to go. As far as leaks go, HD has had leak problems from day one and if the gaskets and flange tolerances are in spec it doesn't matter what base of oil you use. If you decide you want me to get some Amsoil for you let me know, as I have a real cheap method of getting oil to you if you are in honolulu.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:41 PM   #55 (permalink)
FNG :)

ima noone wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've heard the crud about syn oil making motors leak. I went to syn. about 2 years ago in a 77 shovel and it didn't hurt a thing.
1973 R75S BMW
ima noone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #56 (permalink)
Viel Vergnügen

vindex1963 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csoday View Post
By doing this now, I will greatly reduce my post count and hopefully free up masive amounts of bandwidth. I give you :

Use any good oil or SYN, change at regular intervals, use the stock (or premium) filter, stock oil pump, and an oil cooler if you live south of the Mason Dixon.
And, YES Syn 3 (if that’s your choice) works great in all 3 holes

This is my standard answer to any and all oil threads
There are 28 pages of oil questions. I don't think anybody is reading this.

Please vote for Ride of the Month

Have a question about the site look here.

2015 Victory Cross Country
vindex1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Roadfrog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amsoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by george douglas View Post
I wouldn't put much credence in a HD mechanics opinion concerning oil unless they are independent thinkers and have had some lubrication training. They may know what they are doing as far as the bike goes, but if they still stick to the party line then they are just repeating what they have been told for the last 30 years or more. It amazes me to still hear some mechanics stating that synthetics are going to ruin your bearings. I am still waiting for that to happen for the last 24 years that I have used sythetics in my bikes.
I too buy my oil from George and he didn't pay me to write this. In addition to a Harley, I have two Honda sport bikes and a BMW rocket, and I'm not a bike bigot (got too many though!). I use the Harley to putz around in and the other three flying around the Gap and mountains in NC and N. Ga.

The Harley's have a tendency to run hot and never have I had a problem though. The rockets run high rpm's (redline on a K1200R in any gear and yur flying) and they all ran stronger after "breaking in" (I really don't think new bikes need to be broken in) and going with Amsoil at 600 miles. I'll be calling you for more soon George. Amsoil is tough stuff.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #58 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
my oil temp dropped by driving up to the mountains; above 6000 ft.:rofl back:

2018 Heritage classic 114 red iron
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #59 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo361 View Post

i use amsoill 20-50 mcv inall 3 holes. go to the track often, spin the motor to 6800-7200 rpm and bang gears, also, burn the clutch on launch. notta problem. i see guys running the other stuff replacing clutch discs after two weekends at the track, i still have oem discs!

george doesnt pay me----------------------but i will take that free case if you aint gonna use it.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #60 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Amsoil Dealer Group wants to know Dino or Syn?
You guys are much to kind.
george
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in