My standard answer - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > Technical Discussion Forums > Engine Oils and Lubrication
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Hellbound Train

csoday is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien
But Chuck, how about them cam chains LOL
Evidently, SYN3 is the fix for them also

'03 FXSTBI 103" Stroker
112 hp -- 121 tq
100% S.E.

My V Twin Gallery
csoday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

honus402 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Trooper: Please tell me that Honda Mower is a pushrod and not one of those new-fangled overhead cam things.
honus402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
I'm a REAL biker

OKC Fatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
No oil cooler

Gear cams, Amsoil, Head porting by SBC. My bike went from 250 to 210 running 75 mph in 100 degree weather. Don't need the oil cooler. Don't need the Andrews 37 G cam probably either, but it sure is NICE!

Bob
OKC Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

dcfatboy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Syn 3 in NoVA

I just got Syn 3 in all 3 holes yesterday at Whitt's with my 10k service. When I got home, my led oil dipstick showed 248 degrees. I was mostly on highway (20 of 27 miles). Will the temps start to fall as time goes on?

Now
2018 FLHTK Shrine Edition in Fire Engine Red - SE Stage I (77.23 HP, 98.30 TQ - 4th gear)
Was

04 FLHTCUI in lava red sunglo
Daniel Stern Lighting
Cycle Electric 50A Charging System
AMS 96" BB, Heads and Lifters
Cometic .040 head gasket
Andrews 26G cams
Bassani Tru-Duals
Rush Slash Down mufflers (2.0" baffles)
Arlen Ness Big Sucker with SE backplate
Power Commander V with AutoTune, LCD display
82.44 HP, 97.59 TQ (5th gear, PCIII USB)
87 octane gas
dcfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Infidel

wyodude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfatboy
Will the temps start to fall as time goes on?
No.

I tried syn3 and found it wasn't any better than dino for lowering oil temperature.

Try Red Line 20w50 or 20w60HD. MTL in your primary and Heavy Shockproof in your tranny. Then you will notice significant lowering of your oil temp.

You can get it from OG Racing in Manassas: http://www.ogracing.com/

Free shipping on orders over $100. It'll be overnight shipping since you (and I) are so close.

regards,

wyo
Old 07-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
I just got Syn 3 in all 3 holes yesterday at Whitt's with my 10k service. When I got home, my led oil dipstick showed 248 degrees. I was mostly on highway (20 of 27 miles). Will the temps start to fall as time goes on?

If it hasn't lowered your temperatures by now it isn't going to. You may have a fueling condition that no matter who's oil you are using won't drop the oil temperature. With that said I feel that Amsoil will help and as far as red line goes I don't have any personal experience with it to make a comment on it's cooling ability. Generally though any true synthetic should drop temperatures under high heat loads.
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2005, 12:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
The ONLY Italian in Ala.

ecenzo1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRider
This is my standard answer to which oil:

Why do we spend thousands more on a motorcycle, thousands on chrome and other goodies trying to make it "our bike", a couple hundred to have the best tires, a few hundred to thousands to get more HP, spend countless hours cleaning and polishing our bikes and then, cry because the few dollars extra to buy a quality oil and filter that is proven to make our bikes, run smoother, have a lower operating temp, create more HP and have less wear ?
I made the same point in a previously posted thread. All this pissin' and moanin' about spending a few extra bucks on good lubricant. I was rebuked by a few folks who stated in no uncertain terms they would NEVER spend more than a couple dollars per quart for oil. This from people who spent close to $20K for a motorcycle. Kinda like building a $250,000 home and then only allowing $500 for landscaping. Just doesn't make sense. This is America however, everybody can do what they want...
ecenzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2005, 08:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

temp drop

Thanks, Wyo and George. I will monitor the temp and probably change brands at my next service. I will also drop by one of the local HD dealerships and talk to the service guys about the oil. (It will probably be Ft. Washington because I know more people over there and some of the folk think more outside the box. However, I still prefer any work to be done by Whitt's.)

Now
2018 FLHTK Shrine Edition in Fire Engine Red - SE Stage I (77.23 HP, 98.30 TQ - 4th gear)
Was

Daniel Stern Lighting
Cometic .040 head gasket
Andrews 26G cams
Bassani Tru-Duals
87 octane gas
Old 07-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #24 (permalink)
VTF Site Sponsor

georgedouglas is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Thanks, Wyo and George. I will monitor the temp and probably change brands at my next service. I will also drop by one of the local HD dealerships and talk to the service guys about the oil. (It will probably be Ft. Washington because I know more people over there and some of the folk think more outside the box. However, I still prefer any work to be done by Whitt's.)
I wouldn't put much credence in a HD mechanics opinion concerning oil unless they are independent thinkers and have had some lubrication training. They may know what they are doing as far as the bike goes, but if they still stick to the party line then they are just repeating what they have been told for the last 30 years or more. It amazes me to still hear some mechanics stating that synthetics are going to ruin your bearings. I am still waiting for that to happen for the last 24 years that I have used sythetics in my bikes.
Buying Amsoil from us, your forum sponsor, helps to support this site. Orders are shipped ASAP from our nearest US or Canadian warehouse. FREE SHIPPING on most orders! Call for details and price quotes.
[email protected] or 1-800-887-6698 or http://oilhelp.com/motorcycles
georgedouglas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2005, 10:55 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Roger that, George.

Thanks

Now
Was

Daniel Stern Lighting
Cometic .040 head gasket
Andrews 26G cams
Bassani Tru-Duals
87 octane gas
Old 08-12-2005, 04:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Springer

Rich g wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-footn
My oil temperature dropped from 250-60, to 200-210 with head work.
My temperature usually goes up with head work.
How strange is the lot of us mortals! Each of us is here for a brief sojourn;for what purpose we know not, though sometimes sense it. But we know from daily life that we exist for other people first of all for whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends.
--Albert Einstein
Rich g is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2005, 12:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
The Alter Ego

Rock wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich g
My temperature usually goes up with head work.
ain't it the truth!

Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 09:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Premium Member

jbxmn wants to know Dino or Syn?
What's a widget? Where can I get one? I know I need one.
jbxmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2006, 11:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

slowride04 wants to know Dino or Syn?
amsoil

I have a truck 2 cars and an EG. All are filled with Amsoil bought from George.
He is the oil man.
slowride04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2006, 07:18 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Red02FXST wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by george douglas
The original type is being replaced with the latest greatest version. They will be phasing out the original one. The new one has the latest additive chemistry in the industry and even carries a gearlube spec. It has better rust protection than any oils on the market. Amsoil is always trying to improve their oils even when you think they may have the best already. I don't know how much better they can make a motorcycle oil that already was a top performer. I took an oil sample from one of my customers 03 ultra after it had put 9721 miles on the Amsoil and the the report came back so good I could have sold the oil again and this was with the older version. I just got a report back from a 04 road king using syn3 with 3800 miles on the oil and it sheared down to a 40 weight. The wear though did look good. I wonder how much thinner it would have been at 5,000 miles. I would think that Harley would have had the oil company that makes their oil use better additive chemistry to keep the shearing of the oil down.
George;
This is great information. You know your stuff. I have been using AMSOIL products for 20 years now with NO adverse problems or oil related problems whatsoever. How many Oil makers have a "Warranty" like Amsoil.
http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx
I have used the AMSOIL motorcylce oil for 4 years in mine now. 16000 trouble free miles in Maryland.
Red02FXST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:
Motorcycle Year/Make
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.

Log-in